Natural Birth
Options

Super long transition?

So I've been meaning to look up what transition is supposed to feel like for a while now, because I didn't really distinctly feel anything that felt like "transition" to me (I had my first almost 7 weeks ago; ticker won't update)- I went from getting through the contractions to pushing without anything discernible in between (no rest and be thankful period either). I couldn't remember what the description of that stage was so I just finally looked it up today. Strangely, the description of transition was how I would have described almost my WHOLE labor- feeling like I couldn't do it, hot and cold flashes, shivering and shaking, unable to get comfortable in any position... I never really had or felt what is described as active labor, it seems like I went right from early labor to transition and stayed in transition for a really long time (I'd probably say close to a day, though I didn't really keep track of how long anything lasted while I was in my birthing time). Is this possible? Has anyone else experienced anything like this? I'm just really curious about it now.

For the record- I DID do it, and had my baby naturally and at home in a birth tub and it was amazing. =)  

Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Super long transition?

• Options
    Its unlikely you had a long transition. That part usually goes the fastest. What is more likely to have happened is you went from active & cruised through transition pretty quickly. Active labor could have felt like transition to you & thats OK, you did it. Women can react differently that what the "book" says. As a midwife I used to think I could tell a lot from a womans behavior where she was in labor. But the more babies I catch, the more I realize everyone is different & sometimes I get a surprise! I'm guessing you didn't have an exam or you'd have your answer.
    TTC since 1/2008
    BFP 7/2009 m/c
    BFP 9/2009 m/c
    Clomid IUI 12/2010, 1/2011, 2/2011 All BFN
    IVF #1 6/2011 BFN, no frosties
    IVF #2 2/2012 BFP
    DD born 10/2012
    FET 9/3/2013 BFN, no more frosties
    IVF # 3 11/3/13 Canceled after retrieval d/t severe OHSS, 3 frosties
    FET #3 2/2014 BFP Twins!
    B/G Twins born 9/2014 at 36w4d

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    DD was coming down crooked, and only half of my cervix was dilating.  I was in transition for about 4hrs--possibly longer.  My OB broke my water when I was an 8 hoping to help speed things along and I was already in transition I think a while before that.  Contractions were just non-stop and very painful.  It got worse after my water broke, but I wasn't to a 10 until 4hrs later.  From what I've heard, it was a long transition and not typical.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"