Military Families

Has anybody worked at the CDC?

I'm contemplating going back to work, but I really hate the thought of leaving my dd. Somebody mentioned the idea of working at a daycare. I never really considered this before. I was sort of looking for a job that pays better and is more relevant to my degree. However, I was told many daycares give either free tuition or greatly discounted. I was wondering if this would be true with the CDC on base. I kind of doubt it, but I thought I would check and see if anybody knew.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Has anybody worked at the CDC?

• I worked at the CDC for a hot second.  There is tuition assistance but you have to be an employee for 6 months first.  The pay is decent and there are varying schedules(morning, full time, afternoon).  I worked with the two year olds on the afternoon shift.  I quit after about 4 months, mostly because I had 2 classes to finish my Master's beginning and knew we were going to move soon, but a little bit because it was driving me nutso.  I can't say it was terrible but it wasn't my cup of tea. It was a lot of work-cleaning constantly, changing tons of diapers, and dealing with parents who treated me like a babysitter...which I was but I am also an experienced public school teacher with 2 more classes until I obtained my Master's degree who was just waiting for my CA teaching certificate to go through...I think I can handle putting sunscreen on your sweet munchkin!  I was really specific about the cleanliness of my classroom and my kids so I probably made more work for myself but I took care of those babies like they were my own.

I would suggest the CDC over any day care out in town because they are very understanding of the military life and pay better.  Working with the kids can be very rewarding.  If you don't mind all of the cleaning and diaper changing, go for it.

• P.S. I worked at a MCCS CDC.  I am assuming the CDC's at all of the installations, despite the branch of service, are similar in their benefits, but just wanted to clarify.
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks for the info! I don't really LOVE watching people's kids, to be perfectly honest, but if it means I get to be with or near my daughter, I'll make the sacrifice. I'm currently sitting in my home for one other girl. My daughter enjoys her immensely, and that makes me happy.
  • imageSamiantha101:
    Thanks for the info! I don't really LOVE watching people's kids, to be perfectly honest, but if it means I get to be with or near my daughter, I'll make the sacrifice. I'm currently sitting in my home for one other girl. My daughter enjoys her immensely, and that makes me happy.

If you don't love being with other people's children, this is not the job for you. You will get burnt out WAY too easily. I have seen a lot of providers who you can tell don't like their job, and a lot who do. It's not difficult to pick them out.
    Also, I know that most CDC's won't allow you to be in the same room with your child, since it can lead to favoritism. Also, you may not be at the same CDC that your child is at. Here at Carson we have more than a handful of different CDC's.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagepanicked228:

imageSamiantha101:
    Thanks for the info! I don't really LOVE watching people's kids, to be perfectly honest, but if it means I get to be with or near my daughter, I'll make the sacrifice. I'm currently sitting in my home for one other girl. My daughter enjoys her immensely, and that makes me happy.

If you don't love being with other people's children, this is not the job for you. You will get burnt out WAY too easily. I have seen a lot of providers who you can tell don't like their job, and a lot who do. It's not difficult to pick them out.
    Also, I know that most CDC's won't allow you to be in the same room with your child, since it can lead to favoritism. Also, you may not be at the same CDC that your child is at. Here at Carson we have more than a handful of different CDC's.

I've been watching children since before I was a teenager. I've never loved it, ever. However, I do love my daughter. I think I can make this sort of sacrifice. I'm not looking for a lifelong career out of this. I'm just not comfortable being away from my daughter for 8 to 10 hours a day yet. I actually don't mind if she is in another room, to be honest.
  • Bexx24Bexx24 member

At the CDC I worked at there was no discount. You'd have to work full time to make your money back. Also- hated the CDC. Not nearly as nice as other center's I've worked at and the ladies were MEAN. I have a feeling they were just a bunch of chicks looking for an easy job on base.

Other things, you don't get to work in the same classroom as your kid. FYI.

And it's a HARD job. The back ground check took nearly a month as well. Don't get into it if it's not a career passion. Cuz it's so not worth it.

• Bexx24Bexx24 member

imagetoppingheyler:
    P.S. I worked at a MCCS CDC.  I am assuming the CDC's at all of the installations, despite the branch of service, are similar in their benefits, but just wanted to clarify.

Also worked at an MCCS CDC, out of curiosity if you don't mind me asking, which one did you work at?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"