Natural Birth
Options

Would a midwife focused hospital be more natural friendly?

I'm just thinking out loud...
I had a semi-natural birth the first go around (21 hours of labor, had a spinal block that lasted for 45 minutes that I got at hour 19 because I thought being at 10 meant I was ready to push, pushed for 2 hours, no progress, got the block to relax, it wore off, and was able to push for only 30 more minutes and baby was born!)

I delivered at a great hospital, less than a 5 minute walk from my house and lucked out with the natural friendly OB (3 other doctors that have a rep. for not being natural friendly).

I recently found out that a hospital 30 minutes away (in the town where my DH works) has it set up like a birthing center in a level II hospital. (You meet with midwives, midwives deliver, this hospital actually has lactation consultants, my other one didn't... etc)

Is it crazy to want to drive 30 minutes to a different hospital to be with midwives? My husband would also be able to attend appointments because it is close to his work, but with a little one, do I want to be a half hour away from him? Obviously he won't visit that often while we're in the hospital, and we would be home 48 hours later anyways, but do I risk leaving a nice hospital so I can deliver with midwives and hopefully be able to go completely natural the next time? Are midwives that awesome to have compared to an OB?

BabyFruit Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Would a midwife focused hospital be more natural friendly?

• Options
    I'd switch rather than play the OB lotto again and hope you get lucky. I think the midwife philosophy of birth just makes more sense, and I don't really think half an hour is THAT far. People go much farther for good care.
  • Options

A half hour isn't all that far. The closest hospital to us is that far. I delivered DD at a hospital an hour away, and depending on whether my midwife practice has enough midwives by when I go in labor I will either be at the closer or further hospital again. I'd personally prefer to use midwives, but the even bigger thing that impacts labor interventions is not to go to the hospital till in final stages of labor. Most women who had a really successful natural birth (though certainly not all) seem either to have had home births, or stayed home as long as possible. I can tell from your description if you were home for a lot of it, but the further along you are, they less they can do anyway.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

LOVE the OB lotto hahaha :) That is exactly what it is!

I'm really leaning towards this idea now. My husband thought I was being silly for wanting to switch.

Thank you everyone :)

BabyFruit Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options

Not crazy at all!  When I lived in California I picked the hospital 25 minutes away for the very same reason- it had a midwife run birth center in the hospital!  They were awesome too, I'm still a little sad I won't be delivering there.

When we moved to MN at 32 weeks I debated for a looooong time and finally decided on a hospital that is almost an hour and a half away from my home because it's run by family doctors, not OBs, and way more NB friendly.  I'm willing to travel for the piece of mind it gives me.  I also found a doctor who was absolutely awesome and makes me miss my midwifes less.

B born 7/15/13, C born 3/2/15, #3 on the way May '17

I’m a modern man, a man for the millennium. Digital and smoke free. A diversified multi-cultural, post-modern deconstruction that is anatomically and ecologically incorrect. I’ve been up linked and downloaded, I’ve been inputted and outsourced, I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading. I’m a high-tech low-life. A cutting edge, state-of-the-art bi-coastal multi-tasker and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond! I’m new wave, but I’m old school and my inner child is outward bound. I’m a hot-wired, heat seeking, warm-hearted cool customer, voice activated and bio-degradable. I interface with my database, my database is in cyberspace, so I’m interactive, I’m hyperactive and from time to time I’m radioactive.

• Options
    I don't think it's crazy at all! The birth center I go to is about 30 min. away from our home. I love the midwives there and how they care so much about you and your birthing experience. Do what's best and most comfortable for you. ::mobile smiley::
  • Options
    I don't think a half hour is too far at all, and it sounds like a great option. Go for it!
  • Options
    I drove 45-60 minutes depending on traffic to be at a hospital with midwives.  It was completely worth it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm passing up a hospital that's seriously 5 blocks from me to deliver at a birth center with a midwife team that's 30 to 45 minutes farther from my house AND work. My work is already 40 minutes away. Convenience wasn't one of my must haves when picking out my midwife.
  • Options
    I don't think it's crazy at all! I'm not going that far away, but I am driving 20 minutes when I live quite literally next door to another hospital. But the further hospital has a midwife program.
    When researching, I looked up the caesarian rates of each hospital. The nearby doctor-heavy hospital has a 21% caesarian rate. The further, midwife-friendly one has an 11% caesarian rate. Decision made!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
    N '13 November Siggy Challenge- Baby Pictures

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"