Babies: 9 - 12 Months

1 year old wont eat "real" food.

So our son will be a year on Saturday and he still won't touch anything with texture. He has had pretty severe allergies (peanuts, eggs, soy, dogs,) he also would have reactions to orange things like sweet potatoes and green beans (his face turns red the next day, yeah 10 hours later kind of weird). So we couldn't really start to "feed" him until 10 months when he seemed to be having less reactions to things. He takes 1,2,3 foods just fine but hates anything homemade even if its pureed a lot. I made sweet potatoes the other day and he wouldn't touch them made horrible gagging noises and such. And refuses to stick food in his mouth lol. I am thinking I  might give him up till 18 months before I really worry since he is about 5 months behind in the actual feeding process, but he does know how to chew, he chews his spoon just not food. Still though any ideas on what to do to get him to chew?
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: 1 year old wont eat "real" food.

• My opinion is that you just keep offering. If you really think about it, he will not grow up to be an adult that only eats pureed food so just relax and keep offering a variety of foods. He might surprise you and accept some of them.

My DS ate pureed bananas with a passion but when I offered the real thing, he would not eat them and then one day, he just did and ate a whole banana. Try giving him soups and stews and things that you can spoon feed him and that are similar to pureed foods so that he can have a taste for other foods and then keep offering finger foods.  And don't stress, he'll eventually catch on (even if he remains a picky eater).

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Me: 38 DH: 36
    Married 8/27/2011
    BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
    BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
    BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
    BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
    BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
    BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

• I would just keep offering, try new foods too and let him play with his food as much as he wants, don't worry about mess. It will eventually work out.

DS really loves soft pasta with pur?ed veggies as a sauce. He also loves fish (pollock mostly) and the fish is really soft and flakes nicely which makes it very easy to eat. We just bake it plain and give him a large chunk he can hold on to and it flakes into soft pieces in his mouth.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPicPhotobucket
  • Loading the player...
  • You admitted that he's "about 5 months behind in the actual feeding process."  If that's the case, then you should do what you would have done 5 months ago if he wasn't behind.  Keep offering foods.  5 months ago you would have had the same "gagging reactions," so just keep offering.  He'll get the hang of it.  I definitely wouldn't give up.  There's a lot to learn with swallowing, chewing, textures, etc. that you don't want to keep him away from.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"