Birth Stories

not sure where else to post

I just hit 6 months.. And I'm starting to finally really think about labor.. And I really dont think I can do this. I mean like actually go through labor. I know there is no turning back. And I dont regret being pregnant. Its just that im freaking out! What if im not strong enough? Or what if something goes wrong? How will I know when to csll thr doc? Or if im alone... Im super panicked right now.

Re: not sure where else to post

• My first pregnancy I was 19 and alone. I was definitely terrified.

Women are MADE for this. Your body has a million different strategies to grow, harbor, and DELIVER a baby. It IS painful. And it's a major life event! But your body was built to do it. I had an epidural and that helped me but if you're planning to go naturally, maybe look around for some childbirth classes?

Fear of the unknown is healthy, I think. You ARE strong enough. 

As far as when to call, there's a rule of thumb. You could call as soon as your water breaks or as soon as you start feeling contractions but your doctor probably won't recommend you head to the hospital until you are having contractions that last 1 full minute, are 5 min apart or less and that pattern has been holding steady for a while. 

Best wishes fellow baby maker!

Married: 9.22.12 - DD: 1.7.14 - EDD 2: 10.30.17 - J14 OG
  • I am a 1st timer too, so freaked out there with you. It may sound lame, but I think it's one of those things where once it starts, you just get into the zone. Like any painful or stressful situation, it's horrible to think about, horrible during it happening, but afterwards you may not even remember it much. Like anything in life, as long as you are still breathing, all you can do is wait to get through it!
    image image BabyFruit Ticker First Jelly Bean EDD Jan 26 2014 - 1 day before MY birthday!
  • Loading the player...
  • I found this little quote on Pinterest. It helps. I wish I could post it on here but idk how to do pics.
  • Like a PP mentioned, fear of the unknown makes it seem (A LOT) worse than it is. Educate yourself, either through classes, videos, or books. The more you know, the more prepared you will be.

I'm an avid reader, and I got a lot out of The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth by Henci Goer, as well as What to Expect When You're Expecting. I highly recommend both of them. 

• thellxthellx member

I feel the same way. I've been terrified of labor and delivery ever since I was old enough to understand how it works, and now that it's approaching I have anxiety about it almost every single day. 

One of my big concerns is that I'll be home alone when I go into labor. My husband is in his medical residency, and so most days he's working 12 hour shifts. We are trying to figure out a way to make arrangements for family members to take turns coming over/staying here when we get within a week or two of my due date to lessen the possibility that I'll be home alone when that happens.

I also worry that there will be some sort of complication that prevents me from being able to get an epidural or forces me to have a "med free" birth; such as not getting to the hospital in time for the epidural, or the epidural not working. My husband also told me that even with the epidural, I should expect to feel some pain or discomfort when delivering, so that scares me. I have a very low pain tolerance and I worry that the pain will just be overwhelming and I won't physically be able to handle it. 

• Like other posters have said, educate yourself. Read "Ina May's Guide to Natural Childbirth"- not only if you want a natural birth or with epidural, but it's great stories from women on their deliveries and also it explains the medical procedures you may face. It really helped me feel confident and ready for delivery. We are made to birth children and it is up to you to be ready emotionally. You are not alone in feeling that way, but you have time to get prepared. Good luck!
    Best of luck! Veronica :)Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • All I can say is get the epidural! I enjoyed my birth once I got it :)
  • I'm a FTM also and expecting in the next 4 weeks or so. I have anxiety about labor as well. What helps me is to think of all the women who have done this since the existence of humans! It is natural. And it is temporary. Thinking about it this way may help. Even a 30 hour labor which would be absolutely brutal but can happen is still temporary. You just have to take it one step at a time. Hope that helps
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"