Pre-School and Daycare

4yo and food issues

DD has always been a very picky eater.  She has gotten better about some things and will try new foods occasionally, with some coaxing.  However, mealtimes are still extremely frustrating because of the pickiness she shows over her food.  Like tonight, we had chicken made in the crockpot.  She had an absolute meltdown because there were tiny specks of seasoning on her chicken.  Before I even put the chicken on her plate, I knew this would be an issue so I scraped off as much seasoning as I could.  I guess there was some still left (hardly any, and definitely not even enough to taste) and she flipped out over it and wouldn't touch her chicken.  This is a daily occurrence...if she sees anything on her food she won't touch it.  Any kind of seasoning, any kind of sauce she won't eat it.  For example when my DH makes lasagna.  She wants every.single.ingredient scraped off.  I essentially have to peel apart the layers and scrape everything off, so all that's left is the plain noodles.  She also won't eat things that are mixed together.  No casseroles, no stir fries, no pasta mixed with other things, no rice with veggies.  If things aren't separated out, so she can see everything she's eating, she won't eat it.  She's also picky about her fruit.  When she eats a banana, she tears the ends off because she says they're "too wet" (whatever that means).  She won't eat blueberries or grapes that have the slightest bit of give when you press them.  If they're not hard, she won't eat them.  It's just bizarre to me and it feels like she's too old to be doing this stuff still.  Any ideas?

ETA:  We no longer make her a separate meal, unless we're having something we absolutely know she won't like (like if it's spicy or something).  Otherwise she gets what we're having.  However, I do modify it based on her pickiness.  So if we're having pasta, I give it to her without the sauce.  Or if we're having a stirfry, I'll separate out the chicken, rice, and veggies for her.  I will also scrape off any seasoning or anything I know she won't like.  For awhile this has seemed easier, because I figured she's at least eating.  But now I'm wondering if it's catering too much to her pickiness and we should just give her the food as is??? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: 4yo and food issues

• my daughter went through this phase my husband caters to her picky eating habits but I do not I make food and put it on her plate if she's hungry she eats if she's not hungry then she doesn't eat , I just cover the plate and keep it until she asks for food then give it to her
  • imageaiche Umm Ayoub:
    my daughter went through this phase my husband caters to her picky eating habits but I do not I make food and put it on her plate if she's hungry she eats if she's not hungry then she doesn't eat , I just cover the plate and keep it until she asks for food then give it to her

This. However I don't torture DD with spicy food because she really does not like it and would starve herself vs eat it. So when I am cooking things with certain spices I'll cook the meat separate, take her portion out, then add seasoning. If we have stir fry I can give her meat and veggies mixed, but instead of over her rice Ill put it next to it. I don't cater, but I also know what my kids don't like and I'll do my best not to force them to eat things they consistently don't like. If I'm cooking something for DH and I that I know they absolutely won't eat, they can have raw veggies, Greek yogurt, and a cereal bar.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"