December 2011 Moms

Do you stay in touch with high school friends?

I have a few that I'm friends with on face book but don't really talk to them. One of the girl's I was close to in high school just posted she's pregnant again, she'll have 2 kids a year apart exactly. I texted her a congrats and she just talked about herself and didn't ask about me or DS which I think is crappy. I don't know if I just grew up or she just got really selfish. It's also high school friends so I guess I shouldn't expect too much!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Do you stay in touch with high school friends?

• I grew up in a small town and many of my friends are people I went to K-12th grade with, so we are a pretty tight knit bunch. I wish that we got together as a big group more often, but we all live in different places and have careers, about half of us are married with kids, so it makes it hard. Sadly, we mainly keep up over FB because it's the easiest way to share with everyone at the same time, but we try to call each other too.

Sounds like your "friend" is lacking basic conversation skills! 

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Loading the player...
  • Leap08Leap08 member

The people I was closest to in high school I keep in touch with and usually get together with once a year or so. I don't live near any of them.

I am facebook friends with most of my graduating class and with a lot of people who were in the grades around mine. I grew up in a small town and went to school with the majority of them from k-12. It's kind of nice to know what most people are up to these days.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I'm facebook friends with a lot of people from high school (I also went to a small school and have know many of them since kindergarten) but I only keep in touch with a couple of them outside of FB.
    OHM born 12/16/11, BAM born 1/10/14, mmc 06/30/15
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • CWSKHCCWSKHC member

I had great high school friendships, ones I thought would last forever, but I only keep in touch with one of them now and that's just threw random texts and the bi-annual phone calls. It's crazy to me because I too grew up in a very small town and my best friend from high school only lives 30 minutes away and is pregnant with her first, but we haven't talked in years! We grew apart when I moved away for college, then she stopped being there for me during the most exciting/hardest parts of my life, so I slowly gave up on her. I think after high school you really discover who you are as a person, and those people who were meant to be in your life still will be!

By the way Jcmmahon21 - I think it's totally crappy of your friend to not even ask about your son!!! I would've been so mad! Ya see...my high school best friend would've done the exact same thing. She's notorious for only wanting to talk about herself... another reason why I gave up. You shouldn't have to compete with your best friend.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• ccip82ccip82 member

I had a close group of high school friends that I was friends with up until around 24...then some of grew up and others did not. I am only close to about two of them now...but I rarely see them because I live so far away. We have the type of friendship though were we can pick up exactly where we left off.

I am "friends" with a lot of my former high school classmates on FB, but I really do not talk to them outside of FB.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

sibling love  

• imageCWSKHC:

I had great high school friendships, ones I thought would last forever, but I only keep in touch with one of them now and that's just threw random texts and the bi-annual phone calls. It's crazy to me because I too grew up in a very small town and my best friend from high school only lives 30 minutes away and is pregnant with her first, but we haven't talked in years! We grew apart when I moved away for college, then she stopped being there for me during the most exciting/hardest parts of my life, so I slowly gave up on her. I think after high school you really discover who you are as a person, and those people who were meant to be in your life still will be!

By the way Jcmmahon21 - I think it's totally crappy of your friend to not even ask about your son!!! I would've been so mad! Ya see...my high school best friend would've done the exact same thing. She's notorious for only wanting to talk about herself... another reason why I gave up. You shouldn't have to compete with your best friend.

I grew up in a small town too and only keep in touch with one friend and we don't really have anything in common anymore. As for the "friend" that didn't ask about my son, yea it is crappy but I don't know why I'm surprised she's always been like that I guess you don't really see things until you get older. I don't know why I try anymore with some people it's not worth it! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• I have several friends from hs on fb but only talk to a couple regularly, if you can even call it that. Most people I graduated with have never grown up. I truly only have one close friend my age and she and I went to college together. The few other friends I have are older and then I have my cousins who are also older but some of my best friends. It's sad that I don't have more close friends, but really, I would rather have a couple of close friends that I know I can call at 3 am and they would be there for me, than have 30 'fair weather friends', if that makes sense. Most people my age are still in the drinking, partying, out every night frame of mind and I just can't connect with them. A lot of people I went to high school with are still working on their bachelor degree and I've had my masters for 2 years. So I just choose to see their fun pics on fb but not really ever plan a lunch date to watch them get wasted at noon.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Well since I don't have FB I really only talk to 2.  And those 2 I have been friends with forever!  One all my life (seriously - her mom was my baby sitter when I was 6 weeks old) and she's like a sister.  She lives in Florida now and is pregnant with her 4th, so she's very busy and we don't talk much, but when we do its like old times.

The other I played soccer with in 5th/6th grade but wasn't friends until the first day of 7th grade when she sat next to me in choir.  She lives in our hometown in Ohio but I make it back maybe once a year now but we still get together and have fun. 

All 3 of us went ot the same college too so we've been through a lot together but I know they will always be in my life. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I'm FB friends with a lot of people I went to high school with (most of us went K-12 together), but I wouldn't say we "stay in touch" even though I know what's going on in their lives because of status updates and photos. Beyond comments on photos and wishing each other happy birthday, we really have no contact.

The people that I consider true friends - from high school, college, and various places we've lived - are the ones that I stay in touch with outside FB (email, Skype, texting, vacations together, etc.).

Going by that definition, I'd say that girl isn't selfish (although, definitely rude!), she's just not your friend.

~ Married 10.30.04 ~
    DS1 born 12.31.11 ~ DS2 born 2.4.14

• I'm "friends" on FB with most of the people I went to high school with (also grew up in a small town) but they're all on my restricted list and I wouldn't consider any of them my actual friend now. I don't see any of them in person unless I go back home and I happen to run into them by chance. Sometimes it makes me sad that we grew apart. But, I live 900 miles away now and it's just tough to keep in close contact being so far away. I'm still really close with quite a few girls from college though.

Anyways, as far as your friend, it does seem quite rude. But, she could have just been so caught up in the hype and excitement that she didn't even realize she was being rude. I always try give people the benefit of the doubt...

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • RicolaRicola member
    No, I don't have many friends from Germany left. The big distance really kills friendships. I've been in Germany in 2010 for the last time and that just seems to be too long for most. 
    DS born 12/2011
    DD born 03/2014

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"