Pregnant after 35
Options

First Tri Screening Results - meh

My dr called to say that my first tri screening blood work results are showing an elevated risk for downs.  1:60.  Yea, it's high but I am 38 years old so not super surprising.  He recommended that I have genetic counseling to discuss further testing.  Luckily I already set up that appointment, because of my age. 

At my NT scan the tech told me that my measurement was 1.6 and I know that anything over a 3 is a red flag.  That is helping to calm my nerves.

I am currently a special education teacher who specializes in moderate/severe disabilities and the thought of downs shouldn't be all that scary, but suddenly it kinda is.  I have taught many, many students with downs.  I know that my students live full and productive lives.  Often more full and productive than their typical peers ;)  I am just nervous because I had certain dreams and plans for this child and I may have to changes those.

So I don't really have a question, but I would love to hear if anyone is going through or has gone through the same thing.  Also, I need some good vibes sent my way.

Thanks!

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: First Tri Screening Results - meh

• Options
    Geeps2Geeps2 member
    I haven't gone through this but a good friend of mine did and her risk was 1 in 20 and during her NT scan it showed shadows on the heart which is a soft marker.  Her son is almost 2 and absolutley perfect.  Good Luck I bet this is just one of those false alarms.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options

Good vibes coming your way!  I had a 1:69 risk w/ DS when I was 37, didn't have a NT scan (tried to, but was further along than we thought, like, by 2 weeks...he was a "surprise"! LOL).  Met w/ the genetic counselor, set up a Level II US, and everything looked fine w/ no soft markers, but I had an amnio anyway b/c I needed to know.  The MaterniT21 wasn't available at that time, but I definitely would have had it done if it had been.  The amnio was scary, but everything turned out just fine! 

With DD (age 38), my risk was much lower (can't remember the exact # but I think 1:1600 or something) and I debated the Mat21...decided against it because of my #s and that everything w/ DS turned out fine with "worse" #s.

Chances are VERY good that your LO will be fine, but do whatever you need to to feel comfortable!  With the Mat21 available now, being non-invasive, is a great way to put your mind at ease without the risks involved in invasive testing!  Super Good Luck to you! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm so glad you posted this, ur situation is a lot like mine. I'm 36 with a ratio of 1/86. I've been so depressed. You've given me new terminology to use when I go for my second testing.
  • Options
    Btw what does the number 3 mean? What does that number stand for?
  • Options
    I tested positive with a risk of 1 in 231. I go for a level 2 ultrasound next week. I've decided if they see any soft markers and recommend an amnio I will decline. I wouldn't terminate the pregnancy because of a downs baby so to me it just isn't worth the risk. My dr has been very optimistic and says most of the time everything turns out to be normal so I'm not going to let myself worry. Try to think positive and not get ahead of yourself. You just have a risk, not a diagnosis. Everything could be perfectly fine. Hugs.
    Me:41, DH:41 Positive for MTHFR mutations- one copy C677T, one copy A1298C. One daughter born on Thanksgiving in 2013. Six losses.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"