Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Crib and rolling...

My LO is 16 weeks today and has been sleeping in her crib starting this week and yesterday started being a rolling queen (her neck strength is also great and she will hang out on her belly with her head held high for a long time on her play mat)...I put her to bed last night and she woke up once at midnight and then I just happened to wake up at 5 and look at the monitor and saw her on her belly but with her face in the mattress!  It freaked me out so bad and I ran in there and picked her up and put her in her rock n play for the rest of the morning...but I told daycare and also my SIL who is an occupational therapist with a 18 week old and 2 year old and neither seemed concerned!  Not that that matters, but I just expected everyone to freak like I did- does anyone have experience with this?  What are your thoughts?  My initial reaction is to only have her nap in the crib and wait until she's been rolling more and then try the crib out again.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Crib and rolling...

• Options

If they can roll, they can safely sleep on their belly. We're actually having this same conversation in another post on this board. Once baby starts rolling, you'll spend all night watching them, flipping them, etc. if you don't want them sleeping on their belly.  Docs mostly agree - put them down on their backs, if they flip, let them be.

DS has been rolling for a couple of weeks and prefers sleeping on his belly. He adjusts his head as needed and has been fine. He does tend to cry if he wakes up, wanting us to flip him back, rather than rolling from front to back (he can totally do this, just prefers to wake us up in the middle of the night!). 

Cervical Cancer Survivor since 2007 TTC Since 2008 IUI#1 = BFN IUI#2 = BFN IUI#3 = BFN IUI#4 = BFN IVF #1 = BFN FET #1 = BFN FET #2 = BFN FET #3 = BFN IVF #2 = BFN IVF #3 = BFN FET #4 = BFN FET #5 = BFP!!! 06/10/2011 Miscarriage 06/21/2011 Adoption Application Submitted 09/2011, Personal Documents Submitted 11/18/2011, Home Visit 12/16/2011, Officially Waiting!!! 01/21/2013 MATCHED!!!! 01/24/2013 Baby Boy Born! Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    They weren't concerned because it really isn't an issue. If LO can roll, then its fine.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Thank you so much for the responses!  Going in and turning her head is what my SIL suggested doing so she learns...did you get any sleep during that process?  Haha

• Options
    Ya I understand that, but I was just concerned because she had her face in the mattress and to me that could lead to suffocation.
  • Options

imageLinzr0723:
    Ya I understand that, but I was just concerned because she had her face in the mattress and to me that could lead to suffocation.

But if she's mobile enough to lift her head up and roll, she can lift her face up if she needs to.

• Options
    Ya I guess what I didn't like is that she hadn't lifted her head to get air...but maybe she would have eventually...
  • Options

imagemben1119:
    They weren't concerned because it really isn't an issue. If LO can roll, then its fine.

This. I tried flipping my first and just ended up with a screaming baby. My pedi said to leave her alone. Once they can roll you most likely won't be able to keep them on their backs anyway.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

C  7.16.2008 | L  11.12.2010 | A  3.18.2013

• Options

imageLinzr0723:
    Ya I guess what I didn't like is that she hadn't lifted her head to get air...but maybe she would have eventually...

If she were having trouble breathing, she would have lifted her head or tilted it to the side.

• Options

imageLinzr0723:

Maybe for your peace of mind, you can look into getting an Angelcare Monitor: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002ZB82CU

• Options
    Thank you!  I may look into that!
  • Options
    Haha I was the same way you when LO was a newborn. I would check on her every two minutes convinced she was being smothered. Just make sure there's nothing in the crib with her like blankets, toys or a bumper. I was so terrified but everything was fine! If she can roll there really isn't anything to worry about.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Trying to Conceive 21 to 37 day cycle tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Haha thank you!  It is so hard not to worry!
  • Options
    imageLinzr0723:
    Haha thank you!nbsp; It is so hard not to worry!

I am in the same boat and was about to ask this very question! Thanks and hang in there!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Haha thanks- same to you!! 
  • Options

My DD started sleeping with her face smoothed into the mattress as soon as she could roll onto her belly. I did try to flip her over the first night, and like pp mentioned, there was a major screaming meltdown.  FWIW, she still sleeps like that and she is just fine Smile 

photo 997d7ce2-9f44-4a90-b78f-0ddf5f488d41_zps82d963f4.jpg
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    If they can roll over on their own they are fine. Dd1 used to occasionally get stuck and would cry, so I'd just roll her back onto her back. After a few nights of this she became a tummy sleeper and that's totally ok. The worst was when she got stuck standing and couldn't figure out how to get down, lol. DS2 never rolled over in bed, just squirmed a lot, and never stood up in his crib until the morning after he saw me walk in.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We actually are dealing with the same situation. About a week ago, she started flipping to her tummy and sleeping with her face down in the mattress. In the past few days, she actually has started to turn her head while on her tummy, which has eased the worrying a bit. I completely understand your worries!
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! I feel a little better and she does seem fine and turns her head to get comfy now so I don't feel as freaked out...but I still watch her for a few minutes to make sure she's ok ... then check a few times after that haha
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"