December 2011 Moms

Biting!

So, my daughter who just turned 18 months yesterday is officially a biter.  I had no idea until I took her to a park on Monday afternoon and a little girl was playing near our daughter (the other little girl put her hand down on my daughters and wouldn't let go - so it was not completely unprovoked) but my daughter just up and bit her!  The little girl screamed and ran away crying and my 18 month old was unphased.  I told her we dont bite, that's mean.  

The next afternoon I picked her up from daycare and asked the providers if she bites the other kids.  Oh man!  Not only does she bite but she pulls hair!  They told me there are two kids they keep an eye on and she is one of them.  How awful!  I had zero clue that my baby was a BULLY!  She does not act this way at home.

Just curious what sort of discipline success stories are out there for biters -- I am so at a loss.  Everything I read says its a phase and that many toddlers go through this but I am mortified. 

Re: Biting!

• It is a phase and extremely normal for kids ages 1-3 to bite.  I guess I am more surprised that your daycare hadn't told you that she was biting. At our daycare, whether he bites or he is bitten, a report is filled out and the parents have to sign it.

IVF #1: 4-11-11= Transferred 1 beautiful blastocyst I named "Nugget"
    5 Snowbabies! Beta#1 4/21= BFP! 226; Beta#2 4/25= 944
    DS born 12/14/11

Baby #2 FET Nov/Dec 2013

12/13 Beta#1=BFP 349; 12/16 Beta#2=1,089. First ultrasound 12/26. DS#2 born 8/8/14
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersimageLilypie First Birthday tickers
    ~~PAIF/SAIF Always Welcome~~

• I was surprised daycare didnt tell me too!  I said I wanted to know from here on out when she bites.
  • Loading the player...
  • DS is also a little bit of a biter. Currenlty he only bites DW and I, mainly on the shoulder and forearm.

No reports of biting other children though, so far. For which we're grateful.

When he bites us, we just let him know in no uncertain terms that it was a bad thing to do.

• DS is an off and on biter. He's currently on, which I'm attributing to the fact that all four of his canines are cutting at once. We haven't gotten any recent notices about him biting at daycare, but he has tried to bite me and DH quite a few times in the last two days. I tell him "No biting Mommy" very firmly, ask him if his teeth hurt, give him something appropriate to bite (food, cold chew, etc), and redirect him.

~ Married 10.30.04 ~
    DS1 born 12.31.11 ~ DS2 born 2.4.14

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"