South Florida Babies

Disappointed with this board

Have reached out a few times to expectant moms in my area who claimed they were seeking friends or other moms-to-be to augment their support system. Never get responses. What's the deal? Is it just me, or have other women here had this same experience?

I am having a hard time meeting more moms-to-be because I am a SAHM. Also I am having a C-section so won't be taking any birthing classes (a great place to meet other expecting moms). Just feeling a bit isolated, I suppose.

Re: Disappointed with this board

• I agree, it seems a little quiet here. I've heard some moms like the What to Expect boards better but I haven't tried those yet.
  • I am new to Florida and am looking for the same. I am in the Port Saint Lucie area. Where are you? My baby is due in March.
  • Loading the player...
  • I am in Midtown Miami. Due in June. I'm gonna google your area since I have no idea where that is.
  • It is about 2 hours away :
  • I'm in brickell : I go to a mommy and me class in pinecrest with faith ploude..lots of mommies there. .theres also a mommy and me class at the brickell international academy on Tuesdays.. there's the gathering place on biscayne and 50 I think..theres munchkinfun.com..lots of stuff really ; u can email me at. Norriols at yahoo if u wanna go to faiths class..its mostly for bf moms but formula moms can go too and ask questions and stuff..
  • I haven't had much luck with this board either. I am in North Broward so not too close :( but I wanted to suggest some ideas to meet other moms.

Meetup.com has lots of great groups

also, the libraries are a great place for free storytime fun for the little ones.

That's all I have good luck, I wish I was closer to you

• Good info; thank you!
  • Agree...still new to Fort Lauderdale area and have yet to have people come out. That and feed back on here is either none or snarky.

Maybe we should plan a play date. At a park or something. Anyone up for that?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageimageimage
  • I agree! I moved to Miami 16 months ago and I firmly believe it is a south florida "thing." It is like people do not want to have anything to do with you or giving you the time of day if you can't provide them with something. The idea of friendship and camaraderie on existent in Miami. I am self employed with only two employees so it is very difficult for me to find friends in the Miami area. I am in NW Miami right now but will be purchasing a home on the Coral Gables area in June. I am definitely seeking others mommies and like minded women to talk to and hang out with!
  • Hello,

I'm new to the website. I recently found out I'm 5 weeks pregnant. We're pretty excited. We haven't shared the news with our families yet. We figured we'd share our news on Mother's Day. They'll be ecstatic. Our parents have been waiting for this day for 2 years. So, I wanted to make Mother's Day special for them both and I couldn't think of a better gift to give our mother's on this special day :) then to tell them they'll be grandmother's this time next year. I'm betting my husband his mother will be in tears :) Can't wait to tell them.

You mentioned you live in Ft. Lauderdale. Are you recently new to Florida or just Ft. Lauderdale? I live in Hollywood. 

IAmPregnant Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Hi Mphelan,

I'm sorry to hear you haven't had a good experience here in Florida. I know just how you feel. I moved to Hollywood 7 years ago and I was completely shocked how hard it was to build close friendships. People are very different here, but once you adjust to peoples way of living here you'll adjust and will learn to fit in. It took me about 6 months to get use to things, but I will say this, I love living here. I hope you will too. Where did you move from?  You also mentioned you are self employed. What kind of work do you do? I too have my own business.

IAmPregnant Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Hey! I'm in Coral Gables. My baby is due July 5, 2013. We should meet up sometime when our babies are old enough! email me sometime at eleanor.ruffes@gmail.com
  • Yea this board doesn't seem to active. I am not in your area but I know the feeling. I would recommend finding some activities you can do with your child mommy and me classes or even storytime at the library. There are also facebook and meetup.com groups for moms and SAHM so try reaching out to those hopefully you will have more luck.
  • wcamiwcami member
    For me it was a little hard to locate this board because its not displayed on the panel so I had to search for it maybe thats the reason.. I also noticed people posting questions there are about 200 views and 1 reply ... I am not sure if it is a south florida thing... for me I met a lot of mothers through the birthing classes, although you are having a c- section you can go to some of the classes that teach swaddling, breast feeding etc.. to meet other expectant mothers.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"