Oregon Babies

Can you OR girls help me?

DH and I are considering a move to OR this time next year so I have already started looking around.  Neither of us have ever been to OR but think it has a lot to offer.  I have been looking on Craigslist.  This seems like a stupid question, but hopefully it will make sense once you read on.  On Craigslist when I click on Oregon it gives me different areas to click and one is Oregon Coast to me that would be all areas up and down the coast which seems kind of a large area to group all together, some of the posts say "near downtown Oregon Coast" which sounds like Oregon Coast is a town.  So is  Oregon Coast a townor just referring to the actual coastal area of OR?  When they say downtown Oregon Coast where would that be referring to? 

I'll probably ask other questions as I continue are search, but are there any areas that any of you would recommend and why?  We definitely want to be with in an hour or so of the coast and think that we would like to be close to Portland.  TIA

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Can you OR girls help me?

• Without reading the entire post, I'm inclinded to say that they are selling you an a place that is near BOTH down town and the Oregon Coast.  This is a frequent selling point around this area.  You might also see the same statement about the mountains.  Since Portland is an hour from skiing mt. hood and an hour from the coast.   It makes it kinda "centrally located"

Hope that helps....post the listing next time you have a question and we can better explain I bet.

• No, Oregon Coast isn't a town. You'll probably want to stay in the Portland Metro Area which is around 45 mins to an hour away from the coast. That would be Hillsboro, Aloha, Beaverton, Tigard, and Portland... there are more towns, but those are the main suburban areas close to shopping/ jobs etc. Hope that helps!!

We sold our house last year with an awesome realtor! If you need her name or website let me know!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • That sounds to me like someone just doesn't know how to list things on craigslist properly. I see weird descriptions all the time. The Oregon coast is definitely refering to the whole area along the ocean and not a particular town. My guess is that the posts are related to the downtown area of one of the many coastal towns.

Pretty much every place in the Willamette Valley is about 1.5 hours to the coast. As a reference, Salem is roughly 30 minutes from Portland, Albany 1 hour, and Eugene about 1.5 or 2 hours.

If you'd prefer suburban living, consider Beaverton, Tigard, or Hillsboro.  If you'd rather live in a small town that isn't too far from Portland, then think about Newburg or McMinnville. Those are all on the west side of the valley, so would be about 1 hour to the (north) coast.

• https://movingtooregonpdx.blogspot.com/ has some good information about moving to Oregon. Definitely check out more resources than Craigslist before you move here.

• FWIW, as far as suburbs go, there are many more here than the ones listed by pp.  Beaverton, Aloha, etc are  all west suburbs.  I personally would  prefer to be south of the city because I HATE traffic and traffic to the west side is the worst in the city (excluding the commute to Vancouver, WA).  I recommend checking out Clackamas, Milwaukie, Happy Valley, Gladstone.  Or you can go east (which puts you closer to Mt Hood if you're into that) into Gresham or Troutdale.  Good luck!

• I wasnt clear by your post if you were moving or just coming out for a visit. If you are moving then you should consider the lifestyle you have now and then decide where to move in the Portland area, which can encompass a lot of terrain.

Hillsboro, where we live, would be considered "coastal" by some, but it is far from the ocean. Oregonians are a little strange about that type of thing.

Of course I am assuming you are heading to the Portland Metro area...give us a bit more and we can help you out more :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"