October 2011 Moms
Options

Facebook Privacy Paranoia

What's your worst case scenarios? Let me have 'em. Also for you people with your name plastered across your kids' photos in your sig. Send me your worst case scenarios for those too. I admit to not giving it much thought and I want to know what I should be afraid of. 

Post 'em if you got 'em! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Facebook Privacy Paranoia

• Options

I don't know that I have a worst case scenario haha I just feel like putting my real name, where I live, who I'm married to, where he works etc. is too much for even my favorite internet strangers. 

Also, I'm more open with my opinions on TB and really just don't want anyone IRL to find me. I'm glad the group is secret.

Also, recent events with the former mod on SAHM make me uneasy. ick.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

imagePackerfan79:
    Latte, I'm not trying to be snarky here at all, and really this goes for everyone I guess...If you're so concerned with the safety and privacy issues then why WOULD you get in on the FB stuff for Oct 2011? I mean, I'm not on FB for this very reason, and I certainly understand the legit privacy issues.  I guess my thing is, if you have that many concerns, then just say no?  It seems a bit silly that folks are posting about how paranoid they are about joining the FB page....just dont join.

I'm sure it is silly ;) 

I guess I just really like this particular community and I'm a little sad it's dying. I just don't want to lose touch with everyone..ya know? I'm actually sad you didn't join! Who will we turn to for animal advice when this group disappears in to bump land?!? ;)

I'm still second guess joining because of my cautious nature I suppose. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Deez10Deez10 member

This isn't a worst case scenario but I figure it can't hurt to share a personal story about online privacy just to show all angles... or something.

During my pregnancy, I got a random call from a close friend (she was pregnant at the same time I was and only due a few months after me - she lurked her BMB regularly).  On that particular BMB, she recognized the screename, avatar image, and tickers of one particular poster and was able to confirm we knew her based off the images she submitted for HDBD, etc.  Let's just say, this chick just didn't realize how public TB is and put some rather embarrassing things online about herself. Eh, not necessarily that big of a deal - but it got iffy when you were able to check out her bio and see all her posts (granted, google could have done the same thing but she just made it so easy by making them available through her bio).

Most of her posts were harmless but there were a handful that were just... too much.  She vented about her in-laws (and I know her in-laws, they would not appreciate what she wrote), she even got caught talking sh*t about me (that sucked) - bascially, you know the type of poster she was.  Newbie, not familiar with the "rules", FTM who thought she knew it all, totally judgmental, etc, etc, etc - she wrote some doozies.    Anyhow, I confronted her about what she put online about me and she quickly deleted her account but didn't delete her posts beforehand.  Now, google cache pulls them all up. It would be far too easy for her stuff to be found by her family (you'd only have to search for her last name and "the bump" and BAM) and I can only imagine how worried she must be that will happen. The sh*t she put out there, I get that she was venting... but when you put idenfifiable information out there that can IDENTIFY you IRL... might be worth taking a moment to really think it through and at least make sure your stuff is locked down as best as it can be.

I've shared this story before and I don't mean to sound redundant, but whenever people bring up "online privacy" - I feel I need to at least share this again and just offer some perspective.  She didn't mean any harm and so innocently caused a lot of it - all because she just wasn't careful.  You just never know what people will do with the information you provide them.

Sorry to be the overly-cautious, debbie downer.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Maternity tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

Deez that's scary. I hope nobody can recognize me on here. Actually only a couple of people IRL know I'm pregnant so it's unlikely.

Packer I am officially rallying for you to have a packerfan fb page! haha

• Options
    imageDeez10:

This isn't a worst case scenario but I figure it can't hurt to share a personal story about online privacy just to show all angles... or something.

During my pregnancy, I got a random call from a close friend (she was pregnant at the same time I was and only due a few months after me - she lurked her BMB regularly).  On that particular BMB, she recognized the screename, avatar image, and tickers of one particular poster and was able to confirm we knew her based off the images she submitted for HDBD, etc.  Let's just say, this chick just didn't realize how public TB is and put some rather embarrassing things online about herself. Eh, not necessarily that big of a deal - but it got iffy when you were able to check out her bio and see all her posts (granted, google could have done the same thing but she just made it so easy by making them available through her bio).

Most of her posts were harmless but there were a handful that were just... too much.  She vented about her in-laws (and I know her in-laws, they would not appreciate what she wrote), she even got caught talking sh*t about me (that sucked) - bascially, you know the type of poster she was.  Newbie, not familiar with the "rules", FTM who thought she knew it all, totally judgmental, etc, etc, etc - she wrote some doozies.    Anyhow, I confronted her about what she put online about me and she quickly deleted her account but didn't delete her posts beforehand.  Now, google cache pulls them all up. It would be far too easy for her stuff to be found by her family (you'd only have to search for her last name and "the bump" and BAM) and I can only imagine how worried she must be that will happen. The sh*t she put out there, I get that she was venting... but when you put idenfifiable information out there that can IDENTIFY you IRL... might be worth taking a moment to really think it through and at least make sure your stuff is locked down as best as it can be.

I've shared this story before and I don't mean to sound redundant, but whenever people bring up "online privacy" - I feel I need to at least share this again and just offer some perspective.  She didn't mean any harm and so innocently caused a lot of it - all because she just wasn't careful.  You just never know what people will do with the information you provide them.

Sorry to be the overly-cautious, debbie downer.

That sucks. Unwise disclosure of personal relationship stuff along with easily identified names and photos is usually a bad idea.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"