October 2011 Moms
Options

Potty Training

I attempted to start potty training my daughter the other day and she absolutely freaked out over having to go pee. She fussed and cried all day long when she would pee or dribble in her panties and on the floor. I did get her to go in her potty chair and clapped and told her what a big girl she was but she still flipped out. She even got to where she was holding it in because she was so afraid. Anyone lse have this problem? She got so upset that she started shaking even. I'm at a loss as to what to do to help her understand that's it's not a scary thing!

Re: Potty Training

• Options
    She is not ready. Try again in a few months.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    It doesn't sound like she's ready. My LO was scared to use the potty too. Now she just sits on it and read books. I'm not going to push the issue. She's still young.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yeah it doesn't sound like she's ready at all. I would wait and try again in a few months. If she's as scared as you say and you keep pushing it you could end up with a bigger issue in the long run. Our LO's are still very young. There plenty of time left for potty training.
  • Options
    Definitely not ready. Lo has been using the potty since around 15 months old and occasionally asks to use it. She is nowhere near potty trained and at this age they aren't really physically capable even if they get the concept and its mostly the parents being trained to recognize their need to go. We do diaper free in her room a couple times a day. She gets upset when she doesn't make it to the potty, I always make sure to give her hugs and kisses. We dont plan on trying panties until next summer.
  • Options
    kagl08kagl08 member

I tried around this age with my DD and it was an epic fail. She did the same as yours. My DD will be 3 in August and she JUST PTed 2 weeks ago. It's been a long time coming, but I waited until I could reason with her and she "got" it. So glad I did! It was the easiest thing ever. I took away her diapers, she peed and pooped on the potty and hasn't had an accident since the 2nd day. It was so worth my sanity to wait until she was ready. 

DS wants to PT right now because his sister just did, but I'm going to wait until he's old enough to reason with. It was so easy with my DD having wait for her to be ready.  

• Options

imageNita2603:
    She is not ready. Try again in a few months.

This exactly. If she gets so terrified that she's shaking over using the potty, it's doing a lot more harm than good at this point.

• Options

Not many kids are ready this young. Does she have a little potty chair? We got one just to get DS comfortable with sitting on an open hole. It's in the living room so he doesn't have to "miss our" on everything. 

We tried putting DS on the big potty and he just wanted to play in it. A few weeks ago we got him a small potty chair (looks like a frog) and let him run around naked. He walked over to the potty and peed on it. TWICE. We never showed him what to do! He is nowhere near being potty trained. but if he is naked he will go over to the potty and pee about 70% of the time. He prefers to poop standing, so that will be an issue. He just recently decided he hates having poopy diapers and will grab his butt and yell "poo-poo" when it's dirty. Previously he would be content in a dirty diaper for hours. I'm thinking 2-2 1/2 he will be ready to really go for it. 

photo
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"