Health & Exercise

Base Running Ability and Pregnancy

After I had my daughter in 2011, I started a couch to 5K program. I?ve been comfortably running 3-4 miles a time since then. My issue was always to be able to run more frequently (and not necessarily increase distance) because I was finding it hard to find a schedule that worked for me. There would be a few weeks in between where I wouldn?t get out there. Once I picked back up again, the 3 miles was no problem at all. I?m now running every other day, with 3-4 miles during my weekday runs and doing one longer run on the weekend at around 6 miles or so. I?ve only been able to work up to these longer runs on the weekend for a few weeks now.

My husband and I want to start trying for Baby 2 and I would like to keep running. My concern isn?t with my shorter (weekday) runs because I have been comfortably running that distance for quite some time. However, if my longer run consists of 6 miles, is it reasonable to expect to continue with that as long as I am comfortable? I know the typical rule is if you do it before you're pregnant, its usually ok to continue while you are pregnant (with doctor's blessing). I guess my concern is that while I am able to run this distance, I have only been doing it for a very short amount of time. I am wondering if that base is a good enough starting point or if I should be able to run that distance comfortably for a few months before trying to continue with it during pregnancy.

Can anyone shed some light on their experience? I am only looking to maintain what I?m currently able to accomplish up until the time I get pregnant.  I understand every person is different and every pregnancy is different, I?m just trying to manage my own expectations. I should note that I have dealt with some rather unpleasant anxiety/panic issues earlier this year and running helps me to cope and calm it all down. I want to be able to have a strong enough base to continue on with it as long as I possibly can to keep the crazy at bay (kidding ? no disrespect to anyone also dealing with it but humor makes it all the more tolerable for me). J

Re: Base Running Ability and Pregnancy

• Not so sure why my font is all wacky. Sorry.
  • I would keep up with the running for as long as you are able, understanding that once you get pregnant, you may need to slow down the pace according to what your body is telling you. 

In the first 2 months of my pregnancy I kept doing all of my workouts (up to 5 miles/day as I had been before pregnancy) like usual, including interval training.  I hoped to run all the way to delivery!

However, at 10 weeks I had to stop running altogether because I developed sciatica, and there was absolutely no way to continue because of pain.  Since then, I've been at the chiropractor a lot and have improved a good amount.  However, I still can't run more than a 1-2 miles without pain, so I'm swimming more, which doesn't hurt at all.

I did race a 5k randomly on Saturday because my friends did.  I was pleasantly surprised to find that I was able to run the entire race without walking and finished around 31:20.  Not a good time pre-prego, but at 24 weeks pregnant, I am proud!  I look forward to training again once I'm not pregnant.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic   image
  • Loading the player...
  • KateVAKateVA member
    I'm similar to you in that my runs are mostly in the 2.5-4 mile range. I found it was really hard in the first trimester, I did a lot more 2.5-3 milers than 4. And I was really slow. Dropped from an 8:45 mile to a 10 min mile. But now that I'm in the second trimester, it's much better. Bladder issues aside, my pace has picked back up and I feel more comfortable. I would keep the 6 mile runs if you can but don't worry about it if they become too much. You are getting a plenty good workout running 3-4 miles 
  • Thanks for your responses, everyone!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"