Eco-Friendly Family
Options

Postpartum Mama Cloth

I posted on the CD board, but thought you all may have more insight into this.

We're planning on CDing from the start, hopefully after a homebirth and I've used reusable menstrual products for years (primarily a Diva cup -- which I know not to use pp) and Glad Rags. I look forward to not using sposies for babe or me (I don't like disposable menstrual pads for the feel, smell, and waste). I do however have some leftover overnight/heavy disposable pads a friend passed along if I need them as back-up for whatever mama cloth stash I get. I plan to wash my CDs (mainly pre-folds with a few fitted and maybe a couple AIO) EOD, and I'd like to be able to wash all cloth together.

I currently have 4 regular Glad Rags and 2-3 pantyliners (which I'm assuming will be too thin to use in the first weeks, but plan to use toward the end of my lochia). So my questions are:

What's a good stash of postpartum mama cloth?

How many overnight/heavy flow and how many regular flow should I aim to have on hand?
Should I stick with Glad Rags or try something else?

Any other tips or resources would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Met 07/07/05, Wedding 07/07/07, Legal Marriage Ceremony 12/9/12, Baby Boy Born 08/09/13 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Postpartum Mama Cloth

• Options

I use party in my pants pads (yes that's really the name haha) and I had some of their biggest pads and I used those SO much the first few days. I was cloth diapering my older son and washed every other day. I found that I needed to change the pad everytime I was in the bathroom the first week or two. I figure I used roughly 6-8 a day. Seems like a lot but it was really heavy for me. After that I used the normal sized ones and the bigger ones at night and it worked out really well for us. If I were you I would definitely get more. I plan on ordering a few more than what I had for DS2 for this next baby since I almost ran out all the time.

To make a long story short I would have at least 6 heavy flow and 4-6 regular, depending on how often you will wash.

• Options
    Thanks! I really appreciate the suggestion of numbers.
    Met 07/07/05, Wedding 07/07/07, Legal Marriage Ceremony 12/9/12, Baby Boy Born 08/09/13 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"