Preemies

when did your lo start walking?

I know there's a big range of normal for preemies, but I'm starting to wonder if I'm being paranoid momma or if I should be legitimately concerned that DD is not attempting to walk yet. She will be one a wk from Friday. She will cruise the couch for a few seconds, has been doing that for about 3 months now, but will not stand up on her own and has a fit and let's her legs go out from under her when we try to stand/walk her around assisted. I don't want to push her if she's not ready, and I don't want to expect her to be doing stuff she shouldn't be yet, its just very frustrating seeing ft her age, both adjusted and actual, walking and not being sure if its something we should be worrying about.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: when did your lo start walking?

• I'm on mobile so I can't see if you have a signature with it in but how early was your lo? My son was a 31 weeker and is over a year and isn't walking. The doctors are not concerned. I figure he will do it when he's ready whenever that might be! He also does not stand without holding on to something.
    imageimage

Our little hippo was as impatient as mom!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Hoping for a full 40 weeks!! 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• rslhmgrslhmg member
    She's a 32wker. That makes me feel better about her not walking. She's my first and dhs 3rd, he keeps telling me not to worry, but she's the first preemie for both of us so I have a hard time listening lol.
  • Loading the player...
  • My kids are 15 months/1 year adjusted. They are just starting to cruise the couch and let go for a few seconds. Our OT is not one bit concerned that they are not walking yet.
    image Our 25 week miracles! Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • My son was a 32 weeker, and he took his first steps just a few days before he turned 15 months, and is now a full fledged walker.  He was actually exactly 13 months adjusted on the day he took those first steps.  My pedi told me that it is normal for full term babies to walk by 18 months, so technically DS had until he was 20 months to be within the 'normal' range.  My friend's full term DD didn't walk until 18 months.  All babies are different, and they walk when they're ready, but your LO is definitely not at all behind by any means.  

IMG_0293

Mr. & Mrs. 10/2/10 | Dx w/PCOS March 2011
    BFP - 7/25/11 | EDD 4/3/12 | C-section 2/7/12 @ 32 weeks 
    BFP - 1/07/14 | EDD 9/20/14

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Pips09Pips09 member
    My daughter started walking at 13 months actual/11 adjusted. I wouldn't worry!
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

• It looks like your DD is only 9 months adjusted from your ticker which would be on the early end of walking for a termie. The range I've heard is 9 months-17 months. My 29 weeker walked at 15 months/12.5 adjusted. 
    image Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • rslhmgrslhmg member
    Ty ladies. I have the what to expect the first yr book and I try to read up on the chapters that match up with her adjusted age, but then I see posts from about a dozen friends with babies ranging from 9 months to a yr old doing this or that and it makes me worry that I may not catch a real problem. We have been beyond blessed to have no delays so far, I just don't want to set her back somewhere by missing something I shouldn't. This board has always been full of such helpful advice I feel way more comfortable asking even silly questions here then asking moms with term babies.
  • My 25 weeker just started walking at 19 mo/ 15mo adjusted.  She spent months cruising and then almost 2 months of taking steps before she truly started walking (which I defined as being able to take steps, change directions, stop, start etc).  It was a long process :)

mom to V; 25 weeker born at 1lb 7oz

www.virginiakkent.blogspot.com

• My dd was a 35 weeker and took her first step on Xmas eve at just over 16 monthsactual she didn't start to really walk till almost 18 months. I felt the same way about seeing posts from friends but my dd was doing other things their children were not doing.
  • imagerslhmg:
    Ty ladies. I have the what to expect the first yr book and I try to read up on the chapters that match up with her adjusted age, but then I see posts from about a dozen friends with babies ranging from 9 months to a yr old doing this or that and it makes me worry that I may not catch a real problem. We have been beyond blessed to have no delays so far, I just don't want to set her back somewhere by missing something I shouldn't. This board has always been full of such helpful advice I feel way more comfortable asking even silly questions here then asking moms with term babies.

I believe someone on here told me this when I posted something similar.... People do not brag about what their kids are NOT doing. It's very likely that your lo is doing things theirs are not but you aren't aware of that. Walking is a huge milestone but there are a million others that people never talk about. I'm sure lo is fine but if you are really concerned I would talk to your doctor so they can tell you.
    imageimage

Our little hippo was as impatient as mom!

Hoping for a full 40 weeks!! 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• My 33 weeker started to walk at 13 months actual and my 34 weeker started walking at 11 months actual. I believe it's totally normally for babies to walk anywhere between 9 months and 18 months old.

• My boys were born at 29w4d. My oldest twin started running [he skipped walking] right at 12m actual. My youngest twin is just barely beginning to take independent steps now at 14.5m actual. There is a really really really wide range for walking as its a complicated skill. Some will begin walking early at around 9m and others might not until closer to 18m. Anywhere in that range can be totally "normal" as long as they're moving their arms and legs equally and are mobile somehow. Every kid really does develop differently.
    Married 9/22/07, began TTC 8/10
    Diagnosed with DOR, LP defect, mild endometriosis and cysts
    BFP #1 EDD 9/10/11, natural miscarriage at 6w
    BFP #2 Medicated cycle, twin boys born 4/4/12 at 29w4d
    BFP #3 EDD 8/8/14, D&C for missed miscarriage at 8w, baby boy with triploidy
    BFP #4 June 2014 CP
  • my DD was born at 31 weeks and started walking at 15 months. Until 14 months she wouldn't even walk assisted or stand without holding onto something. I thought we were a long way off from her walking, but she literally woke up one morning and started walking.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • My 26 weker started at 15/16 months (12/13 adjusted).
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• DrRxDrRx member
    Adalyn started walking about 14.5 months actual (11.5 months adjusted), but had been taking steps and cruising for about a month before that.  She is a 26-weeker.
    TTC Since July 2008.
    Me: PCOS DH: Low everything (MFI)
    Clomid with TI x 3 2010 BFN
    Clomid+IUI+Ovidrel 2010 BFN
    IVF w/ICSI #1 2011
    9/8/11 Beta #1: 2082!! 9/19/11 Beta#2 34,689!! U/S 9/22/11 HR 127! 11/8/11 HR 150! 12/6/11 HR 136! 12/14/11 HR 139! Born at 26w2d on 2/4/2012! After 83 days in the NICU, Adalyn came home on 4/26/12!
    FET 1 3/2013 BFN
    FET 2 5/2013 BFN
  • My DS was a 30 weeker and he didn't really walk independently until 16 months actual. I wouldn't worry, I know plenty of full term babies who didn't walk until 1516 months.
  • rslhmgrslhmg member
    ty again ladies, does put me at ease hearing this stuff :) And she actually stood up on her own unassisted today. Came in from work and had to run right back out (Both door handles to my car broke and I had to go get replacements ugh!) and as I was heading back out the door she stood straight up in the middle of the floor, pointed at me and yelled NO NO NO! at the top of her lungs. Normally when I get off work I shower and then its all her time aside from dinner, which lets face it, is all her time too lol, until bed. I think me having to run right back out threw her routine off just enough that she had to make a statement and pleasantly shock me by standing up lol
  • takmjstakmjs member
    We are paranoid mamas, and I think we have every right to be. My daughter (a 30 weeker) is over 17 months actual/15 months adjusted and is not walking. She stood up for 2 seconds and 10 seconds on her own, just in the last week, but it doesn't appear as if she'll be walking on her own any time soon. We do have an eval set up with the Birth to 3 intervention people, because she's also not said an actual word (just babbles a lot). I'm worried and not sure if the eval is necessary (my husband thinks we don't need to do it), but I'd rather have her checked now by PT and speech than wait. If they have some helpful tips on how to get them to have more core strength or better balance, I'll take any advice!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"