VBAC
Options

Due Saturday and now my previously VBAC supportive husband is no more...long

LVbaby07LVbaby07 member

I knew I wanted to try for a VBAC since the day I found out I was pregnant.  I explained this and discussed with my husband from day 1.  He basically said that he is comfortable with whatever decision I make, he was not a doctor and did not really know enough one way or another to make that decision for me and again, would support me any way.  The way has always been VBAC.  I switched to a supportive midwife group at 12 weeks and he knew that and the reason why and was fine with it as well.  Well, fast forward to now and I am due on Saturday.  My first daughter was vaginal, however the Pitocin had no effect on me and I almost ended up with a section for her.  My second, was induced, it failed, the highest dose of Pitocin had no effect again and think its what really got my daughters heartrate messed up to cause the section.  My section was extremly traumatic for both of us.  So the discussion now comes up about induction.  Not tomorrow or the next day, but we had to start thinking of around 41.5-42 weeks if nothing. 

My husband is now saying that we should just get the csection, and be done.  He told me it was safer than going through all that labor and having it fail, which he thinks it will based on my history and thinks a planned csection is just better, from what he has heard.  He has nothing to support this of course, but he just knows apparently.  I am not trying to make him out to sound bad, I think he is just nervous b/s of what we went through last time.  I tell him stats and all that, and he just doesnt want to hear it.  How now am I supposed to stay positive?  Uggh.  My choice now is to wait and if nothing happens on my own, opt for the induction or go for the section.  Anyone faced with the same choice or can anyone offer any words of encouragement for a 40 week pregnant woman whose hormones are crazy right now :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Due Saturday and now my previously VBAC supportive husband is no more...long

• Options

Sounds like he's just having cold feet.  It's totally understandable.  A TOL is much less predictable than a scheduled RCS.  It's crunch time and he's starting to go through all the possibilities.  RCS seems like the easiest way out.

My recommendation would be to take it one day at a time and wait as long as possible.  You have nothing on the calendar and it doesn't seem like your midwives are going to be pressuring you. You've already had 1 vaginal baby, so odds are in your favor.  Stay positive and maybe try to avoid the conversation with DH.  Find something fun or relaxing for the two of you to do.  You can do this!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Would your husband respond well to the facts presented by a professional? Could you call your midwife before your next appointment and let her know your husband needs some reassurance about the safety of a TOLAC so she can come in prepared to answer his questions?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagecchill01:

Sounds like he's just having cold feet.  It's totally understandable.  A TOL is much less predictable than a scheduled RCS.  It's crunch time and he's starting to go through all the possibilities.  RCS seems like the easiest way out.

My recommendation would be to take it one day at a time and wait as long as possible.  You have nothing on the calendar and it doesn't seem like your midwives are going to be pressuring you. You've already had 1 vaginal baby, so odds are in your favor.  Stay positive and maybe try to avoid the conversation with DH.  Find something fun or relaxing for the two of you to do.  You can do this!

This.  He just sounds scared for you (and himself, too) - which is understandable  - it is a crazy time, and a lot of people like to have control over these things.  Like the PP says, see if you can take a day or two off from the discussion, do something fun and/or relaxing - while waiting to see if labor comes naturally.  And see if the midwife can have a calm non-scary conversation with you both - just to reassure you of all the positives to VBACs - good luck - and let us know!

• Options

Actually, the fact that you had a vaginal delivery with your first makes you an excellent VBAC candidate. I understand he is worried, but c sections do not come without their own sets of risks.

I am a L&D nurse and I can tell you that based on my 4 short months of experience so far, and my own personal experience, every pregnancy and delivery is different. Moms that have had 8 kids can have 8 completely different deliveries. I've seen women who pushed out 7 kids vaginally and had a section for their 8th. Or a c section for their first and all vaginal deliveries for the rest. You get my point. :) Just take it one day, one hour, one minute at a time.

I have also seen women whose SO's push them into a c section, they have one, and then the SO feels bad that they were so selfish when they see how much pain their spouse is in.

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imagececilyandgautam:
    Would your husband respond well to the facts presented by a professional? Could you call your midwife before your next appointment and let her know your husband needs some reassurance about the safety of a TOLAC so she can come in prepared to answer his questions?

I like this idea bc he can ask your midwife all of the questions he has. You could even try calling if he wants to talk before your next appointment. I also agree with another poster that all deliveries are different and nothing is guaranteed.Our first was an emergency c-section and traumatic for both of us so we did the VBAC and even though it  ALSO had some craziness I would still rather go for it again!  I hope you go into labor soon and have your vbac :) Try moving furniture, walking, squatting.....I will be doing all of it and hope to have my 2nd VBAC in July.  Good luck!

• Options
    imagelalamakita:
    imagecchill01:

This.  He just sounds scared for you (and himself, too) - which is understandable  - it is a crazy time, and a lot of people like to have control over these things.  Like the PP says, see if you can take a day or two off from the discussion, do something fun and/or relaxing - while waiting to see if labor comes naturally.  And see if the midwife can have a calm non-scary conversation with you both - just to reassure you of all the positives to VBACs - good luck - and let us know!

I agree.  You need to listen to him and acknowledge that his feelings are valid.  He is concerned for your and your child's well-being.  He may understand all the facts in the world, but when it comes to fear, there's no rationalizing.

Just take it one day at a time.  Let the circumstances unfold and make a decision together.  Clearly, you know what you want, so be the driving force.  Talk to him, get him the answers to his questions and try to get your medical professionals to back you up.  I know you NEED someone in your corner, I have no doubt that he'll be that person, but for this moment in time it seems to me that he's fearful. 

Prudence
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Otis
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Hank 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I'm so curious, what ended up happening? Did you have a VBA2C? I'd love to hear your birth story when you have time!
    Expecting Baby #3 to complete our family. 
    I have an adventurous 2 Year Old Toddler Boy & thoughtful 4 Year Old LIttle Girl! 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers 
    photo 172b031e-21cf-454e-ae3f-ea3666c05af5.jpg

photo BellyProgressionForSignature-32wks.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"