Georgia Babies
Options

Maternity Insurance Coverage

So I have an individual plan that i got a few years ago that does not include maternity coverage. This year i tried to add it, but they (BCBS- GA) told me that they couldn't b/c of the changes insurance taking place the end of this year. 

My understanding is that as of Jan 2014- maternity should be included(probably at a higher premium)

i guess my main question is: what are people doing who get pregnant during this time period when maternity coverage cannot be added at an additional cost?

thanks in advance

Me- 31, AMH .38; DH- 32

Married for 3 years; TTC for 2 yrs

Status: IVF# 1 Jan 2014, Lupron, 150 Menopur, 450 Bravelle, HcG

Re: Maternity Insurance Coverage

• Options

If you are already pregnant and cannot afford the out of pocket rates then look into Medicaid.  If you are not pregnant then now would be a good time to start saving and shopping around to doctors who will negotiate for the entire pregnancy.  Another option would be to change careers so that you get a job that has maternity coverage effective immediately.  Usually government jobs have the best insurance with no pre-existing conditions.

2014 is not that far away but I wouldn't count on that either way.  Government has a way of pulling the rug out right when you need it.  Try to make it work financially on your own

• Options
    khumpkhump member

Thanks! That's what i thought... We make 'too much' to qualify for medicaid and don't want to change careers so i guess we're on our own! ugh.

Me- 31, AMH .38; DH- 32

Married for 3 years; TTC for 2 yrs

Status: IVF# 1 Jan 2014, Lupron, 150 Menopur, 450 Bravelle, HcG

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"