Potty Training
Options

26mo fearful of peeing

mobile bumpies: 26mo fearful of peeing

I started PT my 26mo DD this week and she has been crying on the little potty when she needs to pee and crying as she pees and seems fearful of the different feeling than in a diaper, and all the rest of the day holds it in. Is this a signal she's not ready?  I'll admit getting her on the potty the last day has become a battle, which I know isn't good.  I'd decided I'd either PT now, 3 mo out from baby's arrival, or wait until 3-4 mo after baby's arrival. I've also heard to never go back to diapers...is that hard and fast?  I'm open to the possibly she's not ready, but also open to encouragement to just keep at it and things will click in a few days. I know of a friend's DD who had the same fear and got over it.

She's holding it most of the day then filling pull-up during her nap, and another friend just gave the idea to pour warm water over her to relax the area to help her pee. I did this, and she did pee after lunch, but cried the whole time like the one time yesterday she peed, and like one of the times she peed the day before.  This has been harder than my PT my son a year or so ago!

Re: 26mo fearful of peeing

• Options
    Wanted to update since she's improved, and I got help from a friend. I have been pouring warm water over her to encourage peeing and help relax the area, and she has been peeing that way. She is gradually becoming less fearful and is no longer crying when peeing. Maybe this will help someone else.  I think she's on her way and we will keep going.
  • Options

On my mom's advice (she had 4 of us) I didn't potty train before baby arrived.  SHe said the toddler would just revert because of baby and it was really not worth the hassel. I trained DS 3 months after DD arrived and he did awesome!  We did the 3 day method which took DS about 7 days to "get" but we haven't looked back!

I have just started PT DD (day 3) and she is doing the same thing, crying when she pee's.... I was wondering if maybe she had a UTI as DS didn't do this....I have been putting TP over the hole in the potty seat so she doesnt' feel like she is sitting over a hole.  I think it's helping but I'm not sure.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    We're on the same boat but its getting better. It's day 7 today and for the first time she hasn't cried of been afraid, the entire day! Give it some more time 
  • Options

imageilba2011:
    We're on the same boat but its getting better. It's day 7 today and for the first time she hasn't cried of been afraid, the entire day! Give it some more time 

Yeah, she's continuing to do a lot better. She never cries now, just some protests sometimes to go but she does go and has learned how to intentionally release.  We're a week in and she's doing great. Staying dry when awake, indicating when she needs to go, and she even used a public potty today. So proud of her! And so glad to have the last week behind us! 

The main thing that helped was taking some of the drama out - instructing her to sit down and go potty, and we left the bathroom and came back to check on her. I think that helped her to just go on her own and realize it wasn't that bad. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"