Two Under 2
Options

21 month sudden sleep issues since baby arrived

My fantastic sleeper has turned into a mess since new baby has come home. It has been four weeks of issues going down for nap and at bedtime along with middle of the night wakings. Given the situation of having lost mommys full attention I have been trying to rub her back and stand in doorway until she falls asleep. This can take up to 45 minutes and I can't keep this up when it happens 3 times a night since baby needs me for feedings. Any suggestions or should I bite the bullet and let her cry it out at this point?

Re: 21 month sudden sleep issues since baby arrived

• Options
    DS#1 was a hot mess when DS#2 arrived. DH and I had to each be responbsible for a child at night because there was no way I could get both, as neither could STTN. With #1, I would insist on naps because he still absolutely needed one (and I did too), and we kept the exact same bedtime routine. My rule for night wakings- go in once and make sure that he is physically ok, then after that he can figure it out. He learned quickly how to manipulate my husband to get more attention. At first there was a lot of crying (thankfully it didn't wake #2 up), and eventually he got the idea that we weren't going to in there. For naps I would let him cry until he tired himself out. There was only one occasion when he never went down and just cried. Sometimes it would take an hour. But again, he was physically ok and NEEDED to sleep. When #2 naps during the day, he gets my full attention, so it's not like he's being ignored. Stay strong and remember that nothing lasts forever. GL!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

My LOs are 3 years apart, but I popped in the board looking for help.  I am having the exact same problems with my 3yo.  He is such a pleasant child for most of the day, but he turns into a devil child at naptime and bedtime and is also waking in the night.  He has taken to screaming his head off, ear piercing, I want to rip my face off screaming.  We don't know what to do about it.  We don't want to give him a reaction to it, but he is waking the baby, and I'm afraid the neighbors will hear!  I usually let him go 5-10 minutes and then go in there and calmly and firmly say "No screaming, that is not okay. Lay down, you need to sleep."  Then he'll ask me to do some stupid thing like move a stuffed animal over and he'll go to sleep.  I realize he still has control over the situation, which I would like to get back, but I can't take the screaming any longer.

I am just trying to keep our routines the same and give him as much attention as usual (which is pretty easy now with the baby still sleeping almost all day).  I just hope he gets over it before we all lose our minds.

Good luck! 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"