Birth Stories

About to get a cerclage? Currently have one? Had one?

I am about to get one and am unsure of what to really expect.

Why was this procedure indicated? Was it definite that you had IC or speculated?

What was your experience esp. regarding pain, discomfort and the growing uterus/ pressure of baby throughout gestation?

Also, what activities were you no longer able to do? Could you go swimming with a stitch in, etc.?

Thanks!

BTW when are you due?
Nutmeg, cilantro, sage, mint, thyme... these are a few of my favorite things! Visit The Nest!Visit The Nest! We have four children; one left us too soon.

Re: About to get a cerclage? Currently have one? Had one?

• I don't have one, but am curious about them ... what were your symptoms that indicated you may need one - prior to the dr. checking you?  or was there something in your history that indicated that you may need one?
  • I've had 2.  Both were considered emergency cerclages.  The first was at 21 weeks with twins.  I was to have the stitch removed at 36 weeks but delivered at 32 due to PROM.  I had my second one with my youngest son at 23w6d, the last day you can have one.  I delivered him at 35 weeks due to HELLP syndrome. 

I felt pulling and tugging when they put them in.  I was in pain the rest of the day but fine after that.  I couldn't lift my twins for a month and I was on bedrest for 4 weeks with my last one and for the duration with my twins.

• Loading the player...
  • Hi there,

I know I'm about a month late posting a reply to your message, but I was browsing the birth stories board and saw your post and thought I'd reply.

I'm in the middle of dealing with having a cerclage right now. I've had it since 20 weeks and I'm now 30 weeks. I get it taken out at 36 weeks. I've been on bedrest since just before I got it when they discovered that I was dilated and funneling at 19 weeks and 5 days. My situation was pretty serious and I know a lot of women with the cerclage only have partial bedrest or none at all depending on their individual situations.

Good luck to you and my best advice is to follow your doctors orders and stay relaxed and calm as much as you can. You should do just fine!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"