Baby Names

Gunnar

Thoughts? I'm leaning towards using this name if I have a boy. I want something that sounds strong and isn't too popular.

Re: Gunnar

• To me it is not a strong name, it's violent.
  • I'm not a fan. Sorry.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imageWashingtonQueen:
    To me it is not a strong name, it's violent.

Wow... violent? Really? Hm. Hadn't thought of it that way. Interesting...
  • imageWashingtonQueen:

I agree with this. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm sorry but I really don't like that name at all.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • ZimgerZimger member

My DH has been trying to pitch this name for years. I won't go for it. I agree that it sounds violent. I get that it is a legit name but I don't like it's meaning which is derived from the war/warrior.

In addition, I also think it can be a heavy name for a kid to wear considering all the gun related violence and controversy we see everyday.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I don't mind it, but I associate it with Gunnar Nelson, of the musical duo Nelson.  I remember thinking it was a weird name when I was little because I'd never heard it before.

• Not a fan. I think there a lot of strong names you can use that sound better than this one
  • imageWashingtonQueen:

This exactly.
  • imageWashingtonQueen:

This exactly.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
    imageimageimage
  • I really like it, but I can see potential problems with it, especially in the current atmosphere in the US.  I'd have to think long and hard about using it.

Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    VOTE on my Name List
  • I used to love this name but today's climate makes me rethink it.  It's a very legit, cool name but most people will never get past the violent connotation and may stereotype the little guy as such. 

• Thank you everyone for the feedback.

The good news seems to be that if I decide to use this name, at least I won't have to worry about my son sharing his name with lots of other kids in his class! Haha!
  • It's okay, to me it's a family name and makes me picture a bunch of old farmers in overalls and rubber boots. 
  • Violent? No. Scandinavian ? Yes.
    Birthday

• imageWashingtonQueen:

I totally agree.

Mr. & Mrs. - Est. 10.03.2009

TTC #1 since 06.2011 Me-24 DH-24

12.2011 SA = Normal

06.2012 First visit with OB/GYN

10.2012 Clomid 50mg + TI = BFN

11.2012 Clomid 50mg + TI = BFN

12.2012 Clomid 100mg + TI = BFN

01.2013 First visit with RE

02.2013 Clomid 150mg + TI = BFN

03.2013 Femara 5mg + TI = BFN

05.2013 Femara 5mg + TI = BFN

06.2013 Femara 7.5mg + TI = BFN

*Taking a break*  

• elyndselynds member
    My cousin is named Gunnar - he's 18 now and the name fits him perfectly.  We all thought it was kinda different at first, but he really grew into the name,
  • imageMrs.G123:
    Violent? No. Scandinavian ? Yes.

This.  

To not use the name Gunnar because of gun violence in America (which is down, btw) is like not using the word niggardly because of potentially offending someone who thinks you are using a bad word.

Have you considered the name Gunther?  Both are Scandinavian, start with G, and have similar meanings.  It is not in the top 1000 names in 2012, unlike Gunnar (@ 451 in 2012).  Another benefit to Gunther > Gunnar -- spell-check doesn't highlight it in red. 

T 2.12 | W 5.14

• I think weapons.

Suggestions:

Conrad

Kenneth

Thomas

Bradley

Desmond

• iEricaiErica member
    Sorry, it's one of my most disliked names.
  • imageWashingtonQueen:

yep, this. Gunnar = guns in my mind.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageWashingtonQueen:

This. All of this. I really dont like it at all. 

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Anniversary
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  •  I think of farmers ! it's pretty popular in my area, as are Hunter, Archer, and Gauge. I have no problems with it, just not exactly my taste but it's cute!
    T: 10/04/06 L: 4/22/09 Baby: EDD: 1/30/14 MMC & D&C: 7/3/13
    Baby 2: EDD: 8/06/14 CP: 11/13

BabyFetus Ticker

• imageho11yday:

imageMrs.G123:

This.  

To not use the name Gunnar because of gun violence in America (which is down, btw) is like not using the word niggardly because of potentially offending someone who thinks you are using a bad word.

Have you considered the name Gunther?  Both are Scandinavian, start with G, and have similar meanings.  It is not in the top 1000 names in 2012, unlike Gunnar (@ 451 in 2012).  Another benefit to Gunther > Gunnar -- spell-check doesn't highlight it in red. 

Not a huge fan of Gunther... I like Gunnar much better.  The fact that people relate this name to gun violence, I think, is ridiculous.  It actually makes me want to use the name even more just to separate myself from that type of person/thought process.  Haha.  I guess I like to be different (& controversial if need be!) 

• imageho11yday:

I actually wouldn't use the word niggardly in conversation unless I was quite certain it would be received as it was intended without being misheard or misunderstood.  I wish other people had broader vocabularies, but when perfectly good synonyms exist, I will use the one that is less likely to be misconstrued.

And so it is with names.  You can probably find something with the same vibe that won't have violent connotations to other people.  I don't have a problem with Gunnar, personally (as long as it's that spelling), since I just read it as Scandinavian and not violent.  But while you can choose a name, you can't choose how other people will react to it.  And you may not mind that it's controversial, but you're not making the decision for yourself, but for another person.  So take that into account.  Like I said, I don't side-eye it, but obviously others do.

DD born 10/10/07 * DS born 11/25/11 * #3 due 3/9/2015
  • KatFCoKatFCo member
    imageShadow512:
    imageho11yday:

imageMrs.G123:

This.  

Not a huge fan of Gunther... I like Gunnar much better.  The fact that people relate this name to gun violence, I think, is ridiculous.  It actually makes me want to use the name even more just to separate myself from that type of person/thought process.  Haha.  I guess I like to be different (& controversial if need be!) 

Gunnar means battle warrior, is a homophone of Gunner and has the word gun in it. Why is it ridiculous that it makes people think of guns?

Personally, I dislike the name because to me, it's the name you give to a dog, like a boxer or something.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageShadow512:

You know your are not naming yourself, right?

• imageMrs.G123:

I fully agree. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I hate this name, not only because it sounds violent but because when there was a kiss- clerk in my husband's law firm all the associates called them a Gunner, so it reminds me of that.
  • Sounds super redneck IMO.
  • ZimgerZimger member
    imagecapulet:
    imageho11yday:

I actually wouldn't use the word niggardly in conversation unless I was quite certain it would be received as it was intended without being misheard or misunderstood.  I wish other people had broader vocabularies, but when perfectly good synonyms exist, I will use the one that is less likely to be misconstrued.

And so it is with names.  You can probably find something with the same vibe that won't have violent connotations to other people.  I don't have a problem with Gunnar, personally (as long as it's that spelling), since I just read it as Scandinavian and not violent.  But while you can choose a name, you can't choose how other people will react to it.  And you may not mind that it's controversial, but you're not making the decision for yourself, but for another person.  So take that into account.  Like I said, I don't side-eye it, but obviously others do.

Yes

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I'm in the minority. But I really like this name. Admittedly, I loved Mighty Ducks back in the day and that one character's name was Gunnar Stahl. I thought it was really cool.
  • imagewhoopsybaby:
    I used to love this name but today's climate makes me rethink it.  It's a very legit, cool name but most people will never get past the violent connotation and may stereotype the little guy as such. 

This. It is a good, strong, legit name, but a lot of people just associate it with violence right off the bat. My friend's son is named Gunnar, actually. He's about 2 years old and I don't think they've really run into many people hating on his name yet, but who knows?

S/P L salpingo-oophorectomy w/ septic torsion 1999, dx moderate to severe Crohn's dz 2004. DH S/P hypospadic sx w/ multiple subsequent scar tissue removals, S/P herniorrhaphy. Married on 10/7/2006! TTC since May 2011; abnormal SA #1, better SA #2, normal HSG 7/2012, dx MFI/ low egg count, IUI! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageNerdyLucy:

imageMrs.G123:

I fully agree. 

Also agree. 

Married since 2008 | TTC #1 since 2011

2 losses: Nov '11 and Aug '12
    Dx: Feb '13 - HSG shows clear tubes but minor diverticulitis; Borderline DOR; Low DHEA and low testosterone.
    Moving on to IUI or IVF.

3.4.13:  Holy crap! Surprise natural BFP on cycle #19. EDD 11.12.13
    We've got a peen.....it's a boy! 
    Little man born 11.17.2013 via c-section

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• imageWashingtonQueen:
    I don't agree at all! People malign this name unfairly I think. Gunner is violent. Gunnar is a handsome Scandinavian name with a lot of history.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
    N '13 November Siggy Challenge- Baby Pictures

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"