International Bumpies

Canadian Moms

I was wondering if any Canadian moms know how long you must work following your mat leave to be qualified to go on mat leave again? Is it 600 hours?

I am not TTC again yet, I go back in July and hope to try again in Nov/Dec, but I would like to make sure I am clear how it works! No matter how many times I read the Ministry of Labour site I still interpret it different each time.

Thanks! 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Canadian Moms

• Yes, 600 hours typically to receive EI. But to have job guarantee if you were employed with the same company prior to your previous mat leave you've already hit the 1 year minimum. I worked for a company for a few years, went on leave with dd2, and then found out I was expecting dd3 about two months after I got back off mat leave. Even though the time between ending one leave and beginning another was less than a year, I still qualified for job protection because of my original start date.
  • Thank your for your reply! 

So I think I have one follow up question. I worked at my company 5 years before I left on mat leave with my DD. I go back in July and hope to be working 15 to 18 months before I leave for a second mat leave (hopefully). Is the one year minimum for job guarantee calculated as one year employed with your employer total, or one year back to work following a pervious mat leave? 

Again, thanks a bunch :) 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • You only have to work 600 hours ( 15 weeks of full time work) to qualify for EI.  And I believe the job guarantee is based on tenure not time between leaves. You can always call or visit a service Canada office to get the exact details.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageOhBaby+2013:
    You only have to work 600 hours ( 15 weeks of full time work) to qualify for EI.  And I believe the job guarantee is based on tenure not time between leaves. You can always call or visit a service Canada office to get the exact details.
    It is. OP, if you've already worked there five years, you've gotten your tenure.
  • imageOhBaby+2013:
    You only have to work 600 hours ( 15 weeks of full time work) to qualify for EI.  And I believe the job guarantee is based on tenure not time between leaves. You can always call or visit a service Canada office to get the exact details.

This is why I am heading back to work a couple months early (Aug insted of Nov) to ensure that I have enough hours to rebuild towards EI again before Jan. And this time around I am going to try and work extra hours/overtime those 13 weeks before I leave to bump up that Mat pay

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"