September 2012 Moms
Options

I thought I had a stroke yesterday and anxiety med questions

Long story short-- yesterday I started losing my speech and had numbness on my right side while driving with the boys. I immediately pulled over and called 911. We took an ambulance to the hospital. Turns out it was a migraine. I've had tons of migraines with aura before but this one was clearly different.  Thankfully I had my injectable so the pain after the aura ended up being bearable. 

I am doing everything "right" to control the migraines-- low estrogen BC taken continuously, exercise, no MSG,etc. but the one thing I cannot easily control is my stress level.

I have always been an anxious person but right now we are moving (house not ready til Aug so we have to move in with my parents for a little), I'm going back to work officially the end of August, and if anyone saw my post about DS1 then you'll understand he's being a true terror (as much as I love the little guy).

I am at the point where I am considering anxiety medication. I've done the whole therapy route a few times before so I have some coping mechanisms but I think this time I need something more. I tried Zoloft in college and I wasn't impressed.

I feel like no one wants to medicate unless it is a last resort. I think I'm there. I'm going to talk to my gyno and neurologist but I'd love some personal experiences. Also do you recommend anything in particular? Especially for someone like me who is ultra estrogen sensitive.  Thanks for any input!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: I thought I had a stroke yesterday and anxiety med questions

• Options
    BPerBPer member
    I take klonopin as needed for anxiety. It's worked great for me, and I like that I don't have to take it if I'm not feeling anxious. I wasn't impressed with Zoloft, or any of the SSRIs I've been on in the past.

• Options
    msm261msm261 member
    Thanks guys. I'm happy y'all found meds that work. I will def ask about both. It's not just that these stressful things are happening but I'm also at the point where I cannot cope effectively. Plus this migraine scared the crap out of me. It mimicked a stroke which was terrifying. I kept thinking that I would die and my boys would be stuck in the back seat until someone stopped to see what was wrong. Terrible. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I get depression/anxiety on any kind of hormonal BC... hence my current pregnancy... I'm going to try the copper IUD after this baby to avoid hormones altogether.  No experience with the migranes, but I'd probably go with whatever your doc recommends first.  I was on anti-anxiety med elavil for a while to help control my IBS which was influenced by my anxiety- it worked, but I had to get off of it before getting pregnant with DD.  My doc recommended elavil because it's supposed to be good at helping with the intestinal spasms, so there might be some drugs that have more of an affect on the migranes.

• Options
    BPerBPer member

imagemsm261:
    Thanks guys. I'm happy y'all found meds that work. I will def ask about both. It's not just that these stressful things are happening but I'm also at the point where I cannot cope effectively. Plus this migraine scared the crap out of me. It mimicked a stroke which was terrifying. I kept thinking that I would die and my boys would be stuck in the back seat until someone stopped to see what was wrong. Terrible. 

Okay, not meant to freak you out, because obviously you're okay now, but this happened to me.

I was at Home Goods shopping, ON my due date. I felt a migraine coming on, and within minutes I had shooting pains in the right side of my head. It went away after about an hour.

Later in the day, my face felt tingly and looked swollen. I called my doctor and she had me go to L&D to have my BP checked. All was good, and they said it was probably just a nerve reacting to my migraine.

The next morning I woke up, and it looked as though I had had a stroke. It was Bell's palsy brought on by a combination of facial swelling, and a migraine.

So yeah, migraines are nothing to eff around with.

Thankfully, my face was pretty much back to normal by 6w PP. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"