High-Risk Pregnancy

FVL: aspirin vs lovenox HELP!

I?m not pregnant yet, but would love yalls input and experiences if you don?t mind:  I have two full term babies and had 2 miscarriages, both at 12 ? weeks with babies measuring 12 ? weeks.  My last miscarriage started on 3/31 this year.  No chromosomal defects with baby and I turned up with Factor V Leiden heterozygous.  I have not had issues outside of pregnancy, no clots.  I saw a MFM yesterday for preconception counseling and she recommended just taking a baby aspirin throughout pregnancy and then blood thinners for 8 weeks after birth.  She gave me the option of doing 40mg lovenox instead because I was concerned about aspirin not being as effective.  She said that would be the more conservative route, but she thought aspirin would be sufficient.  What are your thoughts or what are your drs doing for yall if you are in a similar situation?  I know even taking lovenox is not a guarantee, but I feel like I would feel better knowing I did all I could?

Re: FVL: aspirin vs lovenox HELP!

• I would opt for Lovenox.

I had one loss at 12.5 week, baby measuring 12w and 4 more early losses afterwards (they just kept getting earlier and earlier). I'm not FVL, but two of those early losses were while on baby aspirin. For this pg, I started lovenox at 3dpo, and I'm almost 30w now. I really don't think I would have gotten this far without the lovenox.

Married My Love on 6/18/2006
    BFP#1 10/1/2011. Our perfect little girl, Her heart stopped @ 12w1d. D&E 11/23/11
    BFP#2 3/13/12 Weird CP/Possible EP @ 6w0d
    BFP#3 5/28/12 CP @ 5w0d
    BFP/WTF#4 10/26/12 CP
    BFP#5 12/10/12 EDD 8/23/2013
    <3 Baby Boy Born 8/22/13 <3
     photo ellie.gifPhotobucket
  • I just found out I'm also heterozygous for FVL and I'm currently 24 weeks pregnant.  I have no history of clots and this is my first pregnancy.  My doctor recommended a daily baby aspirin and Lovenox shots for the remainder of my pregnancy.

I just started the shots yesterday.  I will be on Lovenox 1x per day until 36 weeks, then on heparin 2x a day until delivery.  After delivery I will go back on Lovenox for 6 weeks. I'm not sure how much it factored into the course of action, but I'm also AMA (39 yrs old).  I believe since the risk of clots increases with age that may have played into it.  Honestly, if I was 29 and they recommended it, I probably would still go for the shots. 

The fact that there was any increased chance of a clot that could possibly result in a 3rd trimester lost clinched it for me.   For what it's worth, giving myself the shot wasn't as bad as I thought. Of course, ask me again in 10 weeks plus and I may be complaining ;) Good luck! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I have FVL, started on ASA but was them switched to lovenox by my perinatologist. Right now I am only doing daily injections but that may change after my most recent lab work comes back.
  • I would go with the lovenox. I had a miscarriage at 12 weeks and this pregnancy I started my lovenox as soon as I got a second pink line and am now almost 19 weeks pregnant.

I have heterozygous FVL and a scary family history of clotting complications during pregnancy and PP.
  • Thanks put the input!!!  I really appreciate it.  I know I wont like the shots but I would rather do the most I can if we get pregnant again.  My insurance covers the lovenox so the price wouldn't be too bad for the peace of mind I think.  Hopefully I will be on here soon with you guys!! :)
  • I take both aspirin 81 mg and Lovenox.

Most of the medical literature I have looked at suggests the highest rate of live birth with this combination.  

I also had a history of recurrent loss, however for me, was earlier in pregnancy.   

TTC #1 12/2009
    BFP #1 1/2010, M/C 6 weeks
    BFP #2 6/2010, DD lost to
    congenital heart diseasewe are heartbroken.

TTC #2 4/2011, diagnosed MTHFR, FVL
    Four natural cycles BFN; Clomid IUI BFN; Follistim IUI BFN;
    1/2012 IVF #1 BFN
    4/2012 FET BFP #3
    5/2012 7w1d u/s: anembryonic demise; M/C @ 8w.
    6/2012 found Stage II/III endo on laparoscopy, removed w/ laser.
    8/2012 IVF #2 epic fail: no viable embryos.

Vacation, break, second opinions, on to new RE.
    1/2013 Surprise chemical pregnancy BFP #4 (break cycle), IVF #3 postponed.
    2/2013 TI w/ hormonal support, prednisone, aspirin, Lovenox, acupuncture gave us a miracle BFP #5!
    Heartbeat on U/S at 6w1d!
    Baby,please stay!!
    Our miracle baby boy arrived 10/2013!  We are so in love!!

10/2014 Surprise BFP #6
    Our second daughter arrived in May 2015!  We are so grateful!  

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• BonjayBonjay member
    I have MTHFR and have miscarried between each live birth.  My MFM said he hasn't seen any difference in patients using Lovenox vs baby aspirin  My regular OB put me on Lovenox in the very beginning but once I hit the 12.5 wk mark my MFM took me off Lovenox and has me on daily baby aspirin. I hope this helps.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"