Military Families
Options

Tripler midwife program

Good evening! I'm newly pregnant just found out this morning haha and live on MCBH. I haven't been able to call Tricare yet, but I was wondering if anyone had experience with the Midwife Program there? Or experience with Castle Hospital next to base?

Thanks for any info!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Tripler midwife program

• Options

I used the midwives there and know a few other people who did as well. I had a friend who delivered at Castle and she had a good experience.

Do you have any specific questions?

The biggest issue I had with the midwife program was that it was sometimes difficult to get appointments. Sometimes they wouldn't have their schedule ready, and I'd have to call and call and call so I could make my next appointment. They were also pretty busy, but I think that's because one of the midwives was on maternity leave for awhile.

Overall it was a positive experience. I'd be happy to answer any specific questions, but I'm not sure what you're looking for.

• Options
    imageladybugpjb:
    I used the midwives there and know a few other people who did as well. I had a friend who delivered at Castle and she had a good experience.Do you havenbsp;any specific questions? The biggest issue I had with the midwife program was that it was sometimes difficult to get appointments. Sometimes they wouldn't have their schedule ready, and I'd have to call and call and call so I could make my next appointment. They were also pretty busy, but I think that's because one of the midwives was on maternity leave for awhile.Overall it was a positive experience. I'd be happy to answer any specific questions, but I'm not sure what you're looking for.

I don't know if I have specific questions yet, but just wondering about overall experiences like if you felt comfortable and if it was positive.

I guess I do wonder if the midwives do ultrasounds haha
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

It was a positive experience....not perfect, but positive.

If you need a dating ultrasound, you'll get that (because that would be set up before you actually see a MW), and you'll get the 20 week anatomy scan. I also had a really quick u/s towards the end of my pregnancy to check position, but I happened to be seeing an OB for that appointment.

Tricare only covers the anatomy scan (and dating ultrasound if necessary), so you really wouldn't be missing out on anything. OBs might pull in the small u/s machine to do quick checks, but I don't know how common that is. I've been seeing OBs this time (at a different base) and have only had the one quick "extra" u/s to check position.

If you're wanting MORE u/s, you might want to look into your options at other hospitals, but I think that means going on Standard.

If you think of anything specific, let me know and I'll try to help.

• Options
    since you live in kailua you need to go to aloha Lamaze with Janis bush! there are only two real Lamaze teachers and she's one of them.
  • Options

I see Joan Thompson - she's a midwife in dr battacharyas office (located at castle) and delivers at castle. She's wonderful and I love their whole office! 

Just FYI- do you have tricare prime or standard? If prime, you have to go to tripler. If standard, you cannot use tripler.  

Congrats! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"