April 2011 Moms

s/o big boy beds...

ds1 has not even attempted to get out of his crib yet.  how did you know lo was ready to make the transition to a toddler bed?  i know he needs to transition soon, but are there rules to when it is appropriate to do this?  dh and i go back and forth on when we will make the switch ;)
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
| Olowalu, Maui ~ August 6, 2008 |
| Family of 4 ~ April 2, 2011 |
| Family of 5 - October 24, 2012 |

Re: s/o big boy beds...

• In our case, Chase climbed out of his crib once during naptime.  We told him "no" and put him back in the crib for his nap and then transitioned his crib to a toddler bed that night.  Strangely enough, he has only gotten out of his big boy bed once.  We put him right back in bed, and that was that.  Now, when he wakes up from his nap or in the morning, he calls us and waits for us to go in there and tell him it is OK to get up.

The transition was a bit earlier than I was expecting.  I think he was about 20 months old and we were planning on waiting until age 2.  No complaints though, as it worked out pretty smoothly. 

Chase was born 4/23/2011
    Carlene was born 4/18/2014                          A14 siggy challenge:  Junk Food
    image  image image

• kje120kje120 member
    Andrew has yet to try to climb out. We're transitioning him soon because we don't want to buy another crib and the baby will need his, but if I had my way I'd keep him contained until he did climb out.  I'm nervous about the transition.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • vanfoxvanfox member
    DS never tried to climb out of his crib, but he's been sleeping on an open cot at daycare for 8 months and since I know potty training is around the corner, I wanted him to be able to leave his bed at night if necessary. I know some kids who started in a toddler bed at 18 months, and some who went straight into a twin or full at 3. I think pretty much any time you think is reasonable is the right time!
  • Pedi said to switch him once he started to attempt to climb out but that never happened.  DD is due in October so we needed to transition him so we could use his crib and not buy a new one.  I would have had him in there as long as possible :)
     Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagekestock120:
    Andrew has yet to try to climb out. We're transitioning him soon because we don't want to buy another crib and the baby will need his, but if I had my way I'd keep him contained until he did climb out.  I'm nervous about the transition.

i'm nervous too!  i don't want to ruin a good thing, but i know it has to be done at some point :(  ds2 {7 months}, still doesn't sleep through the night yet so i'm REALLY in for sleepless nights when the transition happens.  eek!

| Olowalu, Maui ~ August 6, 2008 |
    | Family of 4 ~ April 2, 2011 |
    | Family of 5 - October 24, 2012 |
  • VespahVespah member
    We changed when DD attempted to climb out. It went very smoothly, no sleepless nights at all. Once we close the door she says put and lets herself out of her room in the morning when she is up. Giving her some freedom has really increased her confidence and independence.
    Derek - February 2013        Caelyn April 2011
    imageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"