May 2012 Moms

Moms of girls, I have a question

Yesterday I noticed that when DD pooped and I had to clean her vagina area she would scream bloody murder with tears rolling down her face. A part of me thought she just didn't want to be changed or maybe she was just really ready for her nap. Her area was a little red but nothing alarming and it was only when I cleaned that area. I called the doctor to ask if it could have been something more serious and they said if it doesn't look really bad then it's probably nothing to be concerned about.

This morning I was cleaning a poopy diaper and when I got to her vagina area to clean it out she started screaming again. I took a closer look and I saw that it looks like on one side the skin has been pulled and it's exposing raw red skin that's very sensitive and I'm sure hurts when a baby wipe is on it. My question is is this something I need to take her to the doctor for or just let it heal on it's own?

I know there is no foul play. She doesn't go to daycare, she stays with me all day and DH doesn't change her diapers, only I do. So I'm the only person with access to that area. Could I have wiped too hard once?? Sweet baby only has pain when I clean her and I'm making sure I'm super gentle. I feel so bad, she's in pain and it has to be my fault. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 

image   image

Re: Moms of girls, I have a question

• Isn't it so disgusting and sad that we have to worry about foul play with our babies?  Sigh.

That being said, I am guessing the doctor would just have you let it heal on its own because there isn't anything they can do, but I am a freak and would be calling the office just to see what they said. 

• Unless you're thinking yeast or UTI the dr probably won't be able to do much. Go diaper free as much as you can today and use a gentle cream, like aquaphor, calendula, or a and d, with diapers. Also, use a gentle wash cloth or wet paper towel instead of wipes so the alcohol doesn't irritate it more. If it looks worse tomorrow I would go to the dr though.

ETA - she may have scratched it herself in the tub or something (with her nail or a toy) - my son did that once.

image   image

• Loading the player...
  • I absolutely hate when poop gets in there, because DD hates having that area cleaned, no matter how gentle I am. 

I think it's possible, like you said, that wiping too hard might have damaged the sensitive skin there, or even that acid in the poop itself could have caused a little diaper rash to pop up there.  I agree with the PP that there's probably not much to do other than try to keep it clean, pat it dry before closing up a new diaper, and let it heal.  If it doesn't look better in a couple of days, then I would probably call the pedi.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• fryratfryrat member
    A little raw rash can "stick" to the skin next to it when it starts to heal. I would put something on it, like vaseline or ad ointment. Ointment, not cream, because you want it to sit on the skin instead of soak in. You create a physical barrier that protects that raw spot, as well as keeping the skin soft and supple, so if it does get pulled, it's not stuck to the skin next to it, and it won't hurt.
    For my little man...I only knew you in my heart. D&C 3/1/11 EDD 9/8/11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • ebl2ebl2 member
    Thank you ladies, it's looking much better. The doctor said everything you all have said - that it's likely the acid in the poop and to put a&d ointment on it. I appreciate the advice! 

image   image

• My Nathan's poop burns his tushy skin so I can't imagine how it would be on girl parts. Hope she feels better soon
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Untitled
  • Now I must admit I'm curious what foods make poop more acidic? Maybe altering her diet until she fully heals would help, too. I remember there was one pouch meal that would make Fi's tush glow red even if I changed her as soon as she pooped.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • ebl2ebl2 member

imagebellelamb:
    imagemichyme123:
    imagenlynch11:
    I'm glad she's on the mend but can we talk about why your DH doesn't change diapers? Like, never?
    this is what caught my eye as well. That would never fly in our house.
    Lol glad I'm not the only one who thought this.

Haha, I was surprised it took that long for someone to say something about that. DH has changed maybe 10 diapers. We have a deal that I will change all diapers if he cleans our 2 cats litter box, feeds them, cleans up their occasional throw up, etc. I don't mind our deal one bit. I just trust myself more when it comes to cleaning her after a poopy diaper. I would hate for her to get an infection because she wasn't cleaned properly. It's like the saying, if you want something done right you do it yourself. 

image   image

• ebl2ebl2 member

imageMelissaMiso:
    Now I must admit I'm curious what foods make poop more acidic? Maybe altering her diet until she fully heals would help, too. I remember there was one pouch meal that would make Fi's tush glow red even if I changed her as soon as she pooped.

I figured it was either due to a new tooth she got and/or she ate some pineapple the other day. 

image   image

• Nice! Our deal is similar but I clean the toilets and dh does the litter boxes!

And yes teething causes it for my kids, the acid poop I mean.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Untitled
  • ebl2ebl2 member
    You should try and work out a deal with your hubby. I don't clean toilets either, DH does. Like I said, I'm happy with our deal. I have no problem being the only one who changes her if I don't have to clean the litter box or toilets. :) 

image   image

• to take this post in another direction, my DH is really into diaper changes, he frequently chimes in while I do mine with pointers, Thanks Sweetie! BBBUUUUTTT what I find funny is when he asks me stuff about keeping her privates clean because I am also female, I always reply well I don't wear a diaper and I poop into a toilet so it is a lot easier.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"