June 2012 Moms

Cow's milk transition...

So I'm approaching the end of June for his first birthday and wondering to those who have already hit that big ONE birthday how you transitioned and if you waited exactly til after their birthday or started a week or two before at all?  

Re: Cow's milk transition...

• We will start tomorrow - on the actual birthday.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • We're doing extended bfing until DS weans himself. After that we are still unsure if we will transition to cow milk or almond milk. I prefer to transition to almond but DH wants him on cows milk. I guess we'll deal with it when we actually cross that bridge.
  • Loading the player...
  • Ive been doing 2/6oz of WCM for a couple weeks. He didnt like the taste of it. We went half and half this past week and then cold turkey yesterday, which is going well. Im in the camp of there's no magical transformation on their birthday. 

Ive been really pushing water since it has affected his ability to go. 

• I am not weaning DD. She still BFs, I just won't pump anymore. I will mix BM with WCM and she will drink that.
  • We are mixing BM with cows milk about half and half. He does fine with it. I've gotten the organic milk at whole foods and whole milk at Trader Joes. Sometimes I mix half formula and BM so he gets a mixture of everything.
    He turns 1 on the 23rd.
  • I'm waiting until our formula stash gets a little lower. I'm in no huge rush. I feel that he's slightly behind when it comes to his eating skills, so I think it's probably okay if we start the transition a little later.
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I am still BFing in the morning and the evening, and giving WCM in straw sippy cups with her meals. Its been a challenge but she is getting used to the taste now. We introduced it a few days after her birthday.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • We started the day after DD turned 1. I'm still nursing but have stopped pumping. DD nurses in the morning, right before bed, in the middle of the night, and sometimes at lunchtime if I go see her at daycare.

I had planned on mixing breast milk and WCM for her slowly but she ended up just getting all WCM. She LOVES it. It was a very very easy transition. She probably drinks about a 1/4 of her sippy at meals. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • SigirSigir member
    I weaned dd at 11 mo bc my supply disappeared w the pregnancy. We started making half cows milk bottles at 11 mo. Now I am going to quarter formula, three quarters milk. In a few weeks we will go all milk. No issues yet.
  • We stopped nursing about a week ago but had been transitioning to formula for a few weeks.  We aren't going to our 1 year appointment until close to 13 months and when I called our pedi really wanted us to stay on formula until we can re-evaluate at that time.  I think its because DS didn't grow much from 3-9 months and he won't drink much formula or pumped milk anyway but he's really caught up in the last few months.  He's a great solids eater and I think he's ready but it doesn't seem like there's any harm in waiting.  I already failed on my BM to WCM plan and we are just getting the swing of the bottles/formula routine so I'm not too set on particular plan.

Is everyone rushing to drop bottles and only do sippy's or is anyone continuing with bottles for a while? I did want to keep formula in bottles and WCM in sippy's to make the transition clear. He only drinks about 8-12 ounces all day and another 8 in the MOTN.  I plan to drop daytime bottles after we go the WCM but stick with the MOTN bottle for a little while longer unless his daytime consumption improves. He's not that into a bottle anyway so I don't think they will be too tough to drop.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We saw our pedi last week, and he told us to go ahead and make the switch. He recommended to try going straight from formula to WCM "cold turkey" but mixing it if he refused it. DS actually liked the milk just fine, but I could tell he was kind of missing his bottles. The first day he was pretty cranky b/c he didn't make up the calories by upping his food intake. By the second day he was doing better, and now we're fine. We did do formula in a bedtime bottle the first 2 nights of starting WCM, weaning down an ounce each night. On the third night, I tried not giving the bottle altogether b/c he ate an enormous supper right before bed. He fussed a lot b/c it messed up our bedtime routine, but once he fell asleep, he STTN just fine.

• We started around 11 months, mixing the formula with WCM.  He's had no issues so far and he'll actually drink it straight without the formula.  My issues are phasing out the bottle and having him drink milk from his cup. He's a lot more attached to the bottle than I thought. Huh?
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • DS eats like a hog so his formula has gone down to 1622 oz a day. Half of that is pasteurized unhomogenized whole milk. He gets about 4 bottles 46oz a day. One when he wakes up, one before each nap and one before bed. We will cut out the morning one soon. When he makes the transition to only wcm I only want him to be drinking a total of 12 oz a day. He eats a lot of cheese and yogurt and milk is hard on the stomach.
  • Aria's birthday is the 23rd. We are easing into it now. She acts like there is no difference between that and formula, so we got lucky on the transition.
  • We started last month. He was only getting one bottle before bed and the rest of his formula was in sippies already. I just switched his breakfast and lunch to milk. I never have mixed formula and milk even with the other two. Last night was his last bottle of formula. He's now on sippies of milk. So very happy!
    BFP 12/23/07, M/C 1/25/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We just started today. DS turned one last week.

It didn't go so well. My DS was kinda over having bottles during the day and he drinks water from a cup very well. So I thought this would be easier but he doesn't seem to be feeling the milk yet.

I tried three different types of cups. I also tried warming up the milk. He had a couple of sips and that was it.

I'm hoping tomorrow goes better.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagehenrytviii:

We stopped nursing about a week ago but had been transitioning to formula for a few weeks.  We aren't going to our 1 year appointment until close to 13 months and when I called our pedi really wanted us to stay on formula until we can re-evaluate at that time.  I think its because DS didn't grow much from 3-9 months and he won't drink much formula or pumped milk anyway but he's really caught up in the last few months.  He's a great solids eater and I think he's ready but it doesn't seem like there's any harm in waiting.  I already failed on my BM to WCM plan and we are just getting the swing of the bottles/formula routine so I'm not too set on particular plan.

Is everyone rushing to drop bottles and only do sippy's or is anyone continuing with bottles for a while? I did want to keep formula in bottles and WCM in sippy's to make the transition clear. He only drinks about 8-12 ounces all day and another 8 in the MOTN.  I plan to drop daytime bottles after we go the WCM but stick with the MOTN bottle for a little while longer unless his daytime consumption improves. He's not that into a bottle anyway so I don't think they will be too tough to drop.

I have frozen BM that I will still give to DD in a bottle. WCM will be given in a cup. She tried some today.

• imageacbfreire:
    imagehenrytviii:

We stopped nursing about a week ago but had been transitioning to formula for a few weeks.  We aren't going to our 1 year appointment until close to 13 months and when I called our pedi really wanted us to stay on formula until we can re-evaluate at that time.  I think its because DS didn't grow much from 3-9 months and he won't drink much formula or pumped milk anyway but he's really caught up in the last few months.  He's a great solids eater and I think he's ready but it doesn't seem like there's any harm in waiting.  I already failed on my BM to WCM plan and we are just getting the swing of the bottles/formula routine so I'm not too set on particular plan.

I have frozen BM that I will still give to DD in a bottle. WCM will be given in a cup. She tried some today.

I don't really plan on getting rid of the bottles. He only drinks milk from a bottle when we are winding down for a nap or bed. He shows no attachment to them so I don't see a reason that I would need to worry about a developing problem and take them away.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"