International Bumpies

carseat - US to Canada

I will be flying from the US to Canada and was wondering what to do about getting home with our 12 month old if her US car seat gets confiscated by Canadian customs. Taking public transport will be a bit complicated as I will be traveling alone with her and home is an hour away. A cab shuttle service from the airport exists but doesn't provide car seats. Does anyone know how strict they are with letting US car seats through at the border? And how do folks manage to get home without one?

Re: carseat - US to Canada

• Are you just visiting?  I don't know for sure but I would think if you're just visiting they wouldn't confiscate.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Why wouldn't they let the car seat across the border? I don't think theres a difference between Cdn and US car seats. Sorry maybe I'm misunderstanding

• Loading the player...
  • We're moving permanently. Canada and the US have different car seat regulations, and using US carseats in Canada would be illegal.
  • I think for a move they wouldn't take your carseat when you cross into Canada. I would feel better contacting Transport Canada and asking what the protocol is in your situation. I believe they regulate carseat standards in Canada. A quick google search and I found there are a few seats that are both US and Canada approved. If this is true, you could purchase a seat there that would work here. I assume the sticker on the seat would state it was US and Canada approved. I would start with a call to Transport Canada. Good luck on your move! Canada is awesome!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imagealizabethanne:
    I think for a move they wouldn't take your carseat when you cross into Canada. I would feel better contacting Transport Canada and asking what the protocol is in your situation. I believe they regulate carseat standards in Canada. A quick google search and I found there are a few seats that are both US and Canada approved. If this is true, you could purchase a seat there that would work here. I assume the sticker on the seat would state it was US and Canada approved. I would start with a call to Transport Canada. Good luck on your move! Canada is awesome!

This is sound advise.  Call transport Canada and/or Canada border services.  Good luck. 

Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageCarrieAnne09:
    Why wouldn't they let the car seat across the border? I don't think theres a difference between Cdn and US car seats. Sorry maybe I'm misunderstanding

There is actually differences in the seats and Canadians cannot buy US made seats and legally use them here. 

I'm not sure what the protocol is for moving, so like someone else said, calling transport Canada and border control would probably be your best move.

Daughter #1 - February 12, 2010 

natural m/c March 11, 2011 at 8 1/2 weeks 

Daughter #2 - January 11, 2012 

Ectopic pregnancy discovered November 6, 2012 at 6 weeks

Daughter #3 - January 19, 2014

Started our exploration into the world of international adoption June 2012.  We have no idea what this is going to look like but we are excited to find out!

image              image

• imagealizabethanne:
    I think for a move they wouldn't take your carseat when you cross into Canada. I would feel better contacting Transport Canada and asking what the protocol is in your situation. I believe they regulate carseat standards in Canada. A quick google search and I found there are a few seats that are both US and Canada approved. If this is true, you could purchase a seat there that would work here. I assume the sticker on the seat would state it was US and Canada approved. I would start with a call to Transport Canada. Good luck on your move! Canada is awesome!

Thank you, this was helpful. Genius idea to check on dual compatible car seats. It seems there was one (the Orbit) but they stopped dual certifying it recently. I've contacted Transport Canada but based on previous attempts to deal with the state, I am guessing I will get a stock reply. Fingers crossed though. 

• You're okay to fly/travel with them, but once you're settled I'd look into replacing them. I'm not sure what the time frame is for doing this, but I'd replace them with Canadian seats about the same time as you change your US driver's license for a Canadian. If you have a Canadian drivers license and car seats with no Transport Canada sticker (Maple Leaf) you run the risk of being fined in a traffic stop and no compensation in an accident. If you purchase the seat in the US it won't be Transport Canada approved period, and they can't send stickers to you even if you have (as an example) a Graco MyRide, since there may be difference in the MyRides sold in Canada. This is even more of a concern since they updated the regulations on car seats and change came about before Jan 1 2012.

A little light reading: https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/roadsafety/safedrivers-childsafety-faq-1131.htm

Come give us a shout out (or join Car Seats for the Littles on FB) once you're settled, car seats are a different animal in Canada both price wise and on height limits.

• imagedhviel:

imageCarrieAnne09:
    Why wouldn't they let the car seat across the border? I don't think theres a difference between Cdn and US car seats. Sorry maybe I'm misunderstanding

There is actually differences in the seats and Canadians cannot buy US made seats and legally use them here. 

I'm not sure what the protocol is for moving, so like someone else said, calling transport Canada and border control would probably be your best move.

Learn something new everyday! I had no idea. My sister brings a car seat to Maui for my niece when we go on holidays. But maybe it's different going from Canada to the US. Still good to know.

• imageCarrieAnne09:
    imagedhviel:

imageCarrieAnne09:

Learn something new everyday! I had no idea. My sister brings a car seat to Maui for my niece when we go on holidays. But maybe it's different going from Canada to the US. Still good to know.

Well for vacations I don't think they would care, but it does make a difference when you are moving.

Daughter #1 - February 12, 2010 

natural m/c March 11, 2011 at 8 1/2 weeks 

Daughter #2 - January 11, 2012 

Ectopic pregnancy discovered November 6, 2012 at 6 weeks

Daughter #3 - January 19, 2014

Started our exploration into the world of international adoption June 2012.  We have no idea what this is going to look like but we are excited to find out!

image              image

• imagedhviel:
    imageCarrieAnne09:
    imagedhviel:

imageCarrieAnne09:

Well for vacations I don't think they would care, but it does make a difference when you are moving.

dhviel is correct. Visitors/travellers they don't care, but if you are moving you need seats compliant with the country you're moving to (unless you're US Military - then you can still use US seats).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"