VBAC

Struggling to decide between VBAC. And repeat csection

Hi ladies...I'm reporting this from the csection board to get more responses. Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences!

I'm really struggling in deciding between a VBAC and repeat Csection. I'm looking for some advice/experiences of others to hear what others have done and get sons more opinions. I had my first section 3 years ago for failure to progress. I never made it passed a 7. This time around my dr and midwife say I'm a great candidate for a VBAC but I'm nervous that I would just end up right back with a section ultimately. I'm due the beginning of Sept and as a teacher it would be much easier to plan the delivery and my mat leave upfront but I feel guilty choosing a c section only for convenience of planning. I clearly still have time to decide and am discussing pros and cons with my health care team but would love to hear what others would do in my situation. Thanks ladies!

Re: Struggling to decide between VBAC. And repeat csection

• I understand your apprehension. I was the same way. I stopped at 7.5 cm with my son and had a c/s after 22 hours. I was so scared of the same thing with my VBAC. I kept an open mind and went into labor at 39 weeks. The labor was amazing! You can read my birth story further down the page with the title "I did it!" It was very much worth it to me and I wouldn't change my decision if you paid me a million dollars. Good luck!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• There are so many factors in this decision and it is all so personal that it is very difficult to answer such a broad question.  For me, I felt so awful (both physically and emotionally) after my cs I knew that I could not handle getting pregnant again if I had to resign myself to scheduling a cs.  I just knew that there had to be a better way and that birth couldn't possibly be meant to be that devastating.  I did a ton of research on the birth process, read about a million positive birth stories and worked very hard to change my view about how birth should be and about how to deal with the pain.  I also simply refused to think about my body not working.  It was a very long journey for me but at the end of it I had an amazing birth and I would not change it for the world.
  • Loading the player...
  • I was nervous at first about the same thing, what if it ends in another csection.  After having a vbac though, I can't imagine having not tried!  I was up and about and felt fine at 2 weeks pp.  Driving, lifting a toddler, etc.  I even had a ton a tearing and an episiotomy (which did take a long time to heal), but the recovery from that was nothing in comparison to the pain from a csection.  Everything went better - birth, recovery, getting to hold the baby the second he was born, breastfeeding - I wouldn't trade it.  I'm so glad I didn't schedule a csection.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Thank you all so much for your responses. I appreciate hearing your stories!
  • I loved having a VBAC. It was an entirely different and better birthing experience than my CSection. I don't think there is much harm in trying for the VBAC and if you do not progress again then just be prepared for the CSection. Less convenient but the upside is a way better birth and recovery.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I just had my 2nd csection after attempting a VBAC. My first baby I never progressed past 4cm and it was a horrible 30hr labor with lots of interventions. This time my dr broke my water and everything progressed naturally until I stalled out at 6cm.
    Even though it ended in a csection, I am now at peace with both my csections. I was really worried about depression if I didn't try at all. I am so glad I tried.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • I too am facing this huge decision (although I am only 6 weeks pregnant).  My first birth was  a planned natural birth until everything in the book went wrong and I ended up with an emergency c-section.  My husband and family don't want me to go through it again and want me to schedule another c-section.  I want to experience labor and dont want to rely on pain meds to get me out of bed.  I want to be coherant when my baby is delivered and I want to be able to breastfeed (all in which I wasn't able to do/be after my c-section).  I have a consult with a midwife tomorrow who will discuss everything with me but if I choose to have a VBAC then I will need to go somewhere else because they don't do them at that hospital.  I truly would love to hear lots of positive stories and not be so discouraged from those around me. 
  • My first C-S was because of breach multiples. So I didn't have a chance to labor at all. 

So I am really looking forward to my VBAC. Also I have 14 month old twins that will be 19 months when this baby is born and I won't be able to NOT lift them into the car, or put them in their beds, or their high chairs. And if I have to have another section I won't be allowed to lift them during the recovery and since my husband works, full time I won't have constant help with the twins.And that is really pushing my decision to at least try the VBAC.

But it took me several weeks to decide. At first my opinion was lets just go with what I know, I have had a C/S it was easy, just do it again. But my doctor looked at my chart and said I looked like an excellent candidate for a VBAC and told me a couple stories about women who have had VBACs. And I had to weigh the pro's and con's in my head, and it wasn't easy but ultimately it is a choice you have to make for your self. 

• Read ina mays guide to childbirth. I'm not even pregnant yet, but a friend gave it to me. Empowering book and I'm already sold on planning a vbac. It's a very pro home birth book, although I plan a hospital birth I still found it a great read. Basically just b/c your first birth ended the way it did does does NOT mean your second will. Congrats and best wishes as decide.
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"