May 2013 Moms

Lucy Elaine is here! PIP

Short Version:

Lucy Elaine was born on June 1st at 5:16pm weighing a whopping 10lbs 11oz and 21.5 inches long via unplanned c-section. 

Long Version:

I had been having painful contractions on and off for two weeks. They would get to be 5 minutes apart and then completely stop! I was 6 days overdue when my water broke at 11:30 Friday night, May 31st. I was laying in bed watching Hotel Hell with DH (we love Gordon Ramsay...) and I felt a warm gush. I thought I had peed myself (even thought I've read countless birth stories now - I should know you just don't pee yourself that much!) It was green with dark green/black solids so I knew it was my water and that there was meconium in it. I took a shower and we were on our way to the hospital!

I was admitted and checked - I was 1.5-2 cm. Things progressed a little slowly. I got a low dose of Pitocin and my contractions became stronger and closer together. I got an epidural at about 4 cm after about 12 hours of labor, and managed to get to 8 cm and 0 station after about 17 hours of labor -- but that was it! Things started to slow down and the nurses were unable to increase the Pitocin due to the baby's HR. Eventually, I began running a fever and the baby's HR shot up to 190 and stayed there. The doctor recommended a c-section because he suspected an infection from the meconium and baby being without the amniotic fluid for so long. After discussing with DH we agreed, and I was wheeled in and she was born at 5:16 p.m. weighing 10lb, 11oz!! Our growth scan at 37 weeks predicted a 8 - 8.5 lb baby! More proof that they are so wrong!

(One neat thing about the operation: baby's name is Lucy after The Beatles' song "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds." When my husband was brought into the OR and seated next to my head, my OB had put that song on his iPod in the room -- she was born while the song she was named for was playing!)

Unfortunately the infection had caused a few problems -- baby and I both had a fever, and DH went with baby to the nursery for an IV. My heartbeat began to show signs of arrhythmia, so I spent the night in ICU for observation. It was hard to be away from Lucy, harder than I could ever imagine. I truly am impressed by our NICU mommas who have to spend hours and days or weeks without touching or seeing their LOs. Babies are not allowed in the ICU to be with the mom, but my OB worked it out that she got to visit me twice in the night with my H since I was the only patient in there. I can't believe what a trooper my H was as well. He just proved to me what a wonderful man I have. He was there for me through it all and proved to be a great support and a great father.

We left the hospital after four days, after a round of antibiotics in LO and in me. Baby had to spend about nine hours under phototherapy for jaundice as well, and her color has improved. We're now home and enjoying our new family! I have never been so in love with such a little being so fast. 

Edit: Resize images 

Me: 32
DH: 35
DD #1: 6/1/2013
EDD #2: 6/7/2017
BabyFruit Ticker
Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

Re: Lucy Elaine is here! PIP

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"