August 2013 Moms
Options

Keeping Cats Out Of The Crib

Has anyone had success keeping their cats out of the crib without keeping them out of the room the crib is in?

My husband and I are cat people--we've got two, and they sleep in bed with us. We'd prefer for that to continue, but we're going to have the crib in our room for the first couple of months.  Obviously, we can't have cats in the crib. 

We are looking at crib tents, but I'd love to hear if anything has worked for anyone.
BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Keeping Cats Out Of The Crib

• Options

Some of it depends on the personality of the cats. Our cat sleeps with us, but has never, ever had any interest in sleeping in the crib with the baby. Before DS was born, I put some tin foil down in the bottom of the crib and left some foil pans in there so that if he jumped it would make a big noise. Scared the crap out of him once and he was DONE with the crib.

After DS showed up, he avoided the screamy loud thing of his own accord. No tent required.

Other cats are cuddlers, though (my mom has one of those) and will need more effort. 

• Options
    Our cats slept in the crib and cradle up until we brought the babies home. Super frustrating! We tried everything to keep them out. Newspaper, sticky tape, water bottle. Nothing worked. After we brought the baby home and put them in the crib the cats stayed away. I think the crying scared them away. Ever since we never had an issue
    Tara
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thankfully ours can no longer jump high enough to get in there! But from what I understand most are pretty afraid of baby noises which should help!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    You can also put tape across the top of the crib for a few days. It'll only take a day or two of them getting wrapped up in it before they learn!
    Joy

Proud mom to:

Cameron (Jan 11, 2000)
    Cassidy (May 5, 2005)
    Callen (August 23, 2013)

My heavenly angels
    ~Caleb~ Jan 21, 1999
    ~Carys~ April 29, 2011
  • Options
    We have 2 cats and are very much cat people. One of ours is very skittish and too big to jump very high so we had no worries about him. The other, on the other hand, is a cuddler. He did get in the crib with DS on occasion (while we were there). For the first month while DS slept in our room, we kept the door closed and the cats out whenever we were asleep or not there to supervise. Once DS moved to his crib in his room, we kept that door closed while he was in there and we weren't. We still keep his door closed now (he's 2). I'm not sure a tent would have helped and I think most have been recalled anyway.

BFP#1: 01/10, M/C 6w
    BFP#2: 06/10, M/C 5w
    BFP#3: 09/10, DS born June 1, 2011
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP#4: 07/12, M/C 5w3d
    BFP#5: 12/12, EDD 08/18/13
    Pregnancy Ticker

My Blog: Decorate This
  • Options

My SIL bought a crib tent. It was useless. 

Our cat loves the crib, but not when there's a crying baby around. He quit the crib as soon as DD arrived and didn't start using it again until it became a toddler bed. 

DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I am also having that problem! I have 2 and have found each of them in there after getting the crib a few weeks ago. My other problem is the changing pad. I have it on top of the dresser and one of my cats thinks its a bed or something, I have no idea how to keep her off. They are super curious about the room. I am going to try the tin foil I think! I am hoping once baby is there they will stay clear.
    image   image
  • Options
    We put a bunch of plastic shopping bags in ours and it kept him out. He hates those things. But I know some cats who love them...so that may not help you!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Thanks everyone.  I haven't done much research yet--so I didn't know that tents had been recalled.  Arrrrrgh.

I may go for the tape.  We've used it in other places with great success--but the cats are cuddlers, and I'm afraid they'll want to curl up with a warm baby.  

To make matters worse, one of the cats is deaf--he thinks tin foil is awesome. 

I know we may have to just close them out while we're sleeping, but I'm really hoping to avoid it. 

BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    How about balloons? Not helium, jut air filled so that when the cat jumps in, the balloons pop and scare them away.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I have 1 cat who has run of the house. As soon as I put the crib mattress down he was about to jump in there, we ended up putting balloons in the crib. He has thought about jumping but them he looks in the crib sees the balloons and changes his mind. Our cat is a rare one, he loves tape, foil and if there is any type of bag on the floor it becomes his home. I'm hoping he wont try to jump in the crib if he knows the baby is in there. 
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options
    dmwbqbdmwbqb member
    We keep the door to the nursery closed and will continue to keep it that way. When LO arrives and we have her in our room at night we will also shut our door.

Our cats generally don't sleep with us at night, but I wouldnt trust them in there when we werent awake to supervise. I plan to try to keep a lot of her furniture stuff crib, swing, bouncer, changing table, etc as free of cat hair as possible by not letting the cats on them at all! They won't be in her nursery at all.
  • Options
    We put some balloons in ours. Worked like a charm.
  • Options

We have two cats and worried about the same thing actually - we were considering a crib tent. I'm glad we never got one because once he was here, they really showed no interest in sleeping with him. They were scared of the crying, that's for sure, and really didn't show any interest in getting in that crib with him until he was probably 6 months old. At that point, we had to keep them out because it would wake him up. You might wait and see how much interest they have - depends on the temperament of the cat probably.

ETA: we also keep our door shut at night so the cats can't sleep with us - but now that you've set that precedent you probably won't be able to keep them out very easily.

• Options
    the netting you put over it just makes for a hammock for the cats. I would worry too much about that. 
    Eat your food people. You are pregnant, not made of glass. ~PrimRoseMama
    The Benes Boys were born 9/3/13! woooo
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"