October 2011 Moms
Options

Popcorn/acoustic texture on ceilings (update)

Popcorn/acoustic texture on ceilings

I really don't want to scrape all the popcorn texture off the ceilings in my whole house.  Is popcorn texture horrible?  Right now we are re-doing one of our bathrooms and we have to make the decision to re-spray the popcorn texture or change the ceilings in the whole house to knock down(heavy orange peel texture) or no texture, which is way too much work to make look perfect IMO.

What would you do, keep in mind you'd be doing all the work yourself.  Keep the popcorn in the whole house or re-do all the ceilings.  2600 sq ft house.   I'm a pro at spraying popcorn texture.

Update: ('cause it's sooo important)

We decided we are doing knock down in the upstairs (as we do each room) and we may keep the lower level with the popcorn texture...the living room will have a plank ceiling, like this:

siggy1-16-13_zpsbc591894 photo siggy1-16-13_zpsbc591894-1_zpscf1469c3.jpg

Re: Popcorn/acoustic texture on ceilings (update)

• Options
    Honestly, I would just make it match. The popcorn texture don't bother me, but my house still has it's orginal plaster and most walls are textured to hide all the imperfections. No way in hell would I want to scrape a 2600 sq ft house. We have some funky texture on our living ceiling, it looks like giant thumb prints, but we will never take out all the plaster and replace it with sheetrock.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    Personally I hate popcorn ceiling, but I'd just work with it and make it as presentable as possible. There's no way I'd redo all of the ceilings in the house unless there was something seriously wrong with them. Our kitchen, bedroom, and bathroom have a textured finish. It's not popcorn. More like sand. I hate it, but there are so many other projects we need to do that I'm willing to live with less than optimal ceilings. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I hate it. Our basement has it. Honestly, I'd rather have a drop ceiling down there. However, the amount of effort it takes to re do it isn't worth it to me. If the rest of the house has it I'd leave it.

When you say knock down do you mean drop down? I think they look weird anywhere but a basement. I don't really even like them in basements but around here if your basement was finished more than 5 years ago or you don't live in a high end house most likely that's what it is.
  • Options
    Gotcha. I've never heard of it. Interesting!
  • Options

Why does it have to match the rest of the house?  It's a bathroom.  The floor probably doesn't match the rest of the house, what's the difference?

• Options
    imageoverture:

Why does it have to match the rest of the house?  It's a bathroom.  The floor probably doesn't match the rest of the house, what's the difference?

It would drive me crazy!  

I still am debating doing it all in stages.  In about 3-4 years we are doing the big kitchen/dining remodel.  Walls are coming down.

This fall we start the laundry room remodel and next spring we are expanding the entry. 

A majority of the house will have work done in the coming years, if I'm not dead before then.

• Options

Textured ceilings don't bother me.  I'd leave it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

We decided we are doing knock down in the upstairs and we may keep the lower level the pop corn texture...the living room will have a plank ceiling, like this:

• Options
    I don't mind popcorn at all. We have flat, plaster ceilings and an older house. You can see every imperfection and small crack in the ceiling and it drives me nuts! I think popcorn might help camouflage some of those..or maybe any type of texture. If we weren't broke right now I'd have a lot of projects to do Sad.
  • Options

imageWoodsie:
    LOVE the plank ceiling! Want to come do mine, too? ;]

How does 2023 look? That's when I expect to be done here.

• Options
    The plank ceiling looks awesome!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"