International Bumpies

Possibly heading to Belgium at the end of the year

Hi ladies! I normally post on TTGP, but I was hoping this board would have some insight. I'm in the US currently, but we should find out in the next few months if we'll be headed to Belgium for 12-18 months for DH's job. We're also waiting to find out if we're going to be able to keep trying naturally or need to go straight to IVF. For now, I'm just trying to figure out a few basic things since there's not too much point in getting ahead of myself. 

For anyone that has worked with an RE there, did you need to go to an OB for a referral or can you just make the appointment with the RE directly? Also, do you know if they will accept the results of the testing done in the US or if they will want to retest anything? I've never lived outside of the US, I'm not sure what to expect for differences in the medical systems.

TIA! 

Me: IR-PCOS, elevated DHEAs, low progesterone, weak ovulation  DH: low volume, low T
SHG 5/10/13: both tubes blocked; HSG 6/28 = Left tube cleared! Right blocked.
BFP#1 7/20/13 EDD 3/30/14, m/c 8/19/13, D&E 8/21/13, Chromosomal results = normal, female
Lap & hysteroscopy scheduled for 10/31, right tube cleared, no endo found! ...Happy Halloween!
Cycle 14: Clomid (50)+ IUI = BFP! EDD 9/16/14~ Rowan Elizabeth born sleeping at 17w4d on 4/12/14 due to IC.
~There is no foot too small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world~
New RE June 2014. RPL b/w - negative. SIS looking for uterine/cervical abnormalities & Asherman's 6/10/14 - ALL CLEAR!  
Cycle 16: Natural IUI = CP, Cycle 17: Femara (2.5) + IUI = BFN, Cycle 18 Femara (5) + IUI = BFFN, Cycle 19: Break
Cycle 20: Clomid (50)+ IUI = BFP EDD 6/20, transvaginal cerclage 12/19, Carson Quinn born sleeping at 16w3d on 1/6/15 due to IC
Phone consult with Dr. Haney (Univ of Chicago) for transabdominal cercalge scheduled for 2/9/15.
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams."
image image imageimage 

Re: Possibly heading to Belgium at the end of the year

• Hey Becky! I remember when you joined TTGP. FX you end up in Belgium - I think it's a great place to spend a few years! Wink

Everything I'm about to say assumes you'll be using the Belgium medical system. (I'm not sure what's bringing you here, but armed forces generally have a difference medical system.)

If you join the Belgium medical system, you'll register with a mutuelle (the mutuelle here covers much more than standard insurance back home). As expats, you're employer often gives you additional coverage (we have something called DKV that covers 85% of whatever the mutuelle does not cover).

They definitely do fertility treatments differently here, so much of what you read on TTGP won't apply to the system here. BUT Belgium is known the world over for their success in infertility. You'll definitely be in good hands. I just read an article that said 80% of the births in Belgium to foreigners/expats.

They don't have REs here. Basically there are 1) gynos who do maternity (including basic fertility meds up to IUI) and 2) gynos who specialize in IVF. My high risk OBGYN does up to washed IUIs in her office (in coordination with the hospital at which she works). If that doesn't work after a few tries, she will refer you on to a fertility clinic which will want to move almost immediately to IVF.

I'm not sure if a regular doc/gyno here will accept your test results from the US. BUT I wouldn't worry too much about it. Initially we did: CD3 and 7DPO bw, transv ultrasound and a spermogram all for less than 100 Euros out of pocket (much less since we also have DKV).

They don't so as many of the invasive tests (HSG, etc) here, but you can definitely request it and it won't break the bank.

IUI with washed sperm will cost somewhere around 50 Euros using the Belgian national insurance with no limit to the number of times you can try. Each round of IVF will cost somewhere between 200-500 Euro with a limit of 6 times. (You can do more, but you'd have to pay the full price between 4,000-6,000 Euros.)

I'll send you a PM so we can email more if you'd like. Good luck to you and DH!

______________________________________________________________________________

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Trying to conceive #2
    Me: 36 - slight DOR (AMH: 1.1), decent OAR; DH: 41 - Morphology 4%
    NTNP July-Aug 2014, ATTC Sept 2014-Present
    October 2014 - CP
    July 2015 - Clomid + #1 IUI = BFN
    September 2015 - Clomid + #2 IUI = CP
    October 2015 - Letrozole (5 follies - yay!) + #3 IUI = BFN
    November 2015 - CP
    December 2015 - CP
    February 2016 - Letrozole + #4 IUI = CP
    April 2016 - CP
    May/June 2016 - IVF #1 and IUI #5 (Estrace + Follistim + micro-hCG + HGH) = BFN

Struggled to conceive #1 2012-2013
    Me: Chronic Pain Condition since 2009, DH: Slightly Abnormal SA
    Clomid #1: March 2013 - BFN; Clomid + IUI: May 2013 CXL; BFP on 4/22/13 = Baby Boy #1 1/1/14

• WOW! Thank you so much! I sent you a PM back!

Me: IR-PCOS, elevated DHEAs, low progesterone, weak ovulation  DH: low volume, low T
    SHG 5/10/13: both tubes blocked; HSG 6/28 = Left tube cleared! Right blocked.
    BFP#1 7/20/13 EDD 3/30/14, m/c 8/19/13, D&E 8/21/13, Chromosomal results = normal, female
    Lap & hysteroscopy scheduled for 10/31, right tube cleared, no endo found! ...Happy Halloween!
    Cycle 14: Clomid (50)+ IUI = BFP! EDD 9/16/14~ Rowan Elizabeth born sleeping at 17w4d on 4/12/14 due to IC.
    ~There is no foot too small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world~
    New RE June 2014. RPL b/w - negative. SIS looking for uterine/cervical abnormalities & Asherman's 6/10/14 - ALL CLEAR!  
    Cycle 16: Natural IUI = CP, Cycle 17: Femara (2.5) + IUI = BFN, Cycle 18 Femara (5) + IUI = BFFN, Cycle 19: Break
    Cycle 20: Clomid (50)+ IUI = BFP EDD 6/20, transvaginal cerclage 12/19, Carson Quinn born sleeping at 16w3d on 1/6/15 due to IC
    Phone consult with Dr. Haney (Univ of Chicago) for transabdominal cercalge scheduled for 2/9/15.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams."
    image image imageimage 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"