Georgia Babies

SO PISSED AT DAYCARE!!!

I am spitting mad right now. I just can't believe that once again we were not notified that our child needed medical attention. For those counting this is twice in 2 weeks. Dh picked B up today to discover that he had a raging case of pink eye. I dropped him off this morning and his eyes were fine. I called DC and they transferred me back to the teacher that was there all day. She proceeded to tell me that she was wiping goop out of his eyes since late morning and that she noticed they were red and puffy, but didn't call me b/c he was happy. Well guess what now he is miserable and it's hard for me to get him relief w/ the dr's office being closed.

I don't understand: 

1) WHY were we not called

2) WHY did you continue to allow him to play with other kids?!?!

So now by the time I got home he has a raging case of double pink eye and the pediatrician is closed. I was able to get a hold of the on call and they called in an RX but I am pissed b/c by tomorrow he could have had 24hrs of the drops under his belt. I don't know how much clearer I can make it that I DO NOT WANT MY CHILD SITTING AT DC IF HE IS SICK!!!! Am I wrong to be completely livid?  How do you allow a kid with pink eye to stay and play with the other kids?? How does it not strike you as odd that you are wiping green goop out of both of his eyes constantly?? I am on the wait list for primrose by my house. DC here is not a dime a dozen and this center has stellar reviews from parents and had not had any state violations. I am pretty upset. WWYD?

Colin Patrick-7/14/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers imageimageLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: SO PISSED AT DAYCARE!!!

• Ok, that's not cool. Benefit of the doubt the first time but not this time. WTH?! I would be having a major talk with the dorector today about their health policy. thats just not acceptable. my kids have had pneumonia and acted fine you dont ignore it! Could it just be that teacher or do you think its the whole center? also, ask your dr for other daycare suggestions. they may know someplace you havent found yet. Call Primrose again and ask again about wait list for his current age AND the next group. Just In case it takes that long. We've been so pleased at our Primrose and also when we used Goddard I hate to say it both those name brands really are worth it.

• I am really floored by this. Primrose has me on the WL for the 1 yr old room. They said they should have an opening by September. There is also a PRS less than 2 miles from my office that I am going to check out. It could be this particular teacher she was not the main teacher but she said she was there the whole day which confuses me bc then where was Amy, his main teacher? Everything else about this place is great but this raises a huge red flag for me. It just kills me bc it took me a long time when I was interviewing to research and select and all the parents in the area rave about this place. That being said a mom from C's class moved her daughter to PRS when she was 2 but told me she loved it for babies just not curriculum wise. Idk I am just really upset that this is the 2nd time this has occurred.
    Colin Patrick-7/14/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers imageimageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • It's been my experience that at Cason's school, they call and try to get the kid out of there as soon as they notice he/she is sick because they don't want it infecting the other kids, so it seems crazy to me that they didn't call you. I would probably be so angry I'd almost be in tears. I agree with above, one time is one thing, but when it keeps happening after you've talked to them about it, I would feel just like you do.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • care99care99 member
    I don't get that either.  Can you pull him out and get a nanny until you get in somewhere else?  I would not feel comfortable sending my kids somewhere where I was not notified immediately if they were sick or vice versa - sending my kids somewhere with other sick children all day.
  • Ok so the deal is that the Goddard school ere is lousy, at least the one that would be convenient is. PR has huge WL's at each location, which makes me feel like we shoul be ther but infant rooms are all full. B is not walking yet and still on baby food so I dont think he is ready for that room that PR has available. So what do I do leave him until a spot opens at the PR near my house, put him in the PR that has a young toddler space open which is near the current center and he could go ad early as weds? or leave it be for te summer so that he will be ready for the toddler space he is on the WL dor at the location down the street from my house? i really dont know what to do or what he isready for. Sorry if that was confusing.
  • That makes no sense to me at all.  If I even say the phrase pink eye, they shoo us out of there.

Look elsewhere and find a nanny for the interim.  

EDD 1/8/10 - our sweet sunshine DD born 12/30/09
    EDD 2/15/14 - Stillbirth at 21 wks 10/02/13
    EDD 8/12/15 - MMC 1/12/15
    EDD 12/24/15

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• K&P414K&P414 member
    I agree, that is completely unacceptable. It just shows such a major lack of judgement!
  • That's not cool at all. I'd be pissed too and I'd also be pissed if I was one of the other parents if they are allowing sick kids in class. If its a runny nose that's one thing but green goop coming out of eyes is not good. 
    BFP 12/23/07, M/C 1/25/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • What's the age range in the young toddler room? Is this the PR you really want him at? Or do you really want him at the one closer to home? He's pretty much 1 (insert crying) so he wouldn't be in the infant room much longer anyways. If they are willing to take him then I'd move him if its the center you really want. 
    BFP 12/23/07, M/C 1/25/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageDaisy22:
    What's the age range in the young toddler room? Is this the PR you really want him at? Or do you really want him at the one closer to home? He's pretty much 1 (insert crying) so he wouldn't be in the infant room much longer anyways. If they are willing to take him then I'd move him if its the center you really want. 

This.  I'd probably take him to the Primrose that has an opening now.  Set up a time for a tour and ask to go in that room and look around.  Talk to the teacher and describe where he is developmentally and explain the situation and see what the teacher/director there say.  I don't think they will do baby food in the 1 yr room though, so you may have to get him transitioned to table food quick.  If you want to switch him to the other Primrose later when they have an opening if its more convenient... then ok, no big deal.  I think they are fairly uniformly structured as far as daily schedules go so I don't think it would be a big deal transitioning from one Primrose to another- but they are all unique so I don't know.  I just don't understand them not calling about green goop in the eye... like the pp said, every daycare we have ever dealt with (4 total) have all been ADAMANT that the kids not be there if they are sick.  Runny nose and cough is one thing but pink eye and HFM are farily easy to identify and spread so easily that they call right away. 

• myrallmyrall member

imageslwprincess:
    Runny nose and cough is one thing but pink eye and HFM are farily easy to identify and spread so easily that they call right away. 

I hate to say this, but my daycare never caught Geneva's HFM. She had it twice and each time just presented like a diaper rash. I caught it from her both times, and it was only when I got it that I told THEM what it was. 

That said, my daycare calls me if Cecil even acts out-of-sorts. So I have no idea why they wouldn't call you if he had gunk running out of both his eyes. I'm echoing everyone's recommendations to find a different situation for him.

Lil' G was born April 25, 2008! Big C was born September 28, 2011! Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Ok so the PR school that can take him now is not the one that is close to the house but this one is 1/2 way between home and my office. I just worry that he is not developmentally where they would want him to be for the room they would put him in starts at 12 months. They are owned and directed by te same people though so I dot mind moving him. The one near my house expects to have an opening in sept.
    I am also questioning where he is bc when I called at 5:30 last night the director had gone home I spoke to the teacher and to the assist director person who mans the front desk ad the director has still not bothered to call me. I just do not know what to do and I don't have a nanny so he has to go back Monday.

• I would be pissed too.  That is unacceptable.  My DC calls us at the drop of a hat.  In fact one of the kids teachers texts me directly.

I think you need to look else where.  It sounds like the teacher could be overwhelmed.  He is just shy of one.  I don't think that is too far off for a 1 yr old class.  If not, he will learn really fast.  Lily is in that weird age gap where she is either the youngest or the oldest in her class because of her October birthday.  I actually like it when she is on the young end of her group.  She needs to be challenged.  It may work out that way for B as well.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I would be pissed.  To buy you some time if you can't find another d/c I'd go straight to the owner and bypass the director.  Any daycare is only as good as your child's teacher.  Doesn't matter the cost, reviews or brand name.  There are great teachers and some bad ones at great schools.  There was an issue at DD's school in Atlanta that I knew the director couldn't fix so I sent an email to the owner.  The owner met with me and the director and had the problem fixed extremely fast, and the assistant director was fired as a result.  The teachers, parents and director were thankful I spoke up.  Owners know their bread and butter is happy parents that give good reviews.
  • I am so angry for you!  This would be frustrating enough if it were the first strike, but the fact that this JUST happened is crazy to me.  As a teacher, when we know parents have expressed a specific concern we take extra caution to make sure we address that even more. We don't want to make the same mistake twice!  This should be standard procedure regardless, but I can't believe even after just talking to them they still did this. I agree with pp that the teacher is really at fault here.  She could have not said a word to anyone all day so they weren't aware either.  At our preschool the director (or whoever is running the front) walks around and is in and out of the rooms all day though. They are usually pretty good about noticing things too. I'm so sorry this happened to you late on a Friday when you can't resolve it better and have to be pissed all weekend. :(
    imageLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • That is completley unacceptable!  Our daycare the minute a fever hits over 100.4 you get a call.  And if there is goopy eyes, or anything on their sick list, they call and expect you to get your kid in 1 hour.  I am SO sorry hopefully you can get B switched out ASAP! 

• Just wanted to say I'm sorry that you are having to deal with all of this. I ditto everyone else's comments about looking elsewhere. It's hard to properly function at work when you are not 100% comfortable with your childcare. Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"