August 2013 Moms

OB suggests I start Zoloft at 36 weeks - long

*I posted this on the PPD Board, but I wanted to see if any of you have experience with this as well. I had my 30 week appointment this week and I was discussing my fear of getting PPD with my OB. I've suffered from anxiety and depression for many, many years (like since the 4th grade). I also have a strong family history of depression esp. with my Bipolar father. I have been  on Welbutrin XL for the majority of the last 10 years and have found it to be extremely helpful.When I got pregnant, I went off Welbutrin at my doctor's suggestion and tried Zoloft. It was during my first trimester, obviously, and the Zoloft made me feel even worse, so I didn't continue taking it. And for the most part, I've felt pretty good throughout my pregnancy.So, at the appointment this week, the OB expressed her concern and explained that I'm very high risk for getting PPD. She suggests I go back on Zoloft at 36 weeks so that it's in my system for awhile before I have the baby.  I know that I need to research this more and reach out to my GP, but I was wondering if any of you had heard of OB's suggesting this before? Or if perhaps you did or did not go this route?Thanks! 

Re: OB suggests I start Zoloft at 36 weeks - long

• Just wondering, did you let her know that the Zoloft didn't work well for you previously? Is there a reason she suggested that rather than the medication you were taking previously?
    Ezra James 08/22/2013  <3
    Nora Grace Due 12/26/2016  <3

Two Angel Babies 
    07/03/2012
    08/08/2015

"If you're still my small babe
    or you're all the way grown,
    my promise to you
    is you're never alone.
    You are my angel, my darling,
    my star...and my love will find you,
    wherever you are."
  • I work in a hospital and zoloft is our preferred ssri for treatment during pregnancy. Starting it before the baby is born isn't a bad idea since you seem to be at a higher risk for ppd and the drug will take at least 4 weeks if not longer to work. Of course, you know yourself better than anyone else so do your own research to weigh he risks and benefits. Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes, I did tell her. She said that I'll probably react better to it now that I'm in my 3rd tri vs. 1st. Also, I need to give my body more time to adjust to it in general. 

She suggests Zoloft over Welbutrin b/c it's been studied more.  

• I'm a psychiatric nurse and placing your placenta into a capsule and taking it for several weeks after birth is the most organic way to prevent and help with post partum depression.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Please take my experience with a grain of salt, but perhaps food for thought? 

I had been on antidepressants and medication for generalized anxiety disorder, (specifically Lexapro,) and when I got pregnant obviously stopped taking it. (Coming off Lexapro is AWFUL.) I was really stressed about PPD because I react very strongly to crazy hormone changes. I really truly believe some people need medication and I was definitely one of them before I had DD1.

But, I didn't go on anything throughout my pregnancy, because like you, I didn't feel bad, and I didn't go on them throughout my postpartum, or breastfeeding, or even since then. (24 months and counting.) And you know what? I didn't even get the baby blues that so many people experience. 

I know there is a sincere, deep, provable connection between PPD and prior experience with depression. For whatever reason, that didn't happen to me. Now, I still think you should talk to your GP your OB, get a second and third opinion, but I thought a tale of success with motherhood without medication from someone who really, legitimately had the same concerns and issues, might be helpful too.

• imageacarrino:
    I'm a psychiatric nurse and placing your placenta into a capsule and taking it for several weeks after birth is the most organic way to prevent and help with post partum depression.

Mobile thumbs up! I decided to do this and when I discussed it with my psych she was behind me 100 percent.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imageBellaOso:

Please take my experience with a grain of salt, but perhaps food for thought? 

I had been on antidepressants and medication for generalized anxiety disorder, (specifically Lexapro,) and when I got pregnant obviously stopped taking it. (Coming off Lexapro is AWFUL.) I was really stressed about PPD because I react very strongly to crazy hormone changes. I really truly believe some people need medication and I was definitely one of them before I had DD1.

But, I didn't go on anything throughout my pregnancy, because like you, I didn't feel bad, and I didn't go on them throughout my postpartum, or breastfeeding, or even since then. (24 months and counting.) And you know what? I didn't even get the baby blues that so many people experience. 

I know there is a sincere, deep, provable connection between PPD and prior experience with depression. For whatever reason, that didn't happen to me. Now, I still think you should talk to your GP your OB, get a second and third opinion, but I thought a tale of success with motherhood without medication from someone who really, legitimately had the same concerns and issues, might be helpful too.

I also had this similar experience. I did not have severe depression or lifelong depression, but it was something I struggled with since my early 30s. I took antidepressants for several years before becoming pregnant. I was on Celexa and heard about it being more of a risk in the third trimester, although the risks were small. I weaned off of it slowly over a 8 week period during my second trimester. I planned to go back on after the baby and I have been shocked that I haven't felt like I need it anymore. It has been about 18 months and I feel better than I have in a long, long time.

But you know yourself. Your mental health is number one. It is too hard to be a good mom when you are struggling every day. If I felt the need I would absolutely go back on.

As a sidenote, my friend has severe panic attacks and anxiety issues. Her gynecologist told her that if she wanted to take antidepressants during pregnancy, he would refuse to keep her as a patient.  Almost every doctor or case I have heard of, the doctor is ok when the benefit outweighs the risk. But he scared her so badly she is now thinking that she won't even have children. (She was about to start TTC)  I had to tell her I was on them for 7 months of my pregnancy and my daughter is fine, as are millions of women out there.

Layla 01.08.12

Chloe and Vivian 07.23.13

My Gang.  Halloween 2013

• My BFF has a long history of depression and anxiety and has also been on anti-depressants off and on since she was 15.  She was terrified she would get PPD and her doc was also concerned due to her history.

She has now had 2 babies and didn't have PPD with either.  And she didn't take any meds preventatively either.  So, it could go either way, I would say there is a good chance you may not develop it!  Esp if you and your doctor are closely monitoring it, I would think it might work to just wait and see after delivery.  Since you are so aware and in-tune, I would think if there is an issue you would catch it and be able to address it very quickly.

Nothing is more discouraging than unappreciated sarcasm. 
    AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers
  • I was on Paxil pre-pregnancy and switched to Lexapro as soon as I found out I was pregnant. It's actually one of the safer SSRIs for pregnancy. I can't imagine going through this pregnancy without any anxiety meds. I had the normal baby blues last time and think it could have easily turned into full blown PPA/PPD had I not been on meds. I highly suggest you ask about other antidepressants before re-starting one you know you've had a bad reaction to. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

• I had been off Zoloft for roughly three years prior to this baby. I had taken it through my last pregnancy and all  was fine with my LO and me. I went off of it probably 3 months after he was born. This time around during my first trimester my OB and I decided it would be best to go back on it, I was having a lot of depression(with the loss of my father and other anxiety things!). I have remained on a low dose and am so glad I have, I need it. My OB had actually mentioned upping my dose in 3rd trimester due to weight gain and my body needing more of it, this hasn't been the case yet. I am 31 weeks. As for PPD, if this is something you and your OB are worried about I don't see a reason to not take it. Good Luck! Know your not alone with taking meds while pregnant, you need to take care of your baby and YOU too!!
  • If your nervous about meds, try cognitive behavioral therapy. Go to www.abct.org to learn more about CBT.
  • Thank you for all of the input, ladies. 

I know I have a lot to research and consider, but it's good to know I have a sounding board and support from you all.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"