Health & Exercise
Options

New Here nutrition list

Hi girls

My DH and I found out on Sunday that we are expecting our first child still in shock, really. From what I can find online, it feels lik eating EVERYTHING is off limits for one reason or another.

Is there a comprehensive list of what I can and cannot have? Also, what's the deal with ice cream? I know soft serve is out, but am I allowed to go to Friendly's if I want or am I stuck with store bought? Although, some Friendlys flavore are sold in store

Any suggestions for sandwiches and things like that since deli meats are out too?

Thanks! So excited for our little one, but I want to make sure I do this right.
Dave and Kathleen - 09.12.09:
Partially Complex (my blog)

Re: New Here nutrition list

• Options
    Soft serve is out when pregnant?  Didn't know that.  Have you been to your doctor yet?  That'd probably be the best place to start as far as what you should and should not eat.  But it seems that you may be taking the recommendations a bit too literally.  I did, too...to a certain extent, but I got over that.  And if I couldn't get over that with certain things I either avoided or found a way to still enjoy it (i.e. with lunch meat I nuked it first).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

When I was preggo and started reading all of the don't for pregnant women my DH said that it sounded like they wanted me to live in a bubble and eat nothing but veggies...

That being said...I agree with PP, take a relaxed approach and you won't go crazy. I ate sushi, drank caffeine, ate cold cuts without nuking them, drank soda, had an occasional glass of wine and many other things that some people frown upon and I had a healthy happy baby. 

Hope you have a happy and healthy 9 months! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had two rules while i was pregnant. 1. Don't try new foods. In the event it made me sick, I knew i wouldn't want to try it again. 2. Baby will tell me if i shouldn't eat something. I agree with pp, I drank coffee, the occasional wine, I would have eaten sushi but the sushi chef at the Thai place we eat refused to make it for me till the baby was here.!
  • Options
    I didn't eat sushi, unpasteurized cheeses, and only ate seafood 2 times per week per my doctor. I didn't have any alcohol. Everything else I ate. A common thing I read was to heat up cold cuts, which I almost never did. Best thing to do is ask your doctor.
  • Options
    After two pregnancies, I can tell you what I did.

I rarely ate deli meat. I've never been a big fan and it's high in sodium. I didn't drink alcohol. I know some women had an occasional glass but I have never been a big drinker and it really wasn't hard for me to avoid. I exclusively pumped with my first for 13 months and I am pumping for my second, so I still have barely had any drinks. I ate ice cream. I ate safe fish. I drank a small cup of coffee most mornings, after the morning sickness left. I ate meats well done, lots of fruits, veggies, etc.

Talk with your provider and decide what's best for you.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"