Toddlers: 24 Months+

Potty training advice needed

DD1 is potty trained for number 1 but we are working on the seconded. Can anyone who has gotten them trained for number 2 tell me what they do. We are literally at our wits end with it. MIL suggested making her sit on the potty for 30 mins every hour but I feel that is a little much. She is not to the point where she is hiding the fact that she does it because she fears timeout from DH.

Re: Potty training advice needed

• Sit on the potty for 30 minutes?? Straight?? I can't imagine how I would get my 2 year old to do that...well without moving a TV into the bathroom and letting her eat all the cake and ice cream she wanted while sitting there. 

If you force her to sit on it for 30 minutes, she will likely hate the potty.  

I am all for putting a toddler on the potty on a regular interval, like every hour or every 30 minutes, but put them on, he/she tries to go for a few minutes, then they are done until the next interval.

One thing that may have helped us, was whenever DD did a #2 in her diaper, we immediately put her on the potty. She's still not 100% potty trained, so we will still do this, if we catch her going in her pull up, we race her off to the potty so she can finish and it's a great reminder to her for where she is supposed to do it. 

Wishing you the best of luck!

July 2015 Jan Siggy Challenge: Snow Fails/Funnies

BFP #5 11/15/14, Team Green EDD 7/22/15

BFP #4 4/30/13, baby girl born med-free Jan. 2014

BFP #3 9/24/12, Missed m/c at 9w1d (baby measured 8w5d)

BFP #2 9/23/10, healthy baby girl born med-free June 2011

BFP #1 5/21/10, Missed m/c at 10w4d (baby measured 8wks), D&C 6/29/10

"Life is like a camera, just focus on what's important and capture the good times, develop from the negatives and if things don't work out, just take another shot."

• having the same prob here...#1 no prob but he REFUSES #2 no amount of bribery will work either ha! We are getting desperate b/c if he doesnt wake up w/ one then we know its coming and he has been constipating himself b/c of it!! It has not been fun.....open to any suggestions as well. 
  • Loading the player...
  • erbearerbear member

Your MIL is an idiot.

You just have to wait it out. It's a weird feeling to poop on the toilet. She needs to do it once and see that it's going to be ok. So keep trying to catch her before/as she goes, then hold her hands and talk to her in case she's scared. Once she does it, she'll be fine. 

"Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies. God damn it, you've got to be kind." - Kurt Vonnegut
  • I'm confused...are you doing time-outs for not pooping on the potty? 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Make it a positive experience for her.  Don't sit her on the potty for 30 minutes - that's an awful idea.  Try and teach her to read her body and tell you when she needs to go.  Don't give her time-outs for not going or she will develop a negative connotation with going.  Try making her a sticker board.  Each time she goes, she gets to choose a sticker to go on the board.  After so many stickers, get her a little prize.
    Do not use pull ups or diapers at all or you are giving her a crutch to lean on.  Basically you need to give her no choice but to use the potty, but make it as positive as possible for her.
    Little Man 1.8.11
    Freshie Girl 9.29.12
  • #2 was hard for us, too.  DD would hold it in and cry and cry and then end up going in her underwear on accident.  It was awful.  We actually ended up resorting to rewards (aka bribery!).  DD gets a Dum Dum Sucker when she poops.  Worked instantly.  She is so excited to poop now, she talks about it all the time.  
    DD #1 Eva- April 2011
    DD #2 Violet- October 2013
    DD#3 Due New Year's Eve 2016

• Your husband is giving her a timeout for pooping somewhere other than the potty? That needs to stop.

Also, you MIL is wrong. The only thing you'll do with forcing her to sit on the potty is create a bad relationship with the potty.

We are hit and miss on poop right now. He HAS gone on the potty before and does it about 75% of the time, but still prefers to crouch under the table or run into his room for privacy. So basically if I'm not trailing him all day, he'll poop on the floor. I just have him help me clean and remind him that poop goes in the potty. When he does, we make a huge deal about it and give him a couple chocolate chips, which we stopped doing for pee about 3 days into PTing.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • There is no room for discipline in potty training.  EVER!!!!!
     Lilypie - (gu1R)
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

• Ignore your MIL and tell your husband to stop giving time-outs, all bad ideas!

Does your daughter have a certain place that she goes to when she poops?  Maybe you could move the potty there if you have a little potty.  When DD was still in diapers she would always go over by her Little People and poop.  She has only been potty trained a month or so, but every time she has to poop we bring the potty by the Little People and that's where she goes.  Maybe something like that?  Have you taken a diaper/underwear with poop and plopped it into the potty to show her that's where poop goes? 

• I've read, on this board I believe, that if you know she needs to poop, sprinkle some magic glitter in her potty to help her fears. Make a big deal about the glitter.

I also read to my son when he is pooping.
  • Leap08Leap08 member

Can you tell when she's going? Does she have a regular time of day that she does go? If you can tell, take her to the potty and have her sit on it. Even if she's already pooped, take her to the potty and have her sit on it. Clean out her underwear (in the toilet) while she's there (if she's still wearing pull-ups or diapers stop using them) and talk about how poop goes in the potty. Create a good reward system for successful trips and make sure that reward is really something that will motivate your child. I'd also try the magic glitter.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • When I've been at my wits' end with PTing DD2, it means something isn't working and I just need to step back because I'm trying to force something she isn't ready for. Many of the cues for readiness are something you can only follow, not lead. Punishment should not be involved in PTing -- you're setting yourself up to cause more problems than you solve. Making a kid help clean up their messes, sure, that can be part of the learning process. But not TOs or fear. 

DD2 has been pooping in the potty for awhile, but pee was just not clicking for her and resulted in a lot of accidents. We've tried on and off over the past six months, keeping things very positive -- but it just wasn't happening for her yet. So we put her back in diapers and kept encouraging/asking her to continue with pooping. She just didn't seem to "get" that she needed to get on the potty before she peed, not after/when she was already wet. 

Finally this week things clicked and now she's doing both and has only had like one accident, and I feel like we've reached the turning point for her. She is simultaneously staying dry/wanting to use the bathroom at night, too. Would I have liked it to happen earlier? Sure. But not at the cost of turning things negative or driving myself nuts. 

DD1, 1/5/2008 ~~~ DD2, 3/17/2010
  • olechkaolechka member
    bribery with gummy vitamins combined with cartoon on ipad while on the potty does it for us, terrible habbit but she was so constipated when she started holding it, watching cartoons relaxes her and she goes.
    imageNicole Hanna 11-23-2010
    Birthday
  • We used bribery, DD got a fish. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Lurking from Pgal...

We have been trying with our son for 6 months and he just didn't seem ready. Then, a couple weeks after i found out i am pregnant, he's a pro! Straight to underwear and a pamper at night. We really just tried to wait until he was ready and not force the issue too much. I actually have had him sit on the pot for long periods of time, which only work when he is watching tv, then as soon as i let him up he would have an accident. At that point i reinforced that he needs to pee and poop in the toilet and got him to agree. And when he did use the potty, we celebrated. I gave him treats every now and then, but he really gets off on being celebrated, lol. Once he was ready, he was potty trained in a week! Also, we purchased this nice cars potty that made noises and everything, but he gets more excited using the big toilet, lol. Try to have fun with it and give her lots of praise, she will come around!
  • I had the same problem with DS1. My grandmother bought him stickers and I grabbed them very excited and said "Do you know what these are? They're poop stickers!" LOL I explained to him the only way he could have them was when he pooped in the potty and that was it.... 6 months of trouble all over for stickers! So everyday, every time he pooped we marked it on a chart with his sticker. after about a month or so I gave him the rest of the stickers and told him to keep it up and the only problems we have now is I can't get him to stop peeing the bed. 
    Daisypath - (fpox)Lilypie - (cr8G)  Lilypie - (jTpT)Lilypie - (LZoT)
    Started Dating DH 09/03/2009 Married 07/01/2011 
    Surprise BFP 10/18/2008 EDD 06/19/2009 DS #1 Born 06/16/2009
    TTC #2 12/2010 BFP 05/15/2011 EDD 01/09/2012 DS #2 Born 01/11/2012
    DH adopted DS #1 06/25/2012
    TTC #3 06/2013 BFP 02/19/2014 EDD 10/30/2014 DS #3 Born 10/10/2014

• I'm not fond of the time out idea either nor am I fond of MIL's idea. My mother told me she would put books next to my little potty and I would sit there and read till I was done. I am just at my wits end with it. DH I think has issues with her because DD1 is from my past marriage and he doesn't know how to handle it. Granted from day one he has been the only father figure she has known since she was 15 months. He father lives on the opposite side of the country and I have a protection order against him so we don't talk. I wish I could get her to go potty when she is asleep at night on her own, instead of getting her up at 3:30 am when I take my meds. Thank You all for the ideas. Sorry it took me forever been really crazy lately.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"