School-Aged Children

It's that time of year: Teacher gift ideas needed!!!

O.k. so DD had a pretty "eh" teacher this year, o.k. I wasn't impressed with some of the things that went on this year...  ANYWAY, the teacher is also a nun who is going to be leaving before the last days of the school year to start her MS and to go to work at the Mother House's Infirmary.  She's not what I'd call a teacher over the top took the time to get to know and work with DD, so not thinking the over the top type gift...

Any ideas on what to get her??  Thursday afternoon they're having a class play and Friday is the teacher's last day (and they'll be going on a boat trip that day)...  I used to be licensed as a baker, so thought of doing a cake following proper kitchen procedure/state laws of course, but then there's that magical part of me that says "no way, don't want to do that level of work..."

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: It's that time of year: Teacher gift ideas needed!!!

• I'm a teacher, so I feel I can speak with authority about this.  I would FAR prefer a sincere email from a parent thanking me for a job well done than any sort of gift.  

A thank-you email with a cc: to the principal is even better.  

I would say, though, that my second favorite gift is home-baked goodies!  I will often give baked goods to teachers for Christmas.  Some teachers may be grossed out by getting homemade food from a parent.  Whatever.  They can throw it away if they feel that way.  I guarantee if I give a teacher a scented candle, it probably goes right in the trash. 

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • imageneverblushed:

I'm a teacher, so I feel I can speak with authority about this.  I would FAR prefer a sincere email from a parent thanking me for a job well done than any sort of gift.  

I would say, though, that my second favorite gift is home-baked goodies!  I will often give baked goods to teachers for Christmas.  Some teachers may be grossed out by getting homemade food from a parent.  Whatever.  They can throw it away if they feel that way.  I guarantee if I give a teacher a scented candle, it probably goes right in the trash. 

LOL - I also make beeswax candles.  Though the whole scented thing, I'm with you there - no way no how!!!  Scent is the fastest way to offend someone, and unless you know they love the smell of buttercup, it's just a bad idea!!!  But she's a nun, so there may be safety in church candle wax (i.e. beeswax - and naturally neutralizing)..  Might be an idea especially since I know there are other teachers who are excited to get them if she doesn't like it (since beeswax isn't exactly on the cheap end of candles)...

I'll probably email the teacher about cupcakes on Friday for their boat trip (Years ago I did a replica cake of one of their side-wheel paddleboats)..  That way it's more of a "class" gift, and an excuse to get out of it if she says "no"..

• Loading the player...
  • imageneverblushed:

I'm a teacher, so I feel I can speak with authority about this.  I would FAR prefer a sincere email from a parent thanking me for a job well done than any sort of gift.  

I teach as well and totally agree with the bold statements.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I ended up talking to the teacher who liked the cupcakes for the class idea (she just about jumped out of her habit to say an excited YES! - but mind you, she also knew I was licensed previously before becoming an AHM as well!)...  They were a HUGE hit and passed the "Best thing I ever ate" test by the kids from what DD told me..  I also did a "Blessings Sister ..." small 6" filled cake. 

The nun that is assigned as principal doesn't really belong in the position so my guess is she wouldn't care about any letters unless there was a check attached, plus the Sister isn't being assigned to any teaching jobs anytime soon.  Thankfully DD isn't returning to this school next year! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"