Preemies
Options

Adding feeds per day ?'s/vent

I have an IUGR baby who was delivered May 16 at 36 weeks, 5 days (3 lbs, 10 oz now up to 4 lbs, 6 oz).

She is up to full feed amount, but has been alternating her 8 feeds between bottles and the NG tube. Yesterday the doctor said that she wanted to up her feeds to 5 bottles per day, but the nurses are still doing every other feeding as a bottle! I asked, "how is she ever going to get up to 5 feeds per day, if they are always alternating?" but they look at me with alien eyes like I am making NO sense. 

What was the process like for adding bottles to your baby's daily routine? Is my brain shrinking from being in the NICU too much.... am I the one who just doesn't get it?

Why can't we just try to give her a bottle each feed, and see if she can handle it? What if she surprises everyone and can eat them all? How will we know if we never even try her? 

Maybe I'm just bummed b/c everytime I hint at asking when they think she can come home, the doctor looks at me like I'm an idiot for asking. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

Re: Adding feeds per day ?'s/vent

• Options
    What you are talking about is cue based feeding. That was our last step of our monthlong feeding journey! Once we were up to 4 bottles a day, our neo told the nurses to start doing cue based. They actually had a little chart that listed signs the baby needed to show and what the step would be, but the gist is that if she was awake and/or showing ANY signs of hunger (smacking lips, bringing hands to mouth, etc.) then we could attempt to oral feed, either breast or bottle. 

Our Angel Patricia born sleeping 3/30/12 at 31 weeks
    Our Fighter Anna born early 1/8/13 at 26 weeks
    Hoping to bring home #3 due 9/9/15
  • Options

The reason that they just don't let her try nippling each feed is because it uses up a lot of energy & calories, especially when they're first learning. That can affect weight gain. If the neo said she can go up to 5 oral feeds/3 NG feeds then just ask them the next day on rounds about putting that order in. The nurses can't just do it, the order has to be written & it sounds like that didn't happen. 

The feeding portion of most NICU journies feels like it takes forever because usually that is all that is keeping the baby there at that point. However, don't be surprised if you come in one day & they say she's ready to go. It tends to drag on & then all of the sudden they get it & they're ready to go! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    +ASH++ASH+ member
    It was explained to me that it was very much like running a marathon for her to take a bottle each time and struggle through it. It would have done more harm than good. It's hard, but just take it a day at a time. They always figure it out on their timetable - not the grown ups. 
    DS1 - 9; DS2 - 6; Angel - May 10, 2011; Baby Girl - Due May 19, 2013
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"