Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

7 month old solids

I had a friend tell me she gives her 7 month old raviolis and spaghettios.

She told me it helps her cut down on formula, and she adds rice cereal to help the formula last longer.

I know solids is okay at 7 months, but isnt this a little weird? Maybe its just me.

Re: 7 month old solids

• Options
    KisstyKissty member
    Thats not weird it's wrong.  Food before 1 is just for fun.  She should not replace formula with food.  Nor should she be adding rice to make it last longer.  Formula is still needed at that age.

imageimage 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    imageKissty:
    Thats not weird it's wrong.nbsp; Food before 1 is just for fun.nbsp; She should not replace formula with food.nbsp; Nor should she be adding rice to make it last longer.nbsp; Formula is still needed at that age.

This is what i was thinking. Im not planning on having solids as a replacement for formula for dd until a year.

I kind of worry ab her lo getting the right things. Im mailing them some things i didnt use, or dont need, but im sticking a can or two.of formula in there too.

She also told me she's been cutting the sleeves and pants on sleepers to make clothing for warmer weather, and i dont mean like a craft project either.
    I love her and im trying not to judge, but she has me worried.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would be worried also. Any baby under 1 year NEEDS formula as their main source of nutrients. And the "solids" she is feeding are plain wrong. A baby needs fruits and veggies or baby food from a jar. Not processed crap.

I think you are doing the right thing by sending her some things but I also think you need to have a discussion with her. I am sure it will be hard and her feelings might get hurt and she will think you are saying she is a bad mother but the health of that baby matters most.

Sorry if this seemed rude or unnecessary in any way. I'm sure you will do what you feel is best for your friend and her baby.

• Options
    KisstyKissty member

I too think you are doing the right thing by sending her some formula.  

I'll go out on a limb and say maybe she doesn't understand the mechanics of feeding solids at this age?  Maybe there is a way that you can have a casual conversation about solids with her.

It sounds like she may need some assistance.  I'm not sure what state your in but I'm sure there are programs to help.

Good luck.  I know talking to another Mom about their parenting isn't an easy thing to do.

imageimage 

• Options
    imageMeganS:
    I would be worried also. Any baby under 1 year NEEDS formula as their main source of nutrients. And the "solids" she is feeding are plain wrong. A baby needs fruits and veggies or baby food from a jar. Not processed crap.

I think you are doing the right thing by sending her some things but I also think you need to have a discussion with her. I am sure it will be hard and her feelings might get hurt and she will think you are saying she is a bad mother but the health of that baby matters most.

Sorry if this seemed rude or unnecessary in any way. I'm sure you will do what you feel is best for your friend and her baby.

I didnt find it rude at all. Im trying to think of a way to talk to her about it without insulting her. Im going to do some research and get some info from my pedi and then discuss this with her.

She is 17. She comes and goes from the house and makes bad choices for her daughter. So im hoping to encourage her in the right direction.

She has wic and state funded insurance, i understand her own mother and sister cant afford everything for this lo, but shes a little person and needs proper nutrition and clothing.
  • Options
    It's tottaly wrong! She could use some healthier choices 
  • Options
    imageKissty:
    I too think you are doing the right thing by sending her some formula.nbsp;nbsp;
    I'll go out on a limb and say maybe she doesn't understand the mechanics of feeding solids at this age?nbsp; Maybe there is a way that you can have a casual conversation about solids with her.
    It sounds like she may neednbsp;some assistance.nbsp; I'm not sure what state your in but I'm sure there are programs to help.
    Good luck.nbsp; I know talking to another Mom about their parenting isn't an easy thing to do.

Im going to gather info and talk to her, im also going to send her some things to give her besides processed crap.

I used to be into extreme couponing. Now i only use them for things i need, but im going to do what i can to help her out. Or send her coupons to help her.
  • Options
    KisstyKissty member

You mentioned that she is 17.  She probally needs some guidance.  There is no way that at 17 I would have been able to take care of a LO.  It makes a lot more sense now.  Hopefully she'll see you as a role model for good parenting.

imageimage 

• Options

imageKissty:
    Thats not weird it's wrong.  Food before 1 is just for fun.  She should not replace formula with food.  Nor should she be adding rice to make it last longer.  Formula is still needed at that age.

This. And even though the solids at this age are for fun and to introduce foods, they should be nutritious and healthy options.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    With my dd, she has purees twice a day, usually a vegi or fuit, but i hace and will not use it as a supplement for her formula.

my friend got herself pregbant on purpose when she was 16. Bc she wanted a baby, her friends had babies. This is while knowing her mom couldnt afford it. To me its a sad situation, and im trying to encourage her not just to take better care of her baby, but apply herself bc there is more help out there for young mothers.
  • Options

imageJdismybug1:
    imageMeganS:
    I would be worried also. Any baby under 1 year NEEDS formula as their main source of nutrients. And the "solids" she is feeding are plain wrong. A baby needs fruits and veggies or baby food from a jar. Not processed crap. I think you are doing the right thing by sending her some things but I also think you need to have a discussion with her. I am sure it will be hard and her feelings might get hurt and she will think you are saying she is a bad mother but the health of that baby matters most. Sorry if this seemed rude or unnecessary in any way. I'm sure you will do what you feel is best for your friend and her baby.
    I didnt find it rude at all. Im trying to think of a way to talk to her about it without insulting her. Im going to do some research and get some info from my pedi and then discuss this with her. She is 17. She comes and goes from the house and makes bad choices for her daughter. So im hoping to encourage her in the right direction. She has wic and state funded insurance, i understand her own mother and sister cant afford everything for this lo, but shes a little person and needs proper nutrition and clothing.

It is a sad situation, but with your heart and head in the right place, I think you could definitely make a difference. It is a wonderful idea to talk to your Pedi. I bet he/she would have some great ideas on how to bring up the subject in a good manner.

Good luck!

• Options
    I would say something! I'm sorry that is horrible. The amount of sodium and preservatives in that is wayyyy to much for a small baby.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"