Baby Showers

Charging Guests

Here's a great post about the new "trend" of charging kids to attend birthday parties.

https://thestir.cafemom.com/big_kid/156185/charging_kids_to_come_to

To everyone considering diaper showers, bring a card instead of a book showers, raffles of any kind, birthday pools (where the expectant Mom keeps half the money) etc etc....  Just don't.  The same arguments described in the blog apply to baby showers too. 

Re: Charging Guests

• OMG I can't believe some parents have the nerve to do that! 
  • Liz4444Liz4444 member
    Ugh, what's next... Bring your own cake?
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Ugh. So gross.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • People are so effing tacky.  Do what you can afford FFS.
    Anniversary 
  • while horribly tacky - I also wish people wouldn't GO.  That will keep people from doing this stuff.  "Oh- I tried to charge my guests and no one came???". 

Instead, they are saying "Oh- people came and had no problem with it!  Everyone had a great time!". 

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Gross! In what universe is that ever considered okay or acceptable?
  • WTH?!

• imageEastCoastBride:

while horribly tacky - I also wish people wouldn't GO.  That will keep people from doing this stuff.  "Oh- I tried to charge my guests and no one came???". 

Instead, they are saying "Oh- people came and had no problem with it!  Everyone had a great time!". 

You're so right.  I probably wouldn't go to something like this, but I'm also a person who refuses to go to Jack and Jill wedding showers where you have to buy a "ticket."  I'm from the Midwest and find this abhorrent, but apparently they're all the rage in New England.  WTF? 

Anniversary 
  • imageLiz4444:

I was invited to a potluck birthday party for a 3 year old recently. I was assigned to bring the cake. Um... no! I didn't go. I RSVP'd no in advance, so hopefully they got a cake some other way.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerLilypie First Birthday tickers

BFP 3/29/2014 2u2 Let's do this!

BabyFruit Ticker

photo crunchy_zps41233998.gif

• imageMommyKristin88:

imageLiz4444:

I was invited to a potluck birthday party for a 3 year old recently. I was assigned to bring the cake. Um... no! I didn't go. I RSVP'd no in advance, so hopefully they got a cake some other way.

Assigned to bring the CAKE!?!?!  I don't even know what to say to that. 
    ~Benjamin Franklin

• imageHappy_Yahoo_Personaler:
    imageEmpireceo:
    imageEastCoastBride:

while horribly tacky - I also wish people wouldn't GO.  That will keep people from doing this stuff.  "Oh- I tried to charge my guests and no one came???". 

You're so right.  I probably wouldn't go to something like this, but I'm also a person who refuses to go to Jack and Jill wedding showers where you have to buy a "ticket."  I'm from the Midwest and find this abhorrent, but apparently they're all the rage in New England.  WTF? 

I'm from New England and have never heard of this before! A ticket to enter? I sure as hell wouldn't go either!

Literally I've been invited to 4 of these in the past two years and people act like I'M the crazy one because I don't think their wedding shower is worthy of an entrance fee and a gift.  For one of these, I was only invited to the fundraiser party, the actual wedding was only for their 50 closest friends and family!  And multiple people told me I was being rude.  I need new New England friends, apparently. 

Anniversary 
  • imageEmpireceo:

Literally I've been invited to 4 of these in the past two years and people act like I'M the crazy one because I don't think their wedding shower is worthy of an entrance fee and a gift.  For one of these, I was only invited to the fundraiser party, the actual wedding was only for their 50 closest friends and family!  And multiple people told me I was being rude.  I need new New England friends, apparently. 

Tongue Tied To actually be called rude because you declined an invitation and don't want to spend YOUR money on their wedding? 

I really don't get some people.  

~Benjamin Franklin

• FemShepFemShep member
    imageEmpireceo:
    imageHappy_Yahoo_Personaler:
    imageEmpireceo:
    imageEastCoastBride:

I'm from New England and have never heard of this before! A ticket to enter? I sure as hell wouldn't go either!

I think you need new NE friends.  I live near Boston, and have never heard of such a thing.  I would be shocked, horrified, and offended if I was asked to purchase a ticket, or asked to attend a gift-giving event but not considered good enough for the wedding.  /smh 

• imageJoy2611:

I second this ^^^. What the what!?

image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
    photo s622_zps5a9557e5.jpg photo 7ed57166-3187-446e-8404-f2ef169fe40f_zps238c4d05.jpg photo s620_zps504f3ce2.jpg
  • Liz4444Liz4444 member
    imageMommyKristin88:

imageLiz4444:

oh dear lord... 

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• imageEastCoastBride:
    imageMommyKristin88:

imageLiz4444:

I don't think the parents wanted to purchase anything. The party was at their house, so that seemed like the extent of their contributions.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerLilypie First Birthday tickers

BFP 3/29/2014 2u2 Let's do this!

BabyFruit Ticker

photo crunchy_zps41233998.gif

• imageMommyKristin88:

imageLiz4444:

WHAT!?! 

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageMommyKristin88:
    imageEastCoastBride:
    imageMommyKristin88:

imageLiz4444:

I don't think the parents wanted to purchase anything. The party was at their house, so that seemed like the extent of their contributions.

OMG. I hope they got enough "no's" to have SOME realization that maybe this great idea wasn't going to work...
    ~Benjamin Franklin

• imagebaconface:
    imageEmpireceo:
    imageEastCoastBride:

Yeah, I'm from New England, too, and have never heard of this. It sounds more like a southern thing to me maybe

no no no no no not a Southern thing at all. I have never heard of it and have only been to weddings down here.

imageimage
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • LC122LC122 member
    imagecwm11985:
    imagebaconface:
    imageEmpireceo:
    imageEastCoastBride:

Yeah, I'm from New England, too, and have never heard of this. It sounds more like a southern thing to me maybe? 

no no no no no not a Southern thing at all. I have never heard of it and have only been to weddings down here.

Also a Southerner and have never heard of this.
    Can someone please explain what the Jack and Jill thing is or what that means?
  • imageJoy2611:
    imageLC122:
    imagecwm11985:
    imagebaconface:
    imageEmpireceo:
    imageEastCoastBride:

Yeah, I'm from New England, too, and have never heard of this. It sounds more like a southern thing to me maybe? 

Also a Southerner and have never heard of this.
    Can someone please explain what the Jack and Jill thing is or what that means?

Big party.  Includes people not invited to the wedding.  Host sells tickets to get in to the party and they provide some beer/snacks,  The party includes a bunch of games to help raise money for the couple.  All the money, including that which you won, is typically given to the couple at the end of the night.

::CRINGE::

Oh my, that sounds like a whole bunch of tacky.... I also hate anything where I'm expected to play a game and donate winnings. Just ask for a donation and skip the act.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

imageimage

• imageEmpireceo:
    imageEastCoastBride:

I am Midwest transplant into New England as well. I think its more of a certain "class" of people who like these. None of my friends would ever do this. We decline all of these when invited.
    together since 2006
    full time stepmom to SS1 and SS2 since 2010
    married since 2011

TTC since 7/2011 (no planned bc since 2008)
    HSG 11/2011: one blocked tube
    S/A 2/2012 and retest S/A 3/2012: normal
    Bloodwork: normal
    2nd HSG 5/2012: clear
    Femara cycle 5mg #1 7/14/12 + IUI #1 7/23/12 = bfn
    New RE appt 8/14/12
    IVF #1 meds 8/30/12. ER 9/14/2012: 7 retrieved, 6 fertilized. ET 9/19/12: 1 perfect embryo 5dt.
    Beta #1 BFP! 97
    Beta #2 234
    Beta #3 4937
    ultrasound #1 heart beat 127
    10/20/12 graduated!!!
    EDD 6/7/12
    Team PINK!!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

BabyFruit Ticker
  • What an awful thing! If you can't afford to throw your kid a party, don't. It's not up to your kid's friends' parents to host your bash.

Just as concerning to me was the one commenter who dubbed it rude for a guest not to bring a gift, considering she spent money on them for food and entertainment. Again, it is not your guests' responsibility to help you break even on a party you chose to throw for your kid. That's right on up there with expecting wedding guests to give a gift of the same monetary value as their dinner at the reception. SMH. I just don't get it.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"