One & Done: Only child

OND House Size

Besides the fact that having multiples, it takes time, money and energy. I've also thought that our small 3 bedroom ranch would be tight with 2 kids. No guarantee that they'd share a room for long or ever. DH is in school right now and he needs the 3rd bedroom for homework/his space... I seriously think if we added to our family we would need to move or add an edition to the house. Just thinking of other things people have to trade in/modify to add to their family. Do you think of the long term such as, "If we were able to stay in the first house we bought we could have it paid off by now." Also, "We could be retired by now." We have worked hard to get where we are (haven't we all?) and I don't want to make things even harder.

I don't know why I feel like I have to justify this decision, but that's the sort of thing that runs through my head... often!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: OND House Size

• I had someone ask me when we were having another baby and I told them when they buy us a bigger house.
  • Yea, really! They can volunteer to come clean it too :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Also, I am so upside down on my house that I couldn't sell it if I wanted to. Luckily, I love my small house and huge backyard.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Ms.JadeMs.Jade member

I'm right there with ya. We have a very small house at 850 sq. ft. but with lots of yard so we could add on if we wanted to. But we did a 15 year mortgage which is a big deal and not really done by people my age in this area. We live in a really nice quiet suburb of Los Angeles and most people in their early 30s can't afford to buy and do a 15 year. I have no shame saying we paid $300k for this TINY house in this really HCOL area. But we love LA and our families are both within 5 miles, we grew up nearby, and my job is Los Angeles based. I can't imagine living anywhere else.

The good news is our house will be paid off when we're 47! That's a big deal for me. And that's if we don't take our more loans to add on for another baby. Being able to free up the money we pay to our mortgage while E is still in HS is HUGE for us. It will make affording college easier, we'll be able to travel and retire earlier if we want. It's all worth it to me!

• We do want to move closer to work as DH and I now work at the same place. Funny that we're currently commuting 45 min. - 1 hr. each way. (We don't usually commute together though.) I wish we could pick up our 3 bed/ 1 bath 1100 sq. ft. house and move it to our neighboring city where work is! For now we need to stay in our house for at least a few more years so that we at least break even on the deal. Fortunately we don't HAVE to move, but it would be nice when the time is right.

My ideal house would be 3 bed/2 bath, living room plus den/bonus room (i.e. man cave.) 

• We have a pretty small house also. I like it, low maintenance and we will have our mortgage paid off sooner then our friends with much larger houses. I look forward to not having that payment every month and being able to use that money for travel!
  • KL777KL777 member
    I can totally relate! We have a smaller size home as well. DH and I just remodeled our living room ourselves and it turned out great. We let DS "help" . Our home would definitely be too tight for my comfort if we went from a family size of three to four.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

• Well idont justify my decisions really...not sure if we are one and done but leaning towards it! 3br is quite big. we have a 1300sq 3br/2.5 ba TH and basement with guess room and are ok.

Project turn man cave into man/cave playroom is happening next month:) 

• We are the opposite. We just bought a new house in December, 4 bed/3.5 bath with a finished basement. What I like the best is that DD basically has her own little wing upstairs - bedroom, playroom (that will eventually be her study room), bathroom. We have our master suite and an office upstairs also (I use the office to run my side job - I am a consultant with a direct sales company besides my full time job). The basement will eventually be the man-cave/bar/home theatre. :)

The real reason we bought this house though is because the neighborhood is like a modern day Leave it to Beaver! There are kids in every house and no fences so on the evenings/weekends we can just look outside and see kids playing and running through the yards! It's awesome.

A+S | Met 8/24/06 | Married 9/27/08
    Started TTC 12/2008 | dx PCOS 5/2009
    6 failed clomid/femara/TI cycles, 1 failed clomid/ovidrel/IUI cycle
    Successful Cycle: 5/12/11 - 1000mg Metformin + 100mg Clomid(late response) + TI = BFP

2/13/12 - We proudly welcomed our daughter, Hadley Teresa!
    Lots of Luck to all of 3T/IF

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

www.MyVacationCountdown.com Ticker

• My situation is a little unique to this board as I have two SSs as well.  They are 19 and 17.  Our house is a little crowded at the moment.  It works great with one child (when we only had SS1 it was fine).  We have a five bedroom/three bathroom house.  SS1 is in the finished basement.  I think once we get SS2 down there as well it will be much better.  We can confine all their teenage boy things to one floor (unused by us).  We are going to add a bathroom for them as well.

DH wants very much to get a larger house now.  We have such a short time left with the boys that I don't want to do it.  I want to pay this off.  I want to be comfortable which is why I agreed to be OND with LO.  We enjoy dinners out, vacations, etc.  I told DH that if we have a larger house after the boys move away, we will need to have another baby.  DH is 100% done after LO.  Thus, we are still here. 

together since 2006
    full time stepmom to SS1 and SS2 since 2010
    married since 2011

TTC since 7/2011 (no planned bc since 2008)
    HSG 11/2011: one blocked tube
    S/A 2/2012 and retest S/A 3/2012: normal
    Bloodwork: normal
    2nd HSG 5/2012: clear
    Femara cycle 5mg #1 7/14/12 + IUI #1 7/23/12 = bfn
    New RE appt 8/14/12
    IVF #1 meds 8/30/12. ER 9/14/2012: 7 retrieved, 6 fertilized. ET 9/19/12: 1 perfect embryo 5dt.
    Beta #1 BFP! 97
    Beta #2 234
    Beta #3 4937
    ultrasound #1 heart beat 127
    10/20/12 graduated!!!
    EDD 6/7/12
    Team PINK!!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards