Baby Names

opinions on Finley

I really love the name Finley for a girl and it is my top girl choice right now.  I added it to name voting the other day and am getting mostly no votes on all combos I put it with:

Finley Anne

Finley Grace

Finley Rae

I am not sure if people just don't like the name Finley, or don't like my combinations.  Anne and Rae are family names I thought went well.

For boys I am less set, but like Quinn or Brennan.

Thoughts?  Our last name is 3 syllable and starts with an M so I am trying to keep it somewhat short.  We have a daughter Addison, who we always call Addie.

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: opinions on Finley

• I don't personally like it-- it's way too trendy for me.

Of the 3 name combos, I would probably go with Finley Anne.

I like your boys names, though. 

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• Really dislike it on a girl- it is a straight up male name to me. I had never even heard of people using it on girls before TB. I like Brennan a lot for a boy. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
    VOTE on my Name List
  • Loading the player...
  • TheWopTheWop member
    I don't like it. At all.  Sorry!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • NMS, sorry. As PP said, if you do choose it, go for a feminine MN to balance it out.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I guess it's not that popular around where I live. I have known one Finley and that was quite a few years ago. I like the name even though it's not the top of my list. I'd go with Finley Grace.

• Thanks for the honest opinions.  This explains the voting a little more.  I guess I am a little pulled towards boy sounding names for girls for some reason, I just like it.  Perhaps I should have some other options though :) 

My husband doesn't want any forms of Finn for a boy, so not going to work to use it there.  I thought the boy names were what I was having trouble with... 

• I have a Finley, she is 5 1/2 and Her middle name is Belle.

warning though you will get lots of flack for naming your girl a boy name on here. Honestly when I named my daughter this I had never heard the name before, on a boy or girl. I just heard the name and fell in love with it for a girl. I of course say go for it.

Mama to 3 Beautiful babes ages 1, 3 and 5. ttc #4. Finley Belle, Ezra Bennett and Josephine Pearl.
  • imageMulhollem42:
    Thanks for the honest opinions.nbsp; This explains the voting a little more.nbsp; I guess I am a little pulled towards boy sounding names for girls for some reason, I just like it.nbsp; Perhaps I should have some other options though :nbsp; My husband doesn't want any forms of Finn for a boy, so not going to work to use it there.nbsp; I thought the boy names were what I was having trouble with...nbsp;

What about other unisex names? Cameron/Kamryn, Dakota, Jordan, Taylor, Jessie/Jesse, Riley, Presley, Sam[antha], etc.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I know a woman with a child named Finley Rae and it took me 5 months of her mentioning the child to realize it's a girl.  It's trendy and not very feminine in my opinion.
    Anniversary 
  • I don't like Finley on a girl, I like it as a boy's name.  I like the name Quinn for a boy.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Taylor is the other name my husband would go for.  I really like Riley, and Cameron as well, but we have friends with those names. 

• I would guess that Finley was a boy if I saw the name on my attendance sheet.

The only kids I know named Quinn and Brennan are girls. 

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • It's too trendy to me - not a fan. I also think it is too cutesy and clashes with Addie. I love Quinn for your boy name though (love hearing it for a boy). 
  • I like it. I like the modernity of the first name, and Anne seems to go well with it. I also love Anne of Green Gables, so that might help :)
  • I totally thought this was a boy post when I saw Finley, Quinn, and Brennan...

l'd keep. Looking 

• Soap1Soap1 member
    I'm in the minority it seems, but I don't dislike it for a girl.

• imageneverblushed:

I would guess that Finley was a boy if I saw the name on my attendance sheet.

The only kids I know named Quinn and Brennan are girls. 

Do you mean Brenna as a girl?  I have never heard Brennan for a girl.

• Cat&SCat&S member
    IME, Finley is fine for a girl. I know a five year old female Finley, and the name is cute on her.

I have heard both Brennan and Quinn on girls, also.

Pregnancy Ticker

Zoe Nicole: 8/21/14

Due again: 1/17/18

• Finley is a boys name. I think it would be awful on a girl. What about Kinley or Kinsley instead?

• Finley is too random surnamey for me. I was going to suggest Phineas instead as a way to get the NN Fin. But then read that you want to use this for a daughter.

Ramona Grace

Rayna/Raina Grace

Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • imagemj.reilly:
    I can't stand Finley on a girl. It is a boy name and always will be to me. I see nothing feminine about it (and no, -ley does not automatically mean feminine--hello Bradley, Stanley, etc.). I just don't get it, sorry. I will never be fan of boy/unisex names on girls.

this to a T.  You are my hero. 

• Finley is more of a last name to me.

imageimageimage

Trying to get knocked up since June 2012 ~ Dx: PCOS

BFP 7.24.13 ~ EDD 4.2.14 ~ m/c  9.16.13 @ 11w4d

BFP 5.4.14 ~ EDD 1.12.15 ~ stick little bean!

TTGP 2013 Best Blog ~ Fruit ~ My BFP Chart 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"