June 2013 Moms
Options

CMV Awareness Month

June is Cytomegalovirus (CMV) Awareness Month.

If you've never heard about CMV, I suggest checking out the link below.

https://www.stopcmv.org/about_cmv

Unfortunately, my cousin's son contracted this virus while his mother was pregnant with him last year. She contracted it for the first time while pregnant with him and it was passed on to him. He suffers from seizures daily, has a small head/small brain (Microcephaly), and will have severe learning and physical disabilities. He will be a year-old next month.

I had never heard of this virus until my cousin's baby was diagnosed earlier this year. Apparently it is very common, but a lot of people are uneducated about it.

I don't want to scare anyone, I just want to inform people.

Re: CMV Awareness Month

• Options
    A man I used to work with has a 3 year old with CMV. She doesn't have as many problems as your cousin's baby, but I know she does have hearing problems. It's so sad! I hadn't heard about it until she was born either, so I thank you for posting this to inform others!!
    Married 3/24/12
    #1 Born 6/14/13
    #2 Due 11/1/16

• Options

imageMrsAuby:
    A man I used to work with has a 3 year old with CMV. She doesn't have as many problems as your cousin's baby, but I know she does have hearing problems. It's so sad! I hadn't heard about it until she was born either, so I thank you for posting this to inform others!!

It is sad. I guess it varies from baby to baby. My heart breaks for my cousin and his family.

The site said that a vaccine could be available in the next 10-20 years. I hope it will be available a lot sooner!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    right before i found out i was pregnant i took care of a patient that had this for about two weeks.  I was very concerned and had them test me for it, lucky it came back negative.  I wish more people knew the risk
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"