1st Trimester
Options

provera

hi everybody, i had my 3rd scan today n i am currently 8 wks n 5 days. the dr sed he wants to start me on vaginal provera tomorrow. the infomation iv reed about this seems to be a pregnancy pervention? im unsure about this,has anybody else been perscribed this?

Re: provera

• Options
    imagekyson08:
    hi everybody, i had my 3rd scan today n i am currently 8 wks n 5 days. the dr sed he wants to start me on vaginal provera tomorrow. the infomation iv reed about this seems to be a pregnancy pervention? im unsure about this,has anybody else been perscribed this?

Wait did he mean progesterone? Provera is used to jump start periods. If you are having a normal, healthy pregnancy there should be no reason to take provera at all.

Why didn't you ask your doctor what he was prescribing you and why?

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    no it was provera, iv had two miscarriages within 6 mnths at 18 weeks n i did ask n he sed prevention of miscarriage bt wt i hav reed does not suggest this
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagePrimRoseMama:
    imagekyson08:
    Wait did he mean progesterone? Provera is used to jump start periods. If you are having a normal, healthy pregnancy there should be no reason to take provera at all. Why didn't you ask your doctor what he was prescribing you and why?

This all the way. If you're pregnant and everything is healthy, definitely DO NOT take it until you discuss this further with your doctor if he truly did prescribe Provera. It is used to jump start your period, and if you're pregnant you obviously don't want that to happen. Please call your doctor as soon as you can. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Wedding Countdown Ticker

imageimageimage
  • Options
    imagekyson08:
    no it was provera, iv had two miscarriages within 6 mnths at 18 weeks n i did ask n he sed prevention of miscarriage bt wt i hav reed does not suggest this

Ok first, I have a really hard time reading what you are trying to say. I'm trying to help you, so can you please take the time to type out your words fully? Text speak is frustrating.

Second, are you currently pregnant? Is the pregnancy healthy by all accounts? Then Provera should be the LAST thing you should take.

Lastly, I would get a new doctor first thing in the morning. This guy sounds like a complete quack. There is no pill that can prevent miscarriage. Progesterone suppositories in the vagina can help some but if you are going to miscarry then progesterone will only delay the inevitable.

I have a really hard time believing that a licensed OB with any training would prescribe Provera to a pregnant woman.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• Options
    i dont mean to seem harsh but i know what i heard and so does my partner, i know it was provera he said because it was the 3rd time i have heard it since my last miscarriage in january. yes i am currently 8 weeks and 5 days pregnant, the infomation i've reed has told what you have said and i am having a hard time beleiving that what they want me to go on too
  • Options
    Don't flame me!
    I was recently discussing medications with a friend of mine who like me, has experienced many miscarriages. She told me with her rainbow baby she was prescribed provera during her second trimester.
    I don't know what provera is or what it is primarily used to treat. I just remember provera because I wrote t down to ask my doctor if it is something we should try.
    Rainbow Baby born 12/14/13

• Options
    imagekyson08:
    i dont mean to seem harsh but i know what i heard and so does my partner, i know it was provera he said because it was the 3rd time i have heard it since my last miscarriage in january. yes i am currently 8 weeks and 5 days pregnant, the infomation i've reed has told what you have said and i am having a hard time beleiving that what they want me to go on too

imagekyson08:

I would ask your doctor to explain in great detail. Like Cole suggested, maybe get a second opinion? I've had 2 miscarriages and my doctor never tried to get me to take Provera to "prevent" another.

I did do some research this evening and found the following:

"Medroxyprogesterone acetate or progesteronelike drugs have been used to prevent miscarriage in the first few months of pregnancy. No adequate evidence is available to show that they are effective for this purpose. Furthermore, most cases of early miscarriage are due to causes which could not be helped by these drugs.

There is an increased risk of minor birth defects in children whose mothers take this drug during the first 4 months of pregnancy. Several reports suggest an association between mothers who take these drugs in the first trimester of pregnancy and genital abnormalities in male and female babies. The risk to the male baby is the possibility of being born with a condition in which the opening of the penis is on the underside rather than the tip of the penis hypospadias. Hypospadias occurs in about 5 to 8 per 1,000 male births and is about doubled with exposure to these drugs. There is not enough information to quantify the risk to exposed female fetuses, but enlargement of the clitoris and fusion of the labia may occur, although rarely..."

Source here:
    https://www.healthscience.com/provera.html

"Provera is perfectly safe for use during pregnancy. Doctors use Provera to help prevent miscarriage in early pregnancy and it is usually taken until 12 weeks gestation, when it is stopped because the placenta has formed and the placenta produces enough progesterone to maintain the pregnancy. Years ago, before they had the modern monoclonic pregnancy tests, they used Provera as a pregnancy test.

If you did not bleed, you were pregnant. If you bled, you were not pregnant. Provera will cause you to get your period if you have missed your period due to hormonal imbalance. Provera will also stop your bleeding if you have some dysfunctional uterine bleeding twice a day for five days. During pregnancy, Provera does not cause bleeding. Provera definitely does NOT cause a miscarriage."

Source here:
    https://wiki.answers.com/Q/Can_taking_oral_provera_cause_a_miscarriagepage1

Definitely ask your doctor and weigh the risks. Ask him to go over it in great deal and explain why he thinks it would be best for you.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• Options

First of all, as I am sure you know, never take medical advice from strangers on the internet. While many women here have valuable anecdotal information, that cannot compete with what your doctor tells you. It is his job to answer any questions or concerns you have about this medication. If you aren't satisfied after speaking with him again, it's never a bad idea to get a second opinion.

I was on Provera right before I found out I was pregnant. I called concerned when I got a positive HPT result after taking the medicine because I was worried that this would have harmful side effects on the baby. It seems logical that it would considering the medicine is meant to induce a period. However, the doctor explained that it would not harm my baby and that it is sometimes even prescribed to women to avoid miscarriage or to women who are breastfeeding. I don't know more than that, but sounds like your doctor is not necessarily a "quack". I agree that it's important to discuss pros and cons and be confident about anything you take before you do it. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"