Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Sounding out letters

DD can make the sound of a handful of letters if you show her the letter. A co-worker didn't believe me and said DD was too young to be able to do this. I don't think it is that out of the ordinary and just wanted to see if anybody else has a LO sounding out letters.

My Chart

My Life

BFP 7.7.09 - CVS 9.10.09 (Girl) - 9.24.09 Severe Fatal Malformation - D&E 10.7.09 @ 17wks
BFP 6.1.10 - 6.10.10 Ectopic M/C @ 5wks
BFP 10.26.10 - 10.29.10 CP
BFP 1.30.11 - CVS 3.28.11 (Girl) - EDD 10.11.11 - Born 10.6.11
BFP 12.18.12 - 12.20.12 CP
BFP 3.18.13 - CVS 5.21.13 (Girl) - EDD 12.2.13 - Born 11.24.13
BFP 6.10.14 - CVS 7.2.14 (Girl) - EDD 1.12.15 - Born sleeping 8.6.14 @ 17w5d

Re: Sounding out letters

• DD could sound out a few letters before 2 and knew most of their sounds by 2 1/2.  She had no interest in learning colors, counting, learning the actual alphabet until much later.  Shortly after 2 she was sounding out words on signs.  Letter sounds was just something she has had an interest in for a long time.       
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My LO has known sounds for a handful of letters (and can name the letters when he sees them written) since 15 months or so. The ones he knows are:A,B,D,F,L,M,P,S, and T. Some kids are just more interested in that at a young age! Doesn't really mean anything, though. :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

February 2011- M/C
    March 2011- BFP resulting in... 12/2011 bouncing baby boy! 
    October 2013- BFP- M/C
  • Loading the player...
  • It's no different than looking at a picture of a horse or a circle and naming it appropriately. It's just naming an object, essentially - rote memorization, but not reading.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • What do you mean by "sounding out"? Do you mean that she just recognizes them, or that she knows the letter and the sound it makes? ("B says 'buh'" etc)

I started working on letters with DS just for something to do, and he can recognize a few consistently. When we sit down to color, I sing the alphabet as I write out the letters, and I write his name. He's just learned to recognize letters that way. It's not something I push, but he enjoys it.

• imageladybugpjb:

What do you mean by "sounding out"? Do you mean that she just recognizes them, or that she knows the letter and the sound it makes? ("B says 'buh'" etc)

This. I can show her the letter and she will either say the letter or the sound it makes.

I don't think it is that different than what a PP said, it is like anything else she sees, she recognizes a picture of a turtle and can say turtle, she sees a purple marker and says purple, she recognizes the letter P and will say "puh, puh, puh", etc.

I know she isn't "reading" and I don't push her or sit there and practice. She has alphabet books that she will hand me and we will read together on some nights but honestly, she started to be into letters a couple of months ago on her own.

My co-worker thinks DD is too young for this so I filmed it over the weekend. I just wanted to let her know that it isn't that out of the ordinary but I think she is comparing her LO to mine.

My Chart

My Life

BFP 7.7.09 - CVS 9.10.09 (Girl) - 9.24.09 Severe Fatal Malformation - D&E 10.7.09 @ 17wks
  • My son recognizes the letter "I"

of course, if you hold up any other letter and ask what letter it is, he'll respond "I"

June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagechardonnay24:
    It's no different than looking at a picture of a horse or a circle and naming it appropriately. It's just naming an object, essentially - rote memorization, but not reading.

Yes, this exactly!

My DS knows B, E, O, P, T, and Y in the same way he knows dog, cat, bunny, monkey, etc.

• imageKimbus22:
    imageVeilSdeGTO:

My co-worker thinks DD is too young for this so I filmed it over the weekend. I just wanted to let her know that it isn't that out of the ordinary but I think she is comparing her LO to mine.

Just let it go.  Don't show her film and say "See!  I told you my kid can do it!".  That just makes you come across as condescending and like YOU'RE the one making comparisons and bragging about your kid.

You know your kid does it.  The coworker doesn't believe you.  Big deal.  So what?  Let it go!

I had no intentions of showing her the video. I guess my response did come off that way. It wasn't made as proof to show her but because it crossed my mind that I should just capture the moment anyways.

My Chart

My Life

• imageVeilSdeGTO:
    imageKimbus22:
    imageVeilSdeGTO:

Just let it go.  Don't show her film and say "See!  I told you my kid can do it!".  That just makes you come across as condescending and like YOU'RE the one making comparisons and bragging about your kid.

You know your kid does it.  The coworker doesn't believe you.  Big deal.  So what?  Let it go!

I had no intentions of showing her the video. I guess my response did come off that way. It wasn't made as proof to show her but because it crossed my mind that I should just capture the moment anyways.

I'm glad you aren't intending to show her the video. As a parent of someone who's kid is on the other end of the spectrum verbally (zero words at 20 months), seeing something like that would be so hard.  Good call capturing it for yourself though.

I agree with what the others said, that it's along the same lines as knowing how to ID a cat or dog.  Good for her though!

BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11

BFP#4 8.27.13 (EDD 5.6.14) DD born 4.23.14

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

• I think it's odd that she would outright say - I don't believe you. Even if she thought that you were exaggerating/whatever, it's pretty rude to basically call someone a liar.

Anyhow - my LO knows most his alphabet letters and some of their sounds. But ditto PPs that it's similar to knowing cow or duck and their sounds. Just because he knows a horse and that it says neigh I'm not signing him up for the gifted program lol.

So yea, totally normal/possible. And your coworker is rude. 

imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"