Working Moms

blw & daycare

anyone try baby led weaning with a LO that goes to a daycare center. I think it would be easy enough to give the teachers what little food he might try to eat that day... but not sure if they would feel comfortable making such a big switch from their purees. Also I'd have to try and train them to let him eat rather than feeding him. Now that I think about it more it seems impossible as there are two main teachers but many others that rotate through the room for breaks and lunches. Maybe we could just give him solids at breakfast and dinner.

Re: blw & daycare

• imagePrivacyWanted:
    I just said "DD is starting finger foods now , we aren't doing purees for lunch ". And sent appropriate foods. No big explanation needed, I think calling it BLW just makes it sound scarier than it is

This!  Exactly this.

In fact, I thought they might give me the side eye more for continuing with purees when DD was ready to start solids then the other way around.  I think we've been sending finger foods since 8 months?  I did have her practicing at home earlier then that.  Even on the days I'm too lazy and send a packet of puree, she'll get puffs to feed herself.

• I worked in child care many moons ago (before BLW was a thing-or well, before it really had the name BLW).  Really it wasn't an issue.  Before any infant was fed we had the parents fill out a questionnaire with feeding expectations, do and don't, etc. and had discussions with the parents.  We fed the babies whatever their parents brought for them or whatever the parents highlighted on the center's menu as something they could try.

Honestly, it is easier to let the kids fed themselves.  I mean we would still be sitting with the child/children and paying attention, talking to them but not spoon feeding them was nice!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I sent in yogurt melts and told them that we were starting to introduce finger foods.  It's hasn't been a problem.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I don't think it's a problem for daycare.  I didn't do much BLW with DS, but by 9-10 months his teacher was asking me to bring in table food to let him try (which is really the same thing).   I am doing BLW with DD (she is almost a year, but we got a late start with food because of tummy issues).  Her teachers have no problem with it.

DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"